Pistols please.

Willbonney

On topic, you gotta think that whoever goes to the trouble of building and stocking a bunker in the wilderness has probably (definitely) considered including some sort of weaponry.

I get the feeling that the "bunker" is mostly already cleaned out, like all of the locations in the game. I mean, c'mon, a prepper cache with 10 liters of water and a dozen cans of food?

yeah, true enough, I agree. But there's still SOME things there that the previous scavengers missed.. It only has to be plausible, not realistic :)

True Preppers start prepping even before the dang bunkers are done (read about one guy who was still working on his air vent, died when stocking it with food/water because he closed the door and couldn't get out, C02 and done).

As for rarity of pistols, most recent report I googled says close to 1million registered pistol users, with a "guesstimate" of at least 2 if not 3 million unregistered. Even if it is a total of 2million, that's still like 5% of the population. Indeed rifles are more used and owned, think close to half the population has one registered. But men never grow up, you tell us we can't have something and we get it anyhow. An unregistered pistol in Canada is like those Playboys under your mattress when you were a kid. Sure, you're not supposed to have them, doesn't stop a lot of folks. Just don't get caught. Didn't stop me from getting ahold of a couple while I was living up there, and I'm not even a citizen (and thus couldn't be a registered carrier).

An unregistered pistol in Canada is like those Playboys under your mattress when you were a kid. Sure, you're not supposed to have them, doesn't stop a lot of folks. Just don't get caught.

lol.. I'll have to agree to disagree. :) I don't even know someone who owns one (aside from police officers). Though I suppose I could and just don't know they have one--I know lots of people with other firearms. I'll admit, you've made me somewhat curious :)

With regards to TLD, it doesn't really matter how common they are, because it's still plausible that one could be encountered.

I'm now all for pistols for wolf attacks. After 17 days i get attacked by a wolf coming out of my house. I fend it off with a knife, it runs away. I go back into the house at about 80% and bandage up. I come back out and get attacked by another wolf. fend that one off, im at 30 %. as soon as that one is gone i get attacked again before i can blink .... 17 days and 16 hrs later im dead because wolfs apparently stocked my house in a pack and the only tool at my disposal is a knife.

I would rather not see pistols, but if it were part of the story mode... or in a more populated area I could see it happening... but at this stage it just doesn't fit with the conditions or settings of the maps. Remember it's Canada... the types of places we're seeing are places where hunting and fishing are a part of the lifestyle... people own rifles, not pistols! I have lived and traveled in different parts of Canada from larger cities to small towns and know very few people with pistols. I know one guy with at least 10 rifles but he's never owned a pistol. Most people who would have a pistol in Canada would live in a city or suburb.

I get that some of you would like to see some variety, well there sure are a lot of different rifles out there I am sure a few different models could be implemented to the game. For decades the Canadian Rangers have been using the Lee Enfield bolt action rifle as they work really well in the cold. Here's a recent news article relating to the Lee Enfield rifles. http://tinyurl.com/lazeget

As for other weapons like automatics, semi automatics and pistols... remember in -0 temperatures things are frozen, weapons aren't working like they would in a warmer climates... things jam a lot more and are a lot harder to clear and clean when it's in the -0 temperatures. Just some things to keep in mind.

I had the exact same gut reaction to to the OP. But I've come around a bit.. :)

Still happy either way, but I see the benefits of having a few different firearms.. It's not variety for the sake of variety that interests me, but rather the different play strategy you would have to adopt depending on what you find.

As for pistols in Canada, I agree generally with your sentiments. But, all you need is police officer in the neighborhood to make handguns a plausible find. And they do have RCMP outposts in very remote towns. (Also, prepper caches. Who wouldn't put weapons in theirs?)

(Also, prepper caches. Who wouldn't put weapons in theirs?)

Me, as I had not knowledge (or interest in gaining knowledge) how to use them anyway! :lol:

I'd rather try to create some closed ecosystem within the bunker (algae tanks for oxygen supply, vegetable patches and some chicken ->vitamin B12 for food, cattail ponds to filter sewage, giant batteries to power the numerous low pressure sodium lamps you would need for the plants) and make sure to be completely independent from the surface.

You'd need a load of money and a vast bunker for this, though. Several dozens square metres per person at least. (You should take your spouse, children or close friends with you ofc, for obvious as well as psychological reasons).

But in case you succeed, you could just stay in your bunker for a few months or years and wait for the rest of humanity to bust each other's heads and perish (or get back to their senses and become peaceful again). ;)

I guess TLD would be an extremely boring game if you could find such a kind of self-sustaining bunker in it.^^

Something I thought of after reading this is to be able to fabricate a spear in game. It is a good defensive weapon and can also be used as a walking stick to help you through the deep stuff. It conforms to the premise of the game as well..

Assign 5 to it once created and as long as you have it out or can enable it quick enough you would be able to fend off a wolf/bear attack and possibly kill one by stabbing at it.

It would require the knife or hatchet to cut it and a fire to harden the tip. It would be something that could be created in the wild with just a camp fire and hardwood as well as be susceptible to breakage if not maintained.

Archived