If you could only have one wish

piddy3825

I'm invoking a loophole here by listing two wishes, each of which I would be happy to see included, at the exclusion of the other.

1: Decouple materials from garment type. Select the hide you wish to use, select the clothing item you wish to create. Each material used contributes its own drawbacks and benefits. Rabbitskin clothing would be the warmest and lightest, but it also wouldn't be terribly durable. A coat stitched together from 20 rabbits is going to have a lot of seams...that's translates to a lot of points of failure. But it would be light and fluffy, and make for a nice undercoat. Conversely moosehide may not be the warmest, but if you're wearing all moose, you can pass under waterfalls and not be completely drenched (maybe 20% wet per full second you make contact), and not drop straight to freezing.

2: Endgame scenarios for survival mode that you can work towards. Crafting projects of epic scale and scope, like hauling an old outboard motor from Coastal Highway all the way to Broken Railroad. Use the same carry mechanics from Episode 3 where you're sort of half carrying, half dragging someone, but have to put it down if you want to interact with the world. Once there, you spend 100 hours and 100 scrap metal to repair it. Then haul it all the way back and install it on a little boat. You pull the ripcord a few times, the engine turns over, and the game fades to black. (I figure if they can give old school party line phones a pass, the rudimentary electronics in a simple outboard motor could get one too.)

Or another scenario, you find a bridge to the mainland but it's blocked by rubble. So you need to use an old hand drill to bore holes, craft explosives like in Ep 4, then blast away a layer. But it's not completely clear....so you drill more holes, craft more explosives, blast another layer away. STILL not clear...drill more holes, blast more debris...eventually after tremendous effort you've blown enough debris clear that you can crawl through, stand up and see this long bridge, and the mainland in the distance. And the game fades to black.

Either case it says "You've escaped back to the mainland, and are rescued by the RCMP," or something, your save is deleted as if you'd died, but you get the satisfaction of knowing you made it.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, mayimbe said:

my wish is infinite natural resources and infinite metal minerals in the caves

wow, how much stuff do you go thru?  so since it's only one wish, what's it gonna be?
Natural resources or metal minerals?  If it were me, I'd go with resources.  Considering you will eventually deplete all your arrows and bows, rosehips and reishi mushrooms long before you can possible use up all the potential metal objects that you can convert into useable scrap metal.  

I once scrapped every metal shelf, pail, chair etc in the Carter dam and ended up with literally hundreds of kilos of scrap metal.  It was ridiculous how much
scrap metal I had collected.  I ended up repairing every lantern, cooking pot, flashlight and tool set that I could get my hands on and it hardly made a dent
in my scrap metal supply!

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

wow, ¿por cuántas cosas pasas? así que como es solo un deseo, ¿qué va a ser?
¿Recursos naturales o minerales metálicos? Si fuera yo, iría con recursos. Teniendo en cuenta que eventualmente agotarás todas tus flechas y arcos, rosa mosqueta y hongos reishi mucho antes de que puedas usar todos los posibles objetos de metal que puedes convertir en chatarra utilizable.  

Una vez deseché todos los estantes, cubos, sillas, etc. de metal de la presa Carter y terminé literalmente con cientos de kilos de chatarra. Era ridículo la cantidad de
chatarra que había recogido. Terminé reparando cada linterna, olla de cocina, linterna y juego de herramientas que podía tener en mis manos y ¡apenas hizo mella
en mi suministro de chatarra!

then I'll go for infinite natural resources

28 minutes ago, Corso said:

I just wish  mushrooms, rose hips, old man's beard, cat tails, etc. respawned at a reasonable rate so its worth returning to an area to do more than just hunt or break down anything left behind

yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it?  after you consume the pharmaceuticals you find left behind, the only thing you have to rely on would be homeopathic remedies.  I guess birch bark is the one thing that you get to harvest multiple times as it's the only "medicinal" item that respawns after it's been harvested.  Good for aches and pains, but won't do diddly squat for food poisoning or dysentery.     

• Upvote 3

@meuh,  although entertaining, setting the Book of Eli trailer to The Long Dark's musical score isn't a wish now is it?  You'd probably get more traction if you posted the video in the Fan Fiction section.  So what's your wish exactly?  you're all over the board. 

You only get one wish, what's it gonna be?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

My wish is to have the opportunity to mod The Long Dark.

