Wolf, bear or moose coat, what’s your preference?

Cranky

I think for most of us the wolf coat is the first go to crafting coat being that it’s the fastest to make and easiest to acquire the pelts. 

Once I’ve made wolf coat I always skip the bear and find me a moose. Personally I like the moose because it’s mobility and protection seem to be the best overall. 

What do y’all veterans think? Anyone stay with wolf or prefer bear, why?

I like wolf coat because it looks cool in the menu😋and super easy to maintain. Second sloth is filled by exp parka, so there goes my choice. Tried bear coat and didn't like it much, but it did save my life in ash canyon narrow passage when I got hunkered down and BOORYA(heavy snowstorm) wasn't letting up.

Never tried moose jacket.

Deerskin pants, boots, and rabbitskin hat and mittens would be the usual thing I would always do and if I get into the mood then the wolfskin jacket. I don't really need  or want the bearskin stuff or the moose hide stuff except for the moose hide satchel, of course.  I do not really need the warmth or protection as I play Pilgrim.  So the wolfskin jacket among the choices would be the best tradeoff of warmth and repairability for me.   If I do make a bearskin coat or moose hide cloak, it usually would be for the novelty of it or if I found a repairable example somewhere, like the bearhide coat I found in Ash Canyon. I am not sure I would ever wear that coat if I got it fully mended. 

I currently use moose cloak and bear coat because of warmth and protection. It's heavy but I like to remain well fed. With those and the rest of the clothing mother nature provides us it has turned out to be pretty safe to get mauled by a bear if you're at decent health to begin with. If I maintain my clothing above 70% condition they usually don't get destroyed by the bear, otherwise the rabbit mittens and hat might. I don't have crampons equipped at the moment even though I probably should as I play somewhat offensively. Guess I'm a little in love with my yellow ear wool wraps.

• Like 1

My current run is on Voyager. I have made perhaps 7 wolf coats that I have distributed between my bases in Mystery Lake, Milton, Forlorn Muskeg, Pleasant Valley, Coastal Highway and the Ravine.  My usual stepping out wardrobe is a wolf coat over the expedition parka. This sort of outfit along with the cloth bedroll means I have carrying capacity to spare for day trips.

Two moose cloaks I crafted are sitting unused as I prize warmth over protection. I also like the possibility that wolves may run in fear when seeing the wolf or bear coat.

The two bear coats I made are stowed at bases where I find it easiest to ambush additional bear pelts for repair - PV Farmstead and CH Fishing Camp. I prefer the bear coat over the wolf cost when exploring new regions or whenever I venture into any area where shelters are scarce.  For more dangerous treks I prefer the bear bedroll and insulated boots for extra warmth.

It only matters on interloper- on all the other levels weather is not a factor so it’s best to not even use animal coats-  you save so much weight using the expedition parkas and the wolves hit like marshmallows even in stalker so protection is unneeded. 
  In interloper I go for the double bearskin but a lot of people go for the moose coat due to the protection. But the bearskin also offers great protection and the fact you take way less cold damage makes up for the slightly lowered protection. 

On 9/14/2021 at 12:16 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

It only matters on interloper- on all the other levels weather is not a factor so it’s best to not even use animal coats-  you save so much weight using the expedition parkas and the wolves hit like marshmallows even in stalker so protection is unneeded. 
  In interloper I go for the double bearskin but a lot of people go for the moose coat due to the protection. But the bearskin also offers great protection and the fact you take way less cold damage makes up for the slightly lowered protection. 

In stalker I find weather and wolves to be a factor in some regions such as BI, FM, and Coastal Hwy. 

Wait... you can find Bearskin coat in Ash Canyon??? 

I always make a wolf skin coat on all of my survival runs. I've always made the bear skin coat afterwards, but since it takes a long time to make the coat, I'm thinking of making the bedroll instead. I've always made a moose hide satchel whenever I get moose hide, so I've never made the coat before. I want to try the moose coat sometime. 

Just realized yesterday that expedition parka is the same warmth as the wolf skin coat... I was like O_O. Honestly, I was actually mad, because I was determined to make a wolf coat, and then it felt kinda pointless because I had 2 expedition parkas. At least it gives you more protection... I guess it's useful for Interloper since you probably won't find any expedition parkas (and if you do, I doubt you will find 2). 

Yeah you may find the AC Bearskin coat just sitting around in the snow, randomly. Semi near to the Gold mine rope spot, a bit before the outdoor cave...

But just as with bearskin bedroll and moose coat I never ever use it, even on Deadman it's just too heavy and annoying to repair... the wolf skins are superior. And the warming up buff teas are always the best source of travelling warmth anyway. So in short, wolf skins for upper body, deer for lower, rabbit for rest.

I guess now that you can have up to 45kgs of luxury minimum carrying capacity (30kg base, +5kg well fed, +5kg technical packback, +5kg moose hide satchel) one could say that you might just as well use the bearskin, but I don't know... better save extra space for more coal I think

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1