Glove/Mitten options

akodo1

I've lived all my life in either Wisconsin or Minnesota, so I'm very familiar with what winter is like and what is available.

For starters - I dislike how clothing stats at 0.1 lb and then moves to 0.25lb, then 0.5 lbs , switching from 0.1 to .25 increments doesn't make sense to me because often it makes the very light clothing have a better warmth/weight ratio.  I see on reason why weight shouldn't be 0.1 increments

But what really bothers me is the options you have for hands.  There are SOO MANYT MITTENS and in actuality, mittens aren't very common.   The only mittens of note are knitted mittens for little kids, big thick hearty mittens for skiing/snowboarding, and leather chopper mitts.  I rarely see anyone wearing mittens, I rarely see mittens for sale.  Here's what I see and suggest.

Below I've tried to cover the whole gamut but here's what I'd put in the game.  I've stacked them from least to most warm.  - (trait) means they are below average on that + (trait) means they are exceptional at that.  Traits I'm seeing are : durability, windproof, waterproof,  not loosing insulation value when wet, protection or armor 

1. Cotton work gloves  - wind, - water - wet - protection 

2. Leather work gloves -wet  +durability + protection

3. knit gloves - wind, - wet - durability

4. knit mittens  - wind, - wet - durability

(thin fleece gloves -wet)

5. Chore gloves - wet 

(lined leather gloves -wet  +durability + protection)

(lined knit mittens - durability)

(neoprene ice fishing gloves +wind, ++water, ++ wet)

6. Insulated fleece gloves  - wet 

(Glomit +wet + durability)

7. Ski gloves + wind +water - wet 

8. hiking mittens  + wind +water - wet 

9. Wool mittens  ++ wet

10. Snowmobile gloves +wind + water - wet

(Winter Ice fishing gloves +wind ++ water +wet +protection)

11. Chopper mitts + wind + water, ++ wet, + durability + protection

(Ice Fishing Mittens +wind, ++ water, +wet + protection)

12 .Expedition mittens ++wind + water -wet +protection

Cotton Work Gloves - For gardening, construction, farmwork, these keep your hands from being blistered.  They are fairly cool in the summer as the air moves through them fairly easily. You will find these everywhere, at the gas station, grocery store, not just where clothing is normally sold.  They will give your hands some protection during the winter but not that much.  Gives warmth but no protection from wind, when wet, and no 'armor'.  These should be the hand-ware you find everywhere.

17565049_L.jpg

Leather Work Gloves - for harder work on the farm like putting in fence posts, working with barbed wire, bailing hay.  They'd give only a slight bit more warmth but more wind protection and 'armor'

10759286.jpg?size=pdhi

Chore Gloves/ Winter Chore Gloves - These were the winter weather cousins to the cotton work gloves, they were made thicker to be more warm and had a bit of windproofing

5414-a__30147.1616414950.jpg?c=2

Lined Leather Gloves - the winter equivalent of the leather work glove

6202_3__81352.1519233774.jpg?c=2

Knit Gloves - these are simple not very durable winter gloves.  Quite stretchable so one size fits most and unisex  in theory but heavily dependent on the color.  I'd stat them as slightly warmer than the cotton working gloves for warmth but giving no wet/wind/or armor

GUEST_3bf4b6a5-b8ed-4297-aed1-3fa762797b

Lightweight Fleece Gloves - Medium weight fleece is an okay insulator on it's own and makes a nice glove, but more of a fall choice, not for deep winter

27827b9c-19df-459c-9859-7323eb78e715_1.4

Neoprene ice fishing gloves - 100% waterproof neoprene or similar materials sometimes over thin fleece for a bit of warmth.  Your hands will stay dry and the gloves will maintain a strong grip no matter how wet they are or what you are trying to hold (like a squirming fish) - or at least that's the add copy. 

BK_D1.jpg

Glomitts - You can expose your fingertips or keep them covered with the mitt flap.  Generally well insulated, but the finger flap just doesn't keep your fingertips as warm as a regular glove or mitten. But being wool - they tend to keep you warm even when wet.

