New main menu theme

Ian086

The developers changed the background and the theme of the main menu to fit with the newest update. I think that it looks really good and has a fitting soundtrack. But if I have to be honest, I'd say that the previous background and music was even better, which captured the atmosphere of the game to a greater extent. Every time I started the game I waited at the menu until the music was over, whereafter the wind would pick up and night would fall. For that reason I hoped that the developers would do a similar thing with the new region, but this time it is just a still image this time with some animated effects. With the new one I don't feel like waiting until the end of the music anymore and I get less into the spirit of playing the game, unlike the previous version. What do you think? Do you prefer the previous concept of the background or the new one and why?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, manolitode said:

Are you guys hearing intro music at startup? Feel free to share, I'm hearing zip since download. Or rather, I hear atmosphere only and figured it was a deliberate choice by HL. Music is set to 100%.  

Yes, below is a video from the main menu after Episode 3 release. It is the same music as after the release of Ash Canyon, only then the background region changed to that one. 

Edited by Ian086
  • Like 1

@Ian086 I'll clarify, I used to hear the intro theme for the other episodes but ep 4 theme won't play on my console. Found it here though:

New Main Menu Music, Fury, Then Silence(The Long Dark) - YouTube

Returning to your original question I rank the themes as follows. Keep in mind that the theme being in question when you start your TLD adventure seem to become the favorite to many, it's all very subjective. 

1. Wintermute. Masterful composition. I wonder if I'll ever get weary listening to it (or talking about it 😉). There's something about the interplay between the plucked strings and mellow piano that summons a certain mood. The tune truly captures the soul of TLD in a way. The calm atmospheric beginnings, the beauty of your surroundings, the crisp cold, and then the sudden panic at a predator encounter or a blizzard and your fighting for your life. Then the calm after the storm. If the TLD movie becomes reality this truly deserves to be the main theme. While obviously not as expensive, the Wintermute theme is right up there with excellent movie theme songs like Time from Inception or the Interstellar main theme. I'll heartily fight anyone who disagrees 😉

2. Fury, then silence. Dramatic from the start. I thought it was a good choice to flirt a little with the horror genre to return TLD to its barren origins. Piano and strings switched parts this time around. You get the feeling that the piano had been glancing jealously on the strings for years and finally got the free reins it deserved to go fullblown classical. 

3. Crossroads elegy. A likeable tune no doubt. The least melodic of the three and too jolly to me personally to feel like TLD. Still very beautiful when the strings act as locomotive around 0:50, I feel somehow like they're dragging the piano along like Astrid carries her survivors to safety. 

Edited by manolitode
"Fur, then silence" being an interesting title, "fury" seems better for some reason

15 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

It would be great, if we could choose the main menu theme in the configuration.

This would be great, I like the older screens - I'd pay good money to have them as a  screen saver but i think they missed a trick not using 1st aid kit again

11 hours ago, manolitode said:

@Ian086 I'll clarify, I used to hear the intro theme for the other episodes but ep 4 theme won't play on my console. Found it here though:

New Main Menu Music, Fury, Then Silence(The Long Dark) - YouTube

Returning to your original question I rank the themes as follows. Keep in mind that the theme being in question when you start your TLD adventure seem to become the favorite to many, it's all very subjective. 

1. Wintermute. Masterful composition. I wonder if I'll ever get weary listening to it (or talking about it 😉). There's something about the interplay between the plucked strings and mellow piano that summons a certain mood. The tune truly captures the soul of TLD in a way. The calm atmospheric beginnings, the beauty of your surroundings, the crisp cold, and then the sudden panic at a predator encounter or a blizzard and your fighting for your life. Then the calm after the storm. If the TLD movie becomes reality this truly deserves to be the main theme. While obviously not as expensive, the Wintermute theme is right up there with excellent movie theme songs like Time from Inception or the Interstellar main theme. I'll heartily fight anyone who disagrees 😉

2. Fury, then silence. Dramatic from the start. I thought it was a good choice to flirt a little with the horror genre to return TLD to its barren origins. Piano and strings switched parts this time around. You get the feeling that the piano had been glancing jealously on the strings for years and finally got the free reins it deserved to go fullblown classical. 

3. Crossroads elegy. A likeable tune no doubt. The least melodic of the three and too jolly to me personally to feel like TLD. Still very beautiful when the strings act as locomotive around 0:50, I feel somehow like they're dragging the piano along like Astrid carries her survivors to safety. 

Just googled the wintermute theme, so now I pretty much understand what you mean haha. I started playing the game almost a year ago so I have never known anything other than the crossroads elegy theme ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 hours ago, Ian086 said:

Just googled the wintermute theme, so now I pretty much understand what you mean haha. I started playing the game almost a year ago so I have never known anything other than the crossroads elegy theme ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Always nice to find undiscovered TLD content :) what was your impression of wintermute theme hearing it for the first time?

3 hours ago, manolitode said:

Always nice to find undiscovered TLD content :) what was your impression of wintermute theme hearing it for the first time?

It's very good, I can totally understand that this would be a fan favourite. I think that the same would count for me if I started playing the game sooner, but for now the Crossroads Elegy theme remains very identical for me, because I always heard that on the main menu. Maybe I enjoy the wintermute theme even more if I listen to it more often. It has to grow on you, you know

• Like 1