How Do You Bait Wolves Nowadays?

Pencil

I remember that the old way of baiting wolves was dropping meat or fresh gut when the wolves spotted you (this was changed in an update a while ago), but how does it work now? If I drop something smelly, they ignore it and continue pursuing me. I see that there is still a "Wolves Baited" statistic in the journal, but I don't know how to do it. If I drop the meat when they smell me but don't see me, it somehow loses its scent and the wolf stops coming toward me and the meat. Is it not possible to do it at all anymore? 

• Upvote 1

The decoys work fine for me.  One big change is you have to keep moving away after dropping the decoy.  If you stay within a certain distance of the decoy, the wolf will not take it.  Basically, drop the decoy between you and the wolf, and keep moving away, keeping the decoy generally between you and the wolf, and the wolf should take it.  As before, I think there are some small chances the wolf will not take the decoy, but I've very rarely experienced that.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, MrWolf said:

The decoys work fine for me.  One big change is you have to keep moving away after dropping the decoy.  If you stay within a certain distance of the decoy, the wolf will not take it.  Basically, drop the decoy between you and the wolf, and keep moving away, keeping the decoy generally between you and the wolf, and the wolf should take it.  As before, I think there are some small chances the wolf will not take the decoy, but I've very rarely experienced that.

Ok, I'll try this out. It used to be you don't have to walk away, so that's what I'm missing here. I'm glad you can still bait wolves without being able to get an easy shot on them. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Sit in a fishing hut with no stink and throw a rock in front of the hut.  Wolf walks by to check it out but never aggros because there is no scent.  Easy snipe. 

Yeah, I do use fishing huts to shoot wolves and bears. Throwing rocks is super helpful. If you stand too close to the opening though on a doorless hut, you can get still attacked.