Confiscation is the most frustratingly weird mechanic in this episode and should be fixed (SPOILERS)

Azdrawee

Spoilers

I've finished episode 4 last Friday and I really loved it, however, there seems to be a pretty problematic mechanic in it that I've seen many people complain about. It should definitely be improved, and the solution to it could be pretty easy.

In episode 4, players get the option to transfer everything from their inventory to a container. This is great and works very well with the confiscation mechanic, however, it doesn't put any equipped clothing or accessories in the container. From this, I assumed that logically, my clothes would never be confiscated - however, that is not the case. While some clothing items stay in the player's inventory, the prisoners take some as well. This forced me to reload a save and rewatch an entire cutscene because I really didn't want to lose my valuable outer layers. In traditional malicious compliance, every time I went to the prison after that, I went there completely butt naked. This created really weird and silly moments, especially at the end of the episode, where I met Jace while being completely naked. This, to me, is honestly really stupid and really detracted from the serious mood of the final cutscene.

The simple solution to this issue is that the prisoners should never take equipped clothing items from the player, regardless of how valuable they are. This really seems like a very simple fix to this confusing and frustrating mechanic, and I would love to see it implemented.

Thank you for reading.

• Upvote 9

I think they should only take outer layers. Because theres a cut scene where the point is made that theyre sending Mckenzie with out any coats on. I think they should perhaps let him keep a jumper and trousers. But take his hat, gloves and coat. You could argue a coat could hide a knife. 

• Upvote 1

They're cold too. And Mackenzie seems to give them his clothes without hesitation, I think he has nothing to object to against a group of evil prisoners.

In general, for the first time I thought that one prisoner was wearing my military jacket, which I foolishly left on myself. Then I realized that this was not the case. But if you change what you're talking about, it's only that things you left behind may well appear on the prisoners)))

In short, the idea is a Minus. I am no longer sure that this will bring any inconvenience to me in the next playthrough. However, newcomers are waiting for a fun unexpected run in the cold. And if they are not having fun, then you can reboot.

and by the way. In the end, by a happy coincidence, I left some things next to the workbench. And he came dressed up for the final.

there was still a funny moment. when I threw the equipment into the trunk, it turned out that one of the prisoners was standing by the barrel and warming himself. do you agree that this causes more perplexity than the fact that things are taken away from you? To be honest, I expected that the developers would think through such a scenario. But as it turned out, everyone doesn't care.

• Like 1

In the event that you have to rewatch a cutscene, you can skip through dialogue by hitting space.

That being said, the easy solution to this issue is to go back in with what you left with. I just stored Mackenzie's initial clothes in a smaller container, so after I dumped all my gear in storage, I popped back on all his personal items and was good to go. To me, this approach just made sense. Mackenzie's survival at this juncture depends on creating a believable lie about his activity. Part of that is avoiding the suggestion that he's collecting a personal stash. If they don't think it's there, they won't look for it. So go back in the way you left.

• Upvote 1

I'm Naked!!!!  I'm Butt Naked!!!

@Azdrawee, best quote line ever!    ..."In traditional malicious compliance, every time I went to the prison after that, I went there completely butt naked."

oh, how I needed a little levity in my morning today.  It just reminded me of all the stuff they took off me the first time I walked back in the prison after having geared up and recovered the medical supplies.  I learned too well after that and subsequently stored everything I owned in the locker in the guard shack.  I entered prison only wearing a ragged pair of socks and an old tee shirt. 

Eat a satchel of richards, Mathis...

• Upvote 6

Did some testing,

Just out of curiosity, I left 22 sticks and a tinder into my inventory at the end of Episode 2. They were gone! It must be a cold place that Blackrock Prison, 'cause sticks were so valuable. 😉
OK, Confiscation mechanics might be totally random. So don't trust my in this. But might be interesting to see what is taken away and how often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niskavuori said:

Did some testing,

Just out of curiosity, I left 22 sticks and a tinder into my inventory at the end of Episode 2. They were gone! It must be a cold place that Blackrock Prison, 'cause sticks were so valuable. 😉
OK, Confiscation mechanics might be totally random. So don't trust my in this. But might be interesting to see what is taken away and how often.

I did that too a couple of times to see what "they" would take and it basically takes everything except one shirt, one socks, one pants, one underwear and your boots.  you've get to keep the bare minimum.  
those sticks make good handles for a prison shank...

• Upvote 4

After the first time and after losing some meat at the fire barrel near the door, I went back in each following time with NOTHING.

Made sure I was fully fed and rested.

In with nothing, and out with some matches and a can, from memory.

I had a base in and around the little external prison outpost office. Stored everything there and immediately outside of there.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Niskavuori said:

Are there any differences between EASY, MEDIUM or HARD playthroughs?
I mean is some items taken away in Hard but not on Easy?

I didn't notice any difference when I switched from capable to green  survivor! I still lost everything!🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niskavuori said:

As was said in South Park: "Those B***ards!" 😉

Lol! 

Got to admit I should've paid more attention on green but I was in such a rush to finish the episode I just forgot all about  it until it was too late!😁

• Like 1

The first time I played I made a series of neat piles of organised gear almost underneath the bus. Thought I’d outfoxed them… but nah 

And yes despite being almost naked when I met Jace I could see my clothing in the fight with Mathis, and didn’t seem to get cold.

It does hinder the game IMO. I understand why it was included from a narrative/storytelling perspective, but from a gameplay perspective it's about on par with requiring that the player find a place to poop.

Because what actually happens is players unexpectedly get their stuff taken away. Weapons, sure I get that. Bring a knife to prison, that's getting taken away. I'm on board with that decision. But your HAT? Come on man. So OK fine, I notice my hat is missing, I reload a previous save, make a point to drop all my gear in that prison office and advance the story while technically naked. Thereby avoiding the consequences.

This entire process does not contribute to the gameplay experience, it directly detracts from it. It's a problem I can easily deal with yes, but why do I have to deal with it?

• Upvote 7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

It does hinder the game IMO.

... but from a gameplay perspective it's about on par with requiring that the player find a place to poop.

Pooping should have been part of the game in the first place if you ask my opinion.  Would have made some interesting game play if a player would have been
vulnerable while using the outhouse!  Can you imagine how hard it would have been to break timberwolf pack morale while you're sitting in a wooden outhouse 
trying to drop a deuce?  lol😆

At any rate my long underwear were full of  💩 after my first venture outta the prison, who knew there were gonna be some many angry wolves!  

• Upvote 2