Reclaiming Wood - Prybar

Willbonney

Howdy Folks,

Found something else that doesn't make sense to me. That being the "best" tool for reclaiming wood is the hatchet for some reason, and you do not even get the option to use the Prybar when attempting to Reclaim Wood from structures. A Prybar however makes more sense, as you are typically pulling up nailed boards from flooring. Sure the Hatchet should be better than bare hands, however the Prybar should be the quickest and easiest method.

Most the furniture I see around are chairs, desks, bunk beds, some crates, and shelves. Shelves don't need tearing up and a quick kick would break up the crates, and I suppose a hatchet would work all right for the chairs. But for the bunk beds and desks, yeah good luck with tearing them up with a hatchet (unless they're Ikea). Much better off using a Prybar. Floorboards or siding, a hatchet is next to worthless.

That's how I look at it: breaking up furniture. I wouldn't really consider pulling up the floorboards of a building I'm using (or might be using) for a base. As for other buildings, why stop at the floor. Why not pull the whole building down? But maybe it would be easier to just forage for hardwood.

Because crafting snares requires reclaimed wood... Currently I'm trying to have three sets of a ten snares in seperate locations in order to push my long term survival more. And 30 reclaimed wood, not including any I'd at some point need to replace, takes too long in my opinion when I have a perfectly good Prybar in my inventory that should be speeding things along.

Although there have been times were i wish that wood foraging would be tied to location, like if i tried to forage for wood just outside of the fishing village where all those pallets are, im sure my prybar could make all sort of reclaimed wood from that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you could use a prybar to reclaim more than just wood. You could try to reclaim nails, glass from windows, bricks from fireplace, or pipe from a stove (though that is far fetched).

Take some nails, hammer them through a a cabinet door and go lay it out with the nails up next to a bloody piece of meat. Wolf walks on the trap, becomes lame and the player can come by and finish off the poor bugger (if it does not freeze to death). Reclaim enough cabinet wood and nails to build a box with a stove pipe and make a smoker. Build a simple box trap and catch a rabbit (instead of snaring it, giving you a live animal to cage or use as bait for a larger animal). Heck, we almost have everything we need to make a fish trap.

Archived