Hatchet, Knife - why not a weapon function too?

veraziul

Hello Hinterland!

This game is already as awesome as it can get in its alpha state, and I'm kinda playing a relatively old release, so I don't really know if this is already a feature in newer alphas, but it is frustrating.

I mean, the hatchets and hunting knifes should be usable as a weapon if the need for survival dictates. It's kind of unrealistic to have them in your inventory and not be able to chop down or stab a wolf coming at ya, when you don't have any bullets and/or hunting rifle.

So if you haven't already - would you consider making those items equippable as a melee weapon? Of course it should be scripted with the item's condition and have the same effect, or even if you use it for fighting - the condition would drop more rapidly than if you use it only as a tool. Fighting skill is also a considerable new integration to the game.

And why not a bayonet attachment for the hunting rifle (as a separate modification for the gun) - like you can put it on your rifle using a workbench/toolbox? Could even script that to the Hunting Knife - just use some strap or something to tie it to the gun's barrel and voilla - hunting rifle with melee option (could be bound to a hotkey, or perhaps left mouse button while ironsight can be moved to middle mouse button).

Welcome to the forum veraziul.

Like simarson said, you automatically use the best weapon in your inventory when in a melee fight.

But how is it possible you're running an old release? Steam automatically updates the game to the latest version.

Oh, that makes sense. I guess I haven't noticed that. Well - me thinks it's 0.200 or something like that. I don't know what the latest thing is - you might be right.

Still, some kind of model with animations during combat would be nice. I mean wouldn't you like to see how the blade of your newly attached bayonet pierces the wolfie's neck? Pure angelic madness.

This game is already as awesome as it can get in its alpha state, and I'm kinda playing a relatively old release, so I don't really know if this is already a feature in newer alphas, but it is frustrating.

Which version are you playing? Your game should automatically update to the latest version.

Archived