How to move up to 30kg into Bleak Inlet pier workshop

acada

I do like the security of the workshop. I dont like the mod, which places a bridge. Another thread where rock cache was used for "jumping" gave me an idea. It requires 1 climb with 50 stones. Then you can use the rock cache as intermediate storage and do the monkey path just once each time you need to go into the shop.

Some could call it cheating. I call it creative use of given mechanics and I am keeping it. :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2021 at 5:14 PM, acada said:

I do like the security of the workshop. I dont like the mod, which places a bridge. Another thread where rock cache was used for "jumping" gave me an idea. It requires 1 climb with 50 stones. Then you can use the rock cache as intermediate storage and do the monkey path just once each time you need to go into the shop.

Some could call it cheating. I call it creative use of given mechanics and I am keeping it. :D 

Thank you for finding my video inspiring!

This trick you use here is quite neat, but there is an even easier way to do it. You can place a rock cache at the pier by the workshop itself (the one that has some stairs going down, just outside the entrance to the workshop). If you place it there, you can reach the cache from the ice beneath and stock up with stuff which you then loot on the other side. Ultimately, it is the same result but less walking while heavy.
I do appreciate the ingenuity here, though - very clever to think of placing a cache there! Great job!

@ZaknafeinThat place was my second bet. But as I described in another thread, the BI is somewhat stone deficient. So after this I did not have stones for second cache. Your place is better when you come from the sea. I usually like to stop by in the trailer. My games are usually voyager. For higher difficulty I would choose yours.

BTW I thought I would be able to use the building right front of the trailer. You know, when you climb up, jump onto boat and enter the storage or what. I swear I saw the main big door somewhat opened. But during my test it was closed. 

I must admit, I am a QA and I was kinda suspecting the game might have some micro movement not addressed. You know, player could open the cache in X,Y,Z and when closing, he could be moved to X,Y+1,Z. Seems like it is covered. I will not pursue it hard. Misusing this would be cheating. BUT when I was hauling stones through Ravine, I noticed different thing. I choose to throw stones down, because I was overencunmbered. So I stood facing the ravine throwing 40 stones. I suspect the character moves a inch forward every time stone is thrown. I had to step back after 20-30 stones thrown. I will check it later.

• Like 1

It took a couple of trips to do the job, but I think placing your rock cache(s) here are easier to retrieve once you've climbed the rope and have run the obstacle course.

I was able to build two such rock caches resulting in my ability to move up to 60 Kilos of stuff with relative ease into the cannery workshop

20210802134925_1.jpg.e144ce31921ab6a79d3728a54f0ae7ad.jpg

you can reach the upper cache from the ground and you can reach the lower cache from the top

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Ingenious. 

yeah, I got the idea from reading the thread started by @Sus-wolf, "Living at BI Cannery"

building a rock cache on the steps was mentioned by @Gracia_WolfSlayer who claimed he had seen it mentioned in another post last year.  I just took his suggestion and fleshed it out a bit.  It takes a fair bit of effort collecting the 100 stones it takes to build the twin caches, but is so worth the effort once completed.

• Upvote 2

@piddy3825Strange. I have tried these stairs, but the cache building was red for me. True is I tried to build the upper one from the bellow. I did not try the lower cache as I was affraid I would not be able to reach it from above.

I kinda suspect, that game designers expected us to play with rock caches and they placed as few stones on BI as they could.

Edited by acada

6 minutes ago, acada said:

@piddy3825Strange. I have tried these stairs, but the cache building was red for me. True is I tried to build the upper one from the bellow. I did not try the lower cache as I was affraid I would not be able to reach it from above.

I kinda suspect, that game designers expected us to play with rock caches and they placed as few stones on BI as they could.

you're playing on pc, right?  it took me hours to get it to work...  lots of fast and furious clicking of my mouse to be sure.   my finger ached for days afterwards.  I built the top cache from the upper portion of the broken stairs and I built the bottom cache from ground level at the bottom of the stairs.   I wasn't sure I could reach the bottom while standing on the upper portion of the broken staircase, but was able to crouch and kinda climb over and then down the  upper cache in order to reach the bottom cache.  I almost didn't make it back up, as it did require some effort, so if you can build one on the upper half of the broken stairway that is reachable from ground level, then I would consider that good.

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid I have some sad news... Not sure which update was responsible, but the option to place a rock cache somewhere on the pier so it could be reached both from below and above is no more...

Apparently someone in Hinterland found the time to paint over the entire area(, that would be useful for this) with a mysterious "Too close to another object" error message, when you are trying to place a stone cache. Interestingly, placing other items does not trigger this message. There clearly is no other object in the way, and it appears to me as a conscious decision.

I'd just like to express my thoughts and feelings about it.

I'm all in when it comes to filling exploits of game mechanics (such as making the animals smarter a while back).
But I do not think this is (was) one.
It is completely within the game logic (and that of common sense), that when you have to move something heavy up, then, if you can, place it on a higher ground, climb yourself, and then move further with it. I would do that in any situation irl. Also, this option has been building on the very solutions added to the game for ad hoc storage. It has also been quite a chore to build - as BI has a very low number of stones scattered around, I always had to bring them from long, perilous journeys from Forlorn Muskeg or via rope-climb from the Ravine. So having a reward for the work invested to move stuff up a bit more easily felt completely valid and well earnt.
This option has been an integral part of this region for me in every run, and one of the contributors to why BI was one of my favorite regions.
(despite having died here more than once...)

Sure, I can always strip almost naked, and move stuff in multiple runs around, making decisions to only do so with what's most important, but this chore is not fun. Making this option impossible does add nothing to gameplay, gives noone any benefit, serves no purpose. In my opinion.
After 1500 hours of complete devotion and love for this game, I feel quite disappointed  - and am not writing that lightly.

Would be interested in an explanation, slightly hoping, that this was just "some terrible misunderstanding", and it would be reversed, but not sure if I dare to hope...
( @Raphael van Lierop @Admin?)

image.thumb.png.95596b155a29a88d0249abef518f5c57.png

image.thumb.png.d21aa167eeb25bc98af93e8c640b31c4.png

...and the lamp is mysteriously not "too close to another object"...

image.thumb.png.b63f33b3c6852e496bf30bd115852f43.png

Edited by AdamvR
typo
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always felt it was an odd design choice that after you complete the whole puzzle of getting to the end of the canary, there wasn't a shortcut unlocked.

Ash Canyon has a similar version of the puzzle and it feels SO GOOD to deploy that rope down and have accessed the shortcut.

• Upvote 1

yep, exactly.
When BI was first added, there was a tweet from Raph saying there IS a shortcut.
A huge craze awoke everyone trying all the different nooks and crannies, all protruding bits of scenery to try attaching a rope to to no avail.
After quite a number of follow up questions it turned out the "shortcut" was the rope to the radio tower, so you do not have to go through 3 regions to get there. (if you come from the Ravine in the first place, it is not even a shortcut, but simply the way towards the cannery).
Cannot quite say everyone was happy for this explanation... (myself neither)
You can search for it in some of the older forum discussions.

I was really surprised that you couldn't place a climbing rope anywhere, when they first released BI. Seems like the perfect use case for that tool! Make you do a difficult task once, and have to haul a rope up too. And then have a short cut from then on, but still with the rope weight filter. I still hope they'll add it some day!

• Upvote 1