Hours Indoors and Hours Outdoors dont adds up to the day count !


Recommended Posts

Hello brave survivors 

So I have a question: this is a thing I have noticed on all runs, not only on my own runs ,

The hours indoors and hours outdoors for a 50 days run - it says day 50 , - hours indoors 858 indoors , hours outdoors and 373 outdoors , and that sums up to 1231 hours, but it says day 50 so it should be 1200 plus just  few hours.

And this happens ALL the time , 

anyone can help me understand why this happens ?

thank you 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it counts the hours from your first starting hour, but it counts days as full 24 hour day from midnight. So your first day is not starting to count until midnight, meaning the first hours in day zero get added on to your 50 full 24 hour days. I haven't done the math but this same discussion was on Steam some time ago

Edited by Sito
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sito said:

I think it counts the hours from your first starting hour, but it counts days as full 24 hour day from midnight. So your first day is not starting to count until midnight, meaning the first hours in day zero get added on to your 50 full 24 hour days. I haven't done the math but this same discussion was on Steam some time ago

 

I have a file at 234 days - 5616 hours plus few casue it's noon now  , and hours indoors 3957 , hours outdoors 1736 , that sums up  to 5693 hours -, a difference of 77 hours 

so no, it's not that it what you're saying  , for sure !

 

Edited by mariafbb
Link to post
Share on other sites

The explanation by Sito would account for the discrepancy between journal days and days survived.  Elapsed time starts from when one first appears in the sandbox so the first day by elapsed time would be 24 hours after appearing, while for the journal it is already day 1 and it increments at midnight. 

You've brought up something that I never considered.  In my current run I have survived 305 full days (I make the assumption that is 305 twenty-four hour periods rather than days), the journal says it is day 307 (morning) which is not unreasonable, and my combined awake/rested time is 7,471 hours or 311.29 days.  By journal count of days noted as being spent in a given region (Mystery Lake, Forlorn Muskeg, Broken Railroad, and Bleak Inlet) they total out at 292 which has me scratching my head. 

It just occurred to me that the journal has no entry for Ravine. I had gone into the Ravine Basin (then to upper Bleak Inlet) so those days were "lost" not that I spent all that long there.  That probably also is true for Winding River though the time spent awake and resting would be counted.  I don't think that accounts for much of the difference.

So there is a discrepancy.  I can only account for part of the time.  I have been making entries, every day in the journal, and each day says something about locations visited, but I am not going to go over 307 entries to figure out what happened.  That would be too much work.  😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 1:16 PM, mariafbb said:

 

I have a file at 234 days - 5616 hours plus few casue it's noon now  , and hours indoors 3957 , hours outdoors 1736 , that sums up  to 5693 hours -, a difference of 77 hours 

so no, it's not that it what you're saying  , for sure !

 

you are correct. I just did a calculation and i am out 163 hours which is way more than the possible 23.xx to account for day zero. Maybe like UTC-10 said something is not counted as either in or out. I am also thinking the transition zones since i do spend some time there camped in a cave for a few days . 163 hrs would be 6 days which  would account for some time spent in Ravine and Milton Basin. Also sleeping in an ice cave to wait out a blizzard or two.

Gold star to you mariafbb for the math! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sito said:

you are correct. I just did a calculation and i am out 163 hours which is way more than the possible 23.xx to account for day zero. Maybe like UTC-10 said something is not counted as either in or out. I am also thinking the transition zones since i do spend some time there camped in a cave for a few days . 163 hrs would be 6 days which  would account for some time spent in Ravine and Milton Basin. Also sleeping in an ice cave to wait out a blizzard or two.

Gold star to you mariafbb for the math! :)

 

Milton Basin counts as Mountain Town but ravine and others that are not in the days spent stats I think that's the answer to my question.I was thinking the same earlier , I am loading a new file to check this theory !

Edited by mariafbb
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have discovered that it appears that the journal counting elapsed time (i.e. days survived) applies to all regional counters.  Since the counter shows only full days, presumably there can be unindicated hours for each region visited that won't show up until the cumulative elapsed time meter passes 24 hours which would increment the counter by 1 day and zeroes out the meter which starts to build up again. 

I also had a bit of a strange in that the journal entry for Mystery Lake seemed 'stuck' at 218 days despite spending a lot of time in Mystery Lake and until I went into the cave to Milton and came back out where the journal entry then read 219.

The Awake and Rested combined total exceeding the apparent hours for the journal's days survived by way more than 24 hours leaves me baffled.  Duplication of something, somewhere?  Maybe the other "unaccounted for 'regions' " like Ravine, Ravine Basin, and maybe interior transition caves might be double counted???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now