Where is/was Carter Hydro Dam's reservoir?

Jaspo

30 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

Hmm, so that brings another question. If winding river is the reservoir, where did all the water go?

I do believe that @stratvox got it right when he said;  "My thinking is that the dam was abandoned and decommissioned many years before the first flare, and that the pipes have been open and letting water through..."

so, opening the pipes allowed the water to run through, basically draining down the reservoir until the flow was once again equalized.  Just because water flows into Mystery lake doesn't mean that the lake is gonna fill up.  water will continue to slowly seep out of Mystery lake and back into the ocean like it has been doing.

• Upvote 2

@piddy3825Nice work. It could be like that.  Maybe it is just the brain playng games with me because when you are on the Winding river side, you can see the height of the dam. When you are on the Mystery Lake side, you have no such thing.

When you enter from the ML, you go down to enter turbine room. If the turbines are not under the river going from dam to the Mystery Lake, you are right.

• Upvote 1

While I do agree, Mr.Piddy, the maximum power of my brain is fighting back! For me it feels like(looks like) winding river water level is lower than it is of the mystery lake, so if the water doesn't flow into mystery lake, where did it go? Perhaps some underwater caverns that the world forgot and is left by hinterland to experiment with DLC? Getting metro last light vibes here..

Edited by Stinky socks

Nah, Piddy, your story doesn't hold water (ugh, a pun 🙃)...if those lines you drew on the back of the dam were truly the water level of the reservoir, how could there be so much dam structure height above that waterline on that side, but much much less height of that same structure on the mystery lake side?

Unless of course, the dam were to empty into an underground river that just so happens to run under the above ground river that then somehow comes from nowhere and empties into Mystery Lake. I mean, I'm not saying its 👽, but its 👽.

• Upvote 1

I think it's pretty much a case of they replaced a waterfall with the dam, because the key items for hydro power are height and volume of water. The size of the reservoir on the other side doesn't matter nearly as much. Now Hoover Dam (for example) has a huge reservoir, because it's being used for water management AS WELL AS electrical generation, to help accumulate water to use in the SW desert, but that's clearly not an issue on Great Bear, which is (according to canon) somewhere in the temperate rainforest archipelago of the BC coast, so no need to have a reservoir; all they need is water dropping a lot of height in a short distance and period of time to generate the electricity.

It's like the Churchill Falls dam in Labrador on Canada's east coast; it doesn't have a big reservoir but is quite capable of producing very large amounts of electricity thankyouverymuch.

For me it will always flow from Mystery Lake river to Winding River. 

Now that I think about it, given my belief, the dam's infrastructure is laid out incorrectly.  The power generation (the water turbines and the generators connected to them) should have been nearer the base on the Winding River side.  On the other hand, if Carter Hydro was more of a low head power generation dam that would make sense for Mystery Lake but it would not be as massive as shown in the game.

I suppose, as I have thought about Ash Canyon, the Mystery Lake Region is laid out fine for adventuring/exploration/gaming purposes but it would not work (or not work at all well) when considering someone actually having to work (or live there as the case may be).  But that's just me. 

Well, 

and that is a deep subject...  lol

I'll let the last wire frame pic do all the talking for me.  At any rate, I'd agree with @UTC-10 that the dev's idea regarding infrastructure is probably laid out incorrectly.  
It's apparent however that the old industrialist Carter built a gargantuan structure, something that would stand for centuries.  I don't think anyone is gonna be tearing it down anytime soon!  So maybe if we are lucky, the dev team will chime in on this debate and help set the record straight.  I know, wishful thinking on my part.

Game on! 

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 2

On 9/18/2021 at 2:44 PM, Semple Fi said:

Here’s my contribution…. 
image.jpeg.029edf39fbe206e627d1b8411ddfd280.jpeg

Now it makes perfect sense!  
Also, perhaps the history of seismic activity that caused the dam closure has something to do with the water flow discrepancy…

So the clear implication here is that Mr. Carter resides on Santorini in a parallel universe.

• Like 1