Staring at "You Faded into The Long Dark" Screen For Several Minutes

Pencil

I've had two of these moments happen before on REALLY good runs. However, this game is still so great that I always come back after taking a short rage break. I'm sure I can assume that there are very few players here though that have never witnessed one of these moments. 

1. Voyager: Yes! I made it to day 40! (this was a long time ago lol) This is awesome. I have a bearskin coat, rifle + tons of ammo, food, I am set. I'll rest in the PV Farmhouse and grind days. -After a couple days of passing time- Affliction: Cabin fever risk. What is this? I'm not sure, but I don't want to find out, so I'll head outside and spend time in the barn. I set up a fire, get some firewood, and go to sleep for the night. Blizzard comes through. Luckily, I had a fire with me. I didn't remember to fuel it though. As soon as a click the sleep button, the fire goes out and Affliction: Hypothermia Risk appears at the bottom right just before the screen goes to black. You Faded into The Long Dark. I was so upset. However, I'm working on a voyager right now that has passed day 120, so I have moved on. 

2. Interloper: couple months ago. Also day 40, bearskin coat, bow with tons of arrows, 3 improvised knives, 2 improvised hatchets, tons of moose meat piled outside of Quonset Garage, Bearskin Coat, Wolfskin Coat, Deerskin Boots, and all the rabbit gear. What else do you need? Anyways, I'm headed home from a trip to Fishing Camp (don't remember why I went there. I think I picked up some fur that I cured there) and am several yards away from the garage. My bow is in hand, but it should not have been. I here a wolf bark really close by beside me, startling me. I accidently click my mouse after getting scared, causing my character to aim the bow and then relax it immediately. This causes the wolf to charge, and before I can aim the bow again to shoot him, I'm being attacked. My thoughts: "I have a bearskin coat and wolfskin coat; tons of protection. This is fine." Then I blunder; I chose the knife. Nooooo! Don't choose the knife!!! The hatchet! I am rapid clicking my mouse and laptop mouse pad as I watch my health drop. I'm at red health when I finally fill up the struggle bar against the wolf. He runs, my screen is full of rainbows, and I am slowly getting up. Just before I regain control, I die... I stare at the screen for several minutes. I didn't start another Interloper for a long time after that... 

Guys, use the hatchet, or even better, the hammer if you have one. Maybe switch to click and hold. I feel like that's kind of cheating though so I don't do that. Also, don't hold the bow for no reason. Hold a flare or revolver instead. Sigh. I'm still super upset about that loss of an amazing Interloper run. This game is awesome. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Pencil said:

However, this game is still so great that I always come back after taking a short rage break. 

High recognition right there, been doing it for years.

6 hours ago, Pencil said:

This is fine." Then I blunder; I chose the knife.

Recognition factor goes off the charts.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

RIP faithful survivor. You will be remembered for your heroic efforts. 

Holding gun is not always convenient because any time you try to pick something up or open something, there's a good chance you'll shoot. 😊👍

Yeah, what I like to do is hold the revolver while walking, and switch to the rifle if I'm picking up sticks or what not, so that I don't misfire. I think holding a rifle instead of a bow isn't as dangerous since you're more likely to accidently right click then left click if you get startled. 

😄 Sounds familiar.

When I travel, I hold nothing in my hands because when you do, instead of running for your life upon suspicious noise you'll blunder considering your options and get nom nommed while choosing between all those fancy defensive items. First run to the flat terrain and put some distance and then consider. And anything in your hands makes it annoying picking up the loot. :3

Unless I'm going for bottle neck wolf areas like in the Ash Canyon where you have to get to the crampons. Then I have a pistol or a flare gun out, just as I'm about to reach the hairy spot.