For Us Old Guys With Arthritis

c00per

You can change Run to the Q key (or any key you want) in the Options menu. I've been using Q for a long time and it's much easier.

Or you could just change the shift key (or whatever key you like to use for running) to act as a toggle and you don't have to keep it pressed all the time.

But yeah, an autowalk/ run feature would be great. I use a pencil sharpener with a big eraser on it to keep the W button pressed on long walks. Does make it awkward when you encounter a wolf though...

So +1 to the autowalk/ run feature.

+1 definitely to autorun. I've programmed a key on my G19 to continously press "W" but that can't be the solution. Not to mention that the game completely hangs if I bring up the steam gui without disabling the key. But PV without autorun really hurts the hand.

If "autorun" means to Run when the W key is held down, then I wouldn't want that at all - you'd have to tap repeatedly to Walk? That's no good; sometimes I want to Walk slowly downhill (to avoid sprained ankles) by tapping the W key and it sounds like that ability would be lost. If not, how would autorun work? Would autorun and autowalk be two entirely new key assignments added to the menu? If so, that would be terrific.

Hey, guys!

I don't think anyone mentioned this, so I'll go ahead and point it out--but if someone already said it, then please let me know:

There is already a toggle for run/walk. From the main screen, if you select "Options" and then click on the "Controls" menu along the top, then you can choose between "Toggle Run" and "Hold to Run." It seems to work fine, once you've selected the option you prefer.

Hope that helps!

--Gibbon

Orwell,

It's possible that I've misunderstood what's being discussed, but if you select "Toggle Run" from the Controls menu, then when you push whatever your "Run" button is one time (so, not holding the button), then you run continuously until you push that button again, at which time you begin to walk.

In other words, for me, "LShift" is mapped to "Run" in the "Key Bindings" menu and I have also selected "Toggle Run" from the Controls menu. So, when I press LShift once, I run for as long as I want, until I press LShift again.

If this isn't what's being described, then I guess I'm not seeing the distinction, unless people want to have both options simultaneously? That is, an option to run by pressing and holding a button, as well as an additional option to run by pressing a different button once for continuous running.

--Gibbon

They are discussing a feature where you run when you do not touch the keyboard. (at all)

I'm afraid that I don't follow, based on reading the various comments and suggestions in the thread.

Without a voice command or something similar, I'm not entirely certain how we could switch between walking and running without touching a key or pressing some button at least once. Just in case this was unclear before:

In the Controls menu, if you select "Toggle Run", then when you're playing the game, you only need to press your "run" key (whatever it might be mapped to) one time--it does not need to held down.

As soon as you press that key a second time, then you switch back to walking.

Again, I'm not sure how this can be done without touching the keyboard at all, unless you have voice or gesture commands enabled on some other peripheral device.

--Gibbon

[Edited after reading Orwell's clarification below.]

Let me be more specific.

You have an option to move forward: holding down W

You have an option to toggle run & walk: pressing shift once

You have an option to run (without toggle): holding down shift + W

You should have an option to run when you press a button for example X ONCE than nothing else, and the protagonist keep moving forward just like when you hold down W, but you do not have to hold down anything, except pressing the specified RUN key (in this case X) once.

If "autorun" means to Run when the W key is held down, then I wouldn't want that at all - you'd have to tap repeatedly to Walk? That's no good; sometimes I want to Walk slowly downhill (to avoid sprained ankles) by tapping the W key and it sounds like that ability would be lost. If not, how would autorun work? Would autorun and autowalk be two entirely new key assignments added to the menu? If so, that would be terrific.

No, autorun means you press a button and the character will walk/ run until you press another button without holding down the key all the time. Like ChillPlayer said, in many games you press the R button once and you start moving wherever you point the mouse but you don't have to keep the button pressed. In other games it's pressing the W button twice in quick succession. The auto part in autorun means you don't have to keep the button pressed. Not that you always run.

The actual speed of you movement is still controlled using the SHIFT key. Setting it to toggle would almost be a prerequisite for using autorun to run. Or else you'd still have to keep the SHIFT key pressed to run.

Just to be clear for the devs; when I say I want an autorun feature, I actually mean an automove feature. I want a button that I can press once and my character starts moving in the direction I'm looking in until a key (can be the same key, can be another key other than the SHIFT key) is pressed. If I have my speed set to walking I want to be walking when I press this button, if I have it set to run I want to run.

Having a button that would always make me run is of less value as I walk most of the time.

EDIT: missed the second page in this thread :oops: Orwell has explained most of it already.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I would also very much like an automove feature! I have arthritis and holding down W gets rather painful.

I really like the setup in Skyrim, where you have another key (C) to automove and you can still use W for normal movement. Toggling run/walk is a third key.

Hopefully this wouldn't be too hard to implement?

11 hours ago, TinyMouseGirl said:

I know this is an old thread, but I would also very much like an automove feature! I have arthritis and holding down W gets rather painful.

I really like the setup in Skyrim, where you have another key (C) to automove and you can still use W for normal movement. Toggling run/walk is a third key.

Hopefully this wouldn't be too hard to implement?

I second this.

Archived