Something in between stalker and interloper


Recommended Posts

I really wish there was something in between stalker and interloper.  At this point, stalker is too easy for me, but interloper relies so heavily on luck.  From where you spawn to the items that drop, luck plays too great a role on loper.  I would do custom, but it acts strangely sometimes and doesn't count toward badges, which I'm still working on.  The skill jump between the two is too great.

I also wish we could make broth in the game.  This would allow you to heat up with meat.

That is all.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Patchouli said:

I really wish there was something in between stalker and interloper.  At this point, stalker is too easy for me, but interloper relies so heavily on luck.  From where you spawn to the items that drop, luck plays too great a role on loper.  I would do custom, but it acts strangely sometimes and doesn't count toward badges, which I'm still working on.  The skill jump between the two is too great.

I also wish we could make broth in the game.  This would allow you to heat up with meat.

That is all.

Interloper has absolutely nothing to do with luck. Not even a little. It is entirely knowledge of the maps and knowing where to go to get resources and shelter. There is also leverage of the game mechanics as well But, There is absolutey zero luck. 
   The only luck you could argue is if you get an easier start like HRV or a harder start like DP but in either case you will still survive out of skill not luck. A skilled interloper player will always survive every run (with the exception of a surprise early wolf attack “through” the torch or fire) and can also survive indefinitely at that.  Every skilled interloper player has a plan as soon as they recognize the map they start on and they know exactly where they are going.  They know the next 2 regions they will visit before they leave the starting one. Also once they get the forge run done and have bow and arrows, the game is owned and survival is as long as they want with way more comfort and leisure. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark
Link to post
Share on other sites

It relies on luck when you know the game well, but don't know every single one of the maps and what drops where.  That was the point I was making when I said the skill jump is too great.  I can survive just fine on loper for a long time in DP, CH, ML, or Pleasant Valley, because I know those maps.  However, I was dropped onto the top of Timberwolf Mountain (which I do not know) about 10 minutes before a long blizzard.  I couldn't see where I was going well enough to even use an online map.  I ended up with hypothermia.  I had no matches or sleeping bag and died before the blizzard was even over.  The next run I was dropped in Ash Canyon.  Similar issues.  

What I'm saying is it would be nice if there was a level that was harder than stalker, but wasn't so dependent on learning every single thing about every single map.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Patchouli said:

It relies on luck when you know the game well, but don't know every single one of the maps and what drops where.  That was the point I was making when I said the skill jump is too great.  I can survive just fine on loper for a long time in DP, CH, ML, or Pleasant Valley, because I know those maps.  However, I was dropped onto the top of Timberwolf Mountain (which I do not know) about 10 minutes before a long blizzard.  I couldn't see where I was going well enough to even use an online map.  I ended up with hypothermia.  I had no matches or sleeping bag and died before the blizzard was even over.  The next run I was dropped in Ash Canyon.  Similar issues.  

What I'm saying is it would be nice if there was a level that was harder than stalker, but wasn't so dependent on learning every single thing about every single map.  

Then like I said. Luck has nothing to do with it. For exactly the reasons you said. Otherwise you must agree ALL play levels rely on luck for the exact same reasons. You don’t need an easier level. You just need to learn another map.  Just as before. 
Everything is magic until it’s science. There is no magic.
 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Corso in that if you want a game somewhere in between you should familiarize yourself with custom game settings.
You can make it as cold as a blast freezer if you like and you can dial up the frequency and aggressiveness of the wildlife, but can still spawn weapons and craft 
bullets as that seems to be what most players want who have previously posted a similar suggestion.  Maybe even try a forever night scenario or try only to survive wearing nothing but worn out tennis shoes and some old driving gloves...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue is that you can't work toward badges on custom settings.  I was playing as something between stalker and interloper on custom until I learned that you can't earn badges.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Then like I said. Luck has nothing to do with it. For exactly the reasons you said. Otherwise you must agree ALL play levels rely on luck for the exact same reasons. You don’t need an easier level. You just need to learn another map.  Just as before. 
Everything is magic until it’s science. There is no magic.
 

I feel like you're focusing on one thing I said and missing my point.  To have to learn EVERY map just so that you can play on a higher level is annoying.  I'm not asking for loper to be nerfed.  I'm asking for something in between that also allows you to earn badges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Patchouli said:

My issue is that you can't work toward badges on custom settings.  I was playing as something between stalker and interloper on custom until I learned that you can't earn badges.

I feel like you're focusing on one thing I said and missing my point.  To have to learn EVERY map just so that you can play on a higher level is annoying.  I'm not asking for loper to be nerfed.  I'm asking for something in between that also allows you to earn badges.

