The Long Dark Lamplighter - A Custom Challenge

Darkness Is Coming...

In 14 days, the sun will set for the last time.
You must gather 20 lanterns, before the final night.
Perhaps their light will save you from the madness
that the darkness will surely bring.

In this custom challenge, we have 14 days to collect 20 lanterns into a single location. This is in a Stalker-level survival world, and we're a few episodes into the challenge already. Come along for the ride!

PS I am using the Linux version of The Long Dark - Thank you Hinterland for supporting Linux!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5Jf4ybANQ&list=PLlR0_3AmqxeOqb8rFznVObMmcS4bf3Y2w

• Upvote 1

Its just a regular Stalker sandbox. I am using a couple of feats (Snow runner, Free walker and Cold Fusion). I started in Coastal, but you could mix it up by starting elsewhere (or randomly). There is a lot of scope for making the challenge harder or easier, depending on where you start and what difficulty you want to play at.

Hi Jim,

thank You for the challenging task. I collected 21 lanterns and brought them together in the PV town hall by day 16. I did not expect so many lanterns around at all.
And that with no visits to BI, MT, HRV and Spencer's at FM. Maybe I will venture out in the remaining days to secure some more jelly cans.

I had my close calls with bear and wolf mauling, but in the end all went well.

It was a very fun adventure, although I tended to overpack at the beginning, realizing later that the Stalker setting is providing You with an abundance of food and drink.

TLD_Lamp1.jpg

TLD_Lamp3.jpg

Awesome!

Balancing weight, and deciding what things to carry is tricky - I tend to hoard stuff, so its hard to leave everything else behind :)

As you discovered, there are a lot of Lanterns that generate. Normally we tend to find one then ignore the rest. One of the reasons I made up this challenge was to find out how many could be found (with the 20 lantern limit, and the time limit, to make it a challenge with an ending).

Your pictures are fantastic - those lanterns are so bright!!

4 hours ago, Jim MiningWorm said:

Awesome!

Balancing weight, and deciding what things to carry is tricky - I tend to hoard stuff, so its hard to leave everything else behind :)

As you discovered, there are a lot of Lanterns that generate. Normally we tend to find one then ignore the rest. One of the reasons I made up this challenge was to find out how many could be found (with the 20 lantern limit, and the time limit, to make it a challenge with an ending).

Your pictures are fantastic - those lanterns are so bright!!

Have you tried same run but different loot, like tin peaches only or Whetstone's?

Not yet - I'm still doing the lanterns! Since its a youtube series, and I'm only doing one episode a week, its taking a while :)

I do have other custom challenge ideas, although they are not "item collection" ones. But another item collection variation I had considered was collecting every firearm - find as many rifles and revolvers as you can. It would be interesting to see how many generate in Stalker.

19 minutes ago, Jim MiningWorm said:

Not yet - I'm still doing the lanterns! Since its a youtube series, and I'm only doing one episode a week, its taking a while :)

I do have other custom challenge ideas, although they are not "item collection" ones. But another item collection variation I had considered was collecting every firearm - find as many rifles and revolvers as you can. It would be interesting to see how many generate in Stalker.

Not sure what the stalker loot  amounts to as never played that mode, on pilgrim I seem to find a lot more  rifles than revolvers! Odd considering the lack of rifle ammo compared to the ridiculous amount for the revolver!  I'll keep on watching you're vids and good luck on the rest of your run!

Edited by Leeanda