Mod mean : bring TLD in an other place than a snowy Canada. To create my own region, with special animals (design, sounds and maybe behavior), different characteristics (temperatures, water consumption, food need, etc), ambiant item (music, sound), texture (sand vs snow for ex), if possible some 3D additions or replacement (trees, vegetation, houses, etc).

I think it's possible to offer a new experience and diversity for players with small adjustements (mod). A new region design by player/creator is the first step, different textures the second one. To illustrate what I've done (textures and some 3D objects) a few years ago in a other game. 

@meuh,

so what's stopping you?  just because Hinterland isn't currently sanctioning modding, what is preventing you from modding the game?  There are currently dozens of mods that have been created by very creative modders who have definitely brought some clever ideas to the game.  

Although modding TLD is currently not supported, Raphael has mentioned on more than one occasion that he would eventually be amenable to the idea.  But the game just wouldn't be The Long Dark anymore if you took it out if its context and put it in a desert or tropical local.  That's a whole different game, of which there are also plenty to choose from.    Perhaps you should check out the game called Wasteland Survival, it's currently free to play on Steam...

• Upvote 3

I think a The Long Dark adventure can take place in a desert (or in many other landscapes). I'm not alone : " I don't think of The Long Dark as a winter IP particularly, so you could extrapolate from that what you will." "There's a lot more stories to tell in The Long Dark… "  Raphael van Lierop - Reboot Develop Red conference in 2019 - Source : https://www.vg247.com/the-long-dark-2-sequel . And for example, my trailer based on the book of Eli fit very well with the TLD spirit (my opinion only).

About mod I haven't seen yet mods with new textures, but I don't really know where to search. To be honest, I'm not interested by not supported mods. Mod a game is a lot of fun but also a lot of work so I prefer a stable environment. And I don't have the skill to mod a game without a few official tools or possibilities.

I love TLD. I think the game is really well balanced. So build a different atmosphere and keeping the same mechanics with small adjustments could bring diversity and fun for players and modders. And only new regions made by players could bring a lot of nice exploration stories. It's not the same when you discover a new area or when you spend many days in the same one. 

So my wish is to have one day a mod support. And my definition of mod is to transport the player in a different story (even if it is the player who write the story in TLD), a different atmosphere with just small gameplay changes. I'm not interested by "items mods" (with plenty of new weapons, stuff, etc...) for example. TLD is so strong because of simplicity. Saint Exupery wrote something like "perfection is when you can't remove anything not when you can't add anything more". Nice philosophy for a game (for me).

Edited by meuh

1 hour ago, meuh said:

I think a The Long Dark adventure can take place in a desert (or in many other landscapes). I'm not alone : " I don't think of The Long Dark as a winter IP particularly, so you could extrapolate from that what you will." "There's a lot more stories to tell in The Long Dark… "  Raphael van Lierop - Reboot Develop Red conference in 2019 - Source : https://www.vg247.com/the-long-dark-2-sequel . And for example, my trailer based on the book of Eli fit very well with the TLD spirit (my opinion only).

About mod I haven't seen yet mods with new textures, but I don't really know where to search. To be honest, I'm not interested by not supported mods. Mod a game is a lot of fun but also a lot of work so I prefer a stable environment. And I don't have the skill to mod a game without a few official tools or possibilities.

I love TLD. I think the game is really well balanced. So build a different atmosphere and keeping the same mechanics with small adjustments could bring diversity and fun for players and modders. And only new regions made by players could bring a lot of nice exploration stories. It's not the same when you discover a new area or when you spend many days in the same one. 

So my wish is to have one day a mod support. And my definition of mod is to transport the player in a different story (even if it is the player who write the story in TLD), a different atmosphere with just small gameplay changes. I'm not interested by "items mods" (with plenty of new weapons, stuff, etc...) for example. TLD is so strong because of simplicity. Saint Exupery wrote something like "perfection is when you can't remove anything not when you can't add anything more". Nice philosophy for a game (for me).

yeah okay,  now we are cooking with gas!  you should have said that in the first place!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Kranium said:

cross country skis

Yeah, that and some ice skates, please and thank you!   Considering you can find old downhill ski boots, it does make a lot of sense that cross country skiing would have been an active recreational sport right?  Also since Hockey is the predominant winter sport in Canada, I'd expect to find a set of ice skates as well.  I bet Pensive Pond would have just been big enough to put a little hockey rink in place when nobody was using the fishing shack.  Better yet would be the ability to glide across the ice of Coastal Highway from the fishing village all the way to the dock by the gas station!  Imagine skating circles around the wolves while taking pot shots at them with the revolver!  Fun times, indeed!

btw... Wish Granted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kranium said:

I actually live in rural BC. 3 people in the household, 3 sets of skis. Extremely common thing in rural BC, that and snowshoes. Pretty much essential for getting around in the forest in the winter. Always felt like an oversight in the game.