 You ONLY have to know where the critical item locations and key structures are in each map. Knowing those is not luck. It’s a skill. 
 And even if you are correct and you do have to know every map (and I’ll even agree you are probably correct about that): Knowing a map is not luck. That’s a skill. No amount of luck allows you to know a map.
  Therefore, as I said, There is no luck in interloper.

  Any time you dont have a skill, you rely on luck. That’s true for anything in life, not just interloper in TLD. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Patchouli said:

My issue is that you can't work toward badges on custom settings.  I was playing as something between stalker and interloper on custom until I learned that you can't earn badges.

So what are you saying exactly?  That you find it too easy to attain a badge playing stalker mode or that it's too hard for you  to get a badge playing interloper?
This discussion about achievements and badges has been bantered about many times on these forums and is always leaving two polarized points of view.  Those that say it works just fine and those that say it ought to be changed.  To date nothing has changed and probably never will...

In my opinion they just oughta revamp the badges, into categories like bronze, silver and gold like they do in many other games.  I guess Pilgrim players just get a certificate of completion or a participation trophy, lol.    If you've ever played a racing game where the difference of .1 seconds stands between your earning the silver vs. the gold medal then you probably know that you need both skill and knowledge to win.    But like @Lord of the Long Dark said, you don't have to learn every map in intimate detail in order to successfully survive when playing the game.   It helps though...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

 You ONLY have to know where the critical item locations and key structures are in each map. Knowing those is not luck. It’s a skill. 
 And even if you are correct and you do have to know every map (and I’ll even agree you are probably correct about that): Knowing a map is not luck. That’s a skill. No amount of luck allows you to know a map.
  Therefore, as I said, There is no luck in interloper.

  Any time you dont have a skill, you rely on luck. That’s true for anything in life, not just interloper in TLD. 

You are definitely misunderstanding me.  The luck I'm referring to was in spawning in whiteout conditions and dying before I could even ascertain where I was.  That's luck and has nothing to do with my skill.  But, I will 100% agree that you need to know the maps.  What I am saying is that it would be nice if there was a skill level that does not rely entirely on map knowledge, but is harder than stalker and still awards badges.  I cannot be the only person bored of stalker, but who hasn't played since a bunch of zones were added.  I bought the game back in...2014?  At this point, I'd have to play each map JUST to learn them before I can up my skill challenge.  It's no skin off your nose whether or not they do this.

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

So what are you saying exactly?  That you find it too easy to attain a badge playing stalker mode or that it's too hard for you  to get a badge playing interloper?

I'm saying I would like a greater challenge than stalker while earning my badges, but  not as dependent on map knowledge as interloper.  Something in between the scarcity of interloper and the copious amount of stuff that stalker offers.

With this, I'm going to stop responding because I've asked for what I would like and that's all I needed to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Custom settings aren't always cutting it because they aren't granular enough. Especially in regards to loot. There is a gigantic gap between Stalker where loot is everywhere and Interloper where it's very rare. But you can't select anything between.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, manolitode said:

Care to elaborate? 

a lot of the people I have seen playing... so I should correct myself, not most.. know the loot tables. SO say on a new start they spawn in TWM and they go to the Mountaineers Hut and find the heavy hammer... they know which loot table they are on and they now know where every key item they require for survival is in the game. It makes survival so much easier than if loot was randomized in every instance and not predictable and they are therefore playing the system.... if it was random and not predictable then  they would be playing the game.

Edited by Cr41g
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cr41g said:

a lot of the people I have seen playing... so I should correct myself, not most.. know the loot tables. SO say on a new start they spawn in TWM and they go to the Mountaineers Hut and find the heavy hammer... they know which loot table they are on and they now know where every key item they require for survival is in the game. It makes survival so much easier than if loot was randomized in every instance and not predictable and they are therefore playing the system.... if it was random and not predictable then  they would be playing the game.

I would love to have randomized loper loot. The more you play the more you know where possible and guaranteed spawns are. There would probably be way more rage quitting without guaranteed matches ☠️

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cr41g said:

a lot of the people I have seen playing... so I should correct myself, not most.. know the loot tables. SO say on a new start they spawn in TWM and they go to the Mountaineers Hut and find the heavy hammer... they know which loot table they are on and they now know where every key item they require for survival is in the game. It makes survival so much easier than if loot was randomized in every instance and not predictable and they are therefore playing the system.... if it was random and not predictable then  they would be playing the game.

Thanks for clarifying, you make a fair point. Quite a few people seem to do it. I probably wouldn't enjoy that, I like the unpredictableness, but yeah you do have a hunch about the looting table in the back of your head after many playthroughs even if you haven't tried to remember zip, it's like a sixth sense or something. Knowing your looting table likely make your life easier in drunkenloper (whoever coined the term, thank you, you are a legend) but even then there are plenty of other obstacles you have to master to endure. A hammer in your inventory may make you happy but it doesn't make you a long term dopelope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now