Majestic-3422P-XL-Two-Ply-Ragg-Wool-Fing

Insulated Fleece Gloves - Standard winter wear if you aren't working.  Generally will have 40 grams of thinsulate or similar insulation.  Will keep you warm, good against the wind, but get wet easy , no 'armor'

95e381b4-ab03-4070-9c67-85ef8efe328a.206

Ski Gloves - as above (generally 40 grams of thinsulate, it's really rare to see less or more) but more windproof and waterproof.  However, once wet, does little to keep you warm.

45db1123-d3c3-453f-8c27-e4c8f23a5851_1.8

Snowmobile Gloves / Extreme Cold Gloves (or use Gauntlet - which refers to how much past the wrist they come, good for keeping snow out when you are snowmobiling) - more insulation than your basic ski glove, especially on the back of the hand area and a long gauntlet to keep the snow from getting inside.

fc86cc20-0826-4daa-a38f-01509f1be432?siz

Ice Fishing Winter Gloves - all the features and insulation of the above gloves, but 100% waterproof. Designed to give you good grip even when wet or grasping wet, slippery items (like fish)

81871602059?wid=1200&hei=1200

Knit Mittens  - slightly warmer than the knit gloves because your fingers are together, more intended for the walk from your car to the shopping mall than for deep winter exploring

fq2610_1_cloudzoom.jpg

Lined Knit Mittens - takes the fashion sense of the knit mitten and adds a layer inside to provide an increase in warmth

10497625x1067582_zm?$product700$

Wool Mittens  - Using a double layer of ragg wool mittens like these keep your hands warm.  They tend to get wet, but as it's wool it still gives some warmth

9dfa94fc-2c79-45ed-9fb9-ff5ea9f6dfd1?siz

Waterproof Mittens / Hiking Mittens/ - Analogous to the ski gloves  but slightly warmer.  Good wind protection, doesn't get wet easily, but once wet does very little to keep you warm.

a4e48d18-ecc3-4c36-a1c4-c3e395bbf2ec.b69

Chopper Mitts - Durable leather outer covering thick wool insulation inside (often removable for easy-dry), the idea here is you get durability and warmth but no manual dexterity.  Perfect for chopping wood in the middle of January.

A0211793_2

Ice Fishing Mittens - Extremely well insulated to keep you warm sitting exposed on the ice even in severe wind.  100% waterproof. Designed to have good grip even when wet.

black-diamond-mercury-mittens-.jpg

Expedition Mittens - these are what you wear when at the Arctic or Antarctic, designed for extreme colt protects you from wind and moderate moisture, but isn't really designed to handle getting soaked

f466cdf8-4605-41be-b33c-c7aac419bb82?siz

• Upvote 1

I was torn on if it was worth including the ice fishing gloves/mittens.  In hindsight maybe i'd  drop the both the "snowmobile gloves" and "Expedition Mittens" for the matching ice fishing gloves.  While there's a lot of snowmobiling that goes on,, not sure how many people would have expedition mittens around.  On the other hand, ice fishing is very common.

Right now there are 6 non-crafted non-storyline specific gloves/mittens.

If I had to get this list down to 6 it would be

1. Leather Work Gloves

2. Chore Gloves

3. Insulated Fleece Gloves

4. Wool Mittens

5. Ski Gloves

6. Chopper Mitts

Edited by akodo1

For me, part of the joy of the game is looting and finding new stuff.  The problem comes when out of a set of 6 or 10 or whatever only 1 or 2 are noteworthy and the rest are 'only use until you find something better'.  I'm not even talking B level until you find A level, I'm talking there's too much C level stuff.

Yea, who cares if you find a fleece cowl or a long wool scarf, you either want a Balaclava or a Wool Toque  or  if you are going efficient you want a cotton touque and wool scarf.  So in that sense yea there are too many but only because they made too many non-interesting.  Same with most of the shirts.

This doesn't mean variety is bad, what it means is how the game is using stats is bad.