Snowshoes definitely because the core elements are already present in the game. We already know the player can travel different speeds on different surfaces (you move 10% faster on pavement). And we know equipped accessories can lower your risk of sprain. So...combine the two. Both Crampons and Snowshoes would reduce sprain risk and grant more time on weak ice. But Snowshoes would buff your movement speed on land, while Crampons functionally buff your movement speed while climbing. (They do so indirectly by slowing your stamina drain, and since your climbing speed is based in part on how full your stamina wheel is, the result is a faster climb overall.)

Skis I can understand why they don't make an appearance though. That's a HUGE change to how movement would be handled, especially on hills. Building momentum, having to slow down, equipping/unequipping climbing skins to travel uphill, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kranium said:

I actually live in rural BC. 3 people in the household, 3 sets of skis. Extremely common thing in rural BC, that and snowshoes. Pretty much essential for getting around in the forest in the winter. Always felt like an oversight in the game.

Outstanding!  I'm located just a little south and Mt. Rainier is practically right in my backyard.  That being said, when it comes to snow sports in our household everyone has at least one pair of downhill skis and set of snowshoes.   We love winter camping and slogging thru knee deep fresh powder is practically impossible, but sure gets easy with a decent set of snowshoes.  on a side note, my sons are snowboarders as well so you can add a couple of boards to that mix as well.  No ice skates though as our winters aren't cold enough to sustain any frozen lakes or ponds but then in their stead you'll probably find a pair or two of inline skates in the garage.  

I'd have to agree with @ajb1978 that snowshoes would be a perfect addition considering the mechanics involved.  Would be wonderful to introduce snowshoes as a new craftable item in one of the future updates.  hmmm,  perhaps crafted out of birch or maple saplings and cured gut?  Have to balance out whether or not to craft a bow and arrows for a decent set of snow shoes?  That would add  an element to the game requiring some strategic planning/critical thinking on the players part.  
I really am warming up to the idea and now hope that we might see something develop for future updates!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@ajb1978  Would be wonderful to introduce snowshoes as a new craftable item in one of the future updates. 

Damned straight! It's actually simple (albeit kinda time-consuming) to make a set of snowshoes with nothing more than "green" conifer boughs, some string (TLD= guts) and patience.

Now, when I was a youngin', we used to use cattails for weaving all sortsa things, from fish baskets to snowshoe webbing. I feel like that's a great fit into this game. (always did bother me a bit that in the game you only harvested the 'tails for tinder and the stalks for food, when the leaves are amazing stock for weaving things, and the tubers are edible like potatoes, albeit only after double-boiling)

I've only seen pics of Mt. Rainier, looks like a beaut. I'd love to try backpacking/scrambling there sometime. My most recent journey was backpacking around Mount Robson and the Reef Icefield. My more usual haunts are in the Khutzeymateen area...

Edited by Kranium

I have only one wish: remove the smell of cooked meat. It used to be in previous versions that predators only reacted if you had raw meat on you, which is fine. But killing an animal now means that you need to stay where you are until you've eaten all the meat it provided or let it go to waste. Or at the very least, only have animals track you if the smell indicator shows at least one bar. In it's current state wolves in the vicinity will start tracking you if you only have a tiny bit of meat on you without the indicator showing anything. This would allow travel with 1-2kg of cooked meat and a full stomach, extending the exploration time by at least a day.

But as said, this is the very least - I'd prefer to have the mechanic reverted back to only raw meat and limit it to the area immediately around you. Otherwise the smell mechanic can be and is heavily abused. I can pack myself full of meat/guts until 3 bars are displayed, stand on a ledge and rest/sleep for 12h - predators of half the map will come to me, ready to be turned into dinner.