Hot Air Baloon

FreeSTONE

Would be just great to use many Clothes to build some kind of "fast travel vehicle"... with limited fuel, and unpredictable wind... would just roam over some location - or even between locations. You would only control the altitude (slightly).

Theoretically, there could be some simple wind indicator - so that player could decide, when to land. Could be used to transport large qunatities of equipment - and to enjoy the view.

I would love that.

Edited by FreeSTONE
  • Like 1

Well its a romantic idea but not so sure about making and maintaining one! Not only requiring large amounts of cloth you'd also need to make the basket!  A very large amounts of sticks  or birch saplings would be needed! 

The views would be beautiful (not that they aren't already) and you would see areas from different perspectives!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don’t think we need the hot air balloon for being a vehicle / fast travel system. It’s meant to be difficult to haul gear around, and have to decide what to prioritise the equipment that you need to carry.

Having said that, hot air balloon large-crafting project would be an excellent end-game, I.e. to fly off the island, and return to the mainland. I’m not suggesting that  it needs to fly or be animated, rather a fade to black game ending screen that says something like: “You have taken to the skies, trusting your fate to the wind, with luck you will reach the mainland and begin your search for survivors”.

It’s then up to the player to decide whether their character made it, or if they ran out of fuel over the sea and faded into the long dark. (Could be a good link into Long Dark 2).

I imagine that building the balloon would be an enormous undertaking requiring research book(s) to learn the blueprint, crafting ropes from dozens of dried guts, Jerry cans of oil to use as fuel, a complex blacksmithing project to build the main burner etc.

I’d love to see some big-ticket crafting projects added to the game. As always, adding a possible ‘game-ending’ element should be an option when setting up your sandbox, so that a definite ending is not imposed onto players that don’t want it.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

If you used the developer consoles mod to watch the maps from above, you would see, that they are not meant to be watched from that perspective. They are made to look beautiful from every position on the ground but not from the air. Also, there are many systems in the map, which would need to be completely overhauled, if something like being able to fly would exist. For example, in the ravine there is autodeath when goating down near the ravenfalls bridge (I tried it one time. I was able to get behind the fence and suddenly the death screen with "you died due to inner wounds" appeared). Similar thing with Mountain Town, when you try to goat from the crashed plane to the street behind the tunnel where the prisoners bus crashed.

On the other side, I don't think, it would fit the survival scenario really well. Building a hot air balloon is far from any cost - value calculation. You'd need immense amounts of cloth and stick and stuff. You would need an immense amount of time. For it to fly, you would need the heat. Where do you get that from? A fire by far wouldn't give enough bouyancy. Normal clothes wouldn't keep the heat very well, as they aren't meant to stop air from flowing through. Even when you got that, there is a really high risk, that you wouldn't just freeze to death or die when landing. Maybe the whole thing just bursts in fire in the air.

But that's just a theory,  a GAME THEORY, aaaaaannd CUT!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1