September 2021 Developer Diary

Admin

18 hours ago, Admin said:

For our Survival Mode fans, Blackrock Region will be added to Survival Mode before the end of the year, along with a few other additions. 

After we launch Episode Four, I’ll post some details about our plans for THE LONG DARK, onward to Episode Five and beyond, including how we plan to update Survival Mode in the future, our plans for Mod Support, and more.

YES!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Did not expect Blackrock in survival mode any time soon, so that is a big bonus. Also intrigued by the 'few other additions' mentioned.

The artwork gives more clues as to the size of the region (and the prison within it), my guess now would be similar to bleak inlet/the cannery, although visually the new region looks most like ash canyon in this image.  

Also, I don't want to draw too many conclusions from artwork rather than screenshots, but that does appear to be a gun on McKenzie's back and it may be a little shorter than the current rifle?

Could be a shotgun. That would be a logical addition to the game; short range deadly, not so great at long range.

Question is... can it deter a charging bear?

ETA: also, a shotgun would be a logical firearm to find inside a prison, so having Will find and use one would make narrative sense. I could see that being reason enough to add it to the game.

Edited by stratvox
Moar thinks
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

What about stealth?! You can't blast your way past 50 criminals. Well, I mean you could, but not Will!

I have similar thoughts, an hour of cutscenes makes me think most violence will be in the cinematics while us players just need to focus on keeping Will alive during gameplay. Probably through stealth and mobility. 

I dont think the game will don shooter mechanics this late. If they did somehow make fully animated game world humans that can immersively patrol, take cover, and fire then I'd be quite surprised! Doubly so if it made it to survival mode. 

The last time they mused about something like that was wayy back in like 2014-15 and I think it was a good call that they did drop it. If implemented right I'd have no complains tho. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adamo said:

Excellent I’m tempted to replay from ep1 again 

and you should!

I decided to do a replay, except this time around I'm not in any hurry to move along the story line. 
It's more like playing a survival walkthrough, taking my own sweet time in the process!

14 hours ago, Jb565778 said:

Is Preserverance Mills going to be added? I know you guys are working on the Blackrock thing, but has that ever been a thought? 

Most likely it is going to be added in chapter 5. If anything its going to be either A: a cutscene type of ending or B: a explorable area with some quests where the last part triggers the ending. It wouldnt make sense if they never add the one thing that is talked about in game the most. At least in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Lol yes ep3 carrying , but generally I had zero experience of survival games or modern game interfaces when I played before and it was really difficult to even comprehend how to do something , this time around yes I think a harder mode would be excellent:)

Edited by Adamo

On 9/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, peteloud said:

60 minutes of cinematics.  I usually find cinematics time wasting and want to skip them.

I imagine that the main character will run in or out of prison and talk to other prisoners - maybe even trade items? Of course there must be some dialog. I acutally look forward to it.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, stratvox said:

Could be a shotgun. That would be a logical addition to the game; short range deadly, not so great at long range.

Question is... can it deter a charging bear?

ETA: also, a shotgun would be a logical firearm to find inside a prison, so having Will find and use one would make narrative sense. I could see that being reason enough to add it to the game.

that all makes sense, especially finding one in a prison.  however I think the points people raised about HL not massively overhauling the firearms system also have merit.

one possible option could be a carbine- essentially the same mechanics, sights, even ammo as the existing rifle, but a benefit such as lower weight (which would be consistent with the benefits gained from crampons/technical backpack in the last update).

as HL have also moved more towards one off gear such as the crampons, maybe survival mode could see a single carbine available in Blackrock to entice exploring there, especially for long game players looking to maximise weight savings?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

that all makes sense, especially finding one in a prison.  however I think the points people raised about HL not massively overhauling the firearms system also have merit.

one possible option could be a carbine- essentially the same mechanics, sights, even ammo as the existing rifle, but a benefit such as lower weight (which would be consistent with the benefits gained from crampons/technical backpack in the last update).

as HL have also moved more towards one off gear such as the crampons, maybe survival mode could see a single carbine available in Blackrock to entice exploring there, especially for long game players looking to maximise weight savings?

That would make sense. One of the main reasons for players not using the rifle is it’s weight :)

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, vlgligor said:

I hope the region will be available with the Halloween event (if any) and the Episode 4 released before Christmas (wishful thinking) :).

Episode 4 will come out before the new region becomes available for Survival.

Halloween event, not sure there is any chance for it this year with the limited time there is. Maybe some jack o' lanterns on the main menu?

Sooo can't wait for this update! I have only been playing since Feb this year so haven't waited as long as others. Just can't wait to see how the story plays through.

and really excited about new area too :) all that loot to find 😁🤑🤑

(I know its not money, but thats what it feels like 😂)