Pleasant valley animal respawn

out4dolo

I don't know if this belongs in the bugs forum or this forum....but I do think that the wolves/deer/bear respawn on Pleasant valley is literally broken at the moment?

In other maps, no matter how many wolves/deer you kill, they will eventually show back up in their normal areas.

on pleasant valley, once you've killed them, their dead...and it seems forever. One argument suggests that, the wolves,deer,bear are smarter or something on pleasant valley and that they will naturally move to another area where they didnt die...but this is untrue as I have killed alot in my play through (im on like day 127 now), and they all arent moving into one area of the map as I have cleared out most of the map. They are just literally dead, forever. The only animal that seems to respawn are the rabbits.

that doesn't seem to be working as intended.

second thing is, just a suggestion

first I want to preface this with the fact that I love this game so far, and am quite enjoying it very much. As I have played over the course of alpha, there were times where I wanted something implemented, and then a week later, it got implemented, for example, I was thinking how dying from food poisoning once you run out of antiboitics was cheap/broken, and then it was changed so that you could beat it with alot of sleep.

then I felt like, man "we need to be able to make clothing items out of skinning animals because once you run out of cloth, you're fucked"....then later came the deerskin boots, wolf coat, and rabbit mittens...

Now, I just need SOMETHING else to do when I am fundamentally stocked and well off for awhile. This is now where the game gets SUPER boring (kinda like when your on day 100 and you have alot of everything and you're just eating drinking and sleeping only). What that is? I don't know. Let us find a deck of cards and play solitaire or let us build something bigger than the small items with wood we can forage, let us find a jenga play set and play jenga, etc....

Just something else to pass time other than sleep.

I don't know if this belongs in the bugs forum or this forum....but I do think that the wolves/deer/bear respawn on Pleasant valley is literally broken at the moment?

In other maps, no matter how many wolves/deer you kill, they will eventually show back up in their normal areas.

on pleasant valley, once you've killed them, their dead...and it seems forever.

I agree, and because of that problem, I set TLD aside to play something else for a while, hoping it will be fixed in an update. It's not that you can't find game to hunt, because you certainly can (and you can snare rabbits), but the "threat" has turned into getting caught in a blizzard while searching for that elusive game. For me, that gets old really fast - it's more tedious than challenging and fun.

second thing is, just a suggestion ..... Now, I just need SOMETHING else to do when I am fundamentally stocked and well off for awhile. This is now where the game gets SUPER boring (kinda like when your on day 100 and you have alot of everything and you're just eating drinking and sleeping only). What that is? I don't know. Let us find a deck of cards and play solitaire or let us build something bigger than the small items with wood we can forage, let us find a jenga play set and play jenga, etc....

Just something else to pass time other than sleep.

Couldn't agree more.

if it was on purpose it wouldnt make sense. why would I ever want to stay in PV? id finish my game in ML or CH as I would have more food sources available. I doubt the developers would make such a HUGE map only to force us to not want to stay there and stay in other maps because the animals dying forever in only PV. hopefully we get a response on either forum.

Remember this is alpha sandbox mode. It's likely in story mode you'll have to move on for various reasons. Scarcity of resources being just one of them.

I don't understand posts like this. as if I somehow forgot it was in alpha or something....

Why even post? Why even have a forum? "It's alpha guys. dont talk about possible bugs or things that make no sense or make suggestions, because its in alpha guys."

smh

secondly, I've been on all 3 maps within this playthrough so I've moved on (multiple times), and only on pleasant valley, the wolves, deer and bears are not respawning. but the rabbits are, and this is just a fact. and it doesn't seem to be working as intended because why would this only occur on this map? how would that make any sense at all? your comment makes no sense, what does that have to do with anything i said? scarcity of resources? the whole game is about scarcity of resources. what does that have to do with wolves,deer, and bears not respawning on PV? are you really suggesting the developers were like "So yea, lets not let deer, wolves, and bears respawn on PV, but on other maps, because, We are going to make this huge map, but we want players to not stay here, we rather them stay in CH or ML once all resources are gone." no, that makes no sense.

Each region has it's own challenges. The devs have tuned and are tuning each area to contain different challenges. It makes sense to make a player need to move around, to NOT be able to settle down in a single area.

PV has the hands down best base spot (the farmhouse) I like that it has very scarce food options. Just like ML has a TON of food, but a lack of resources to keep you going forever. So eventually you'll need to move on just like it should be in every area.

Each region has it's own challenges. The devs have tuned and are tuning each area to contain different challenges. It makes sense to make a player need to move around, to NOT be able to settle down in a single area.

PV has the hands down best base spot (the farmhouse) I like that it has very scarce food options. Just like ML has a TON of food, but a lack of resources to keep you going forever. So eventually you'll need to move on just like it should be in every area.

the way you speak, you speak as if you are speaking for the dev, or the dev has specifically said that "PV will have NO deer/wolf/bear respawn to be different from the other maps"

Please do tell....are you speaking on behalf of them and that they have specifically stated this...otherwise your whole comment is null and void.

Secondly, Your comment still makes no sense. So are you saying the maps are tuned differently in which PV's "Benefit" is best base spot? that's ridiculous. Cause Trapper's is just as good as PV's "Best Base spot" except the animals actually respawn. there is no Real Benefit of your so called "best base spot" if there is no food. Thus, it isn't the best base spot.

How in the hell does ML "not have enough resources for you to go on" but PV does with animals not respawning whereas they do respawn in ML? smh...that makes absolutely NO sense. your logic is completely flawed.

Again, Animals not respawning at all appears to be and seems like a bug, and Until a dev says otherwise, I think its a bug and discuss it on a forum where the dev set up forums to discuss these sort of things. and Guess what, You NEVER really have to "move on" from trapper's because animals respawn. Same could be Said for the Gas station in CH. However due to animals not respawning at all (Except for rabbits), you do have to in PV. Because of this, this appears to be a bug.

Hinterland has said they're experimenting with different respawn mechanisms on different maps. It could be that the respawn rate on PV is set really low. It could also be a bug. But if you think it's a bug, you should post it in the bug forum.

Interesting question pikkue. I would like to know the answer as well.

Hinterland has said they're experimenting with different respawn mechanisms on different maps. It could be that the respawn rate on PV is set really low. It could also be a bug. But if you think it's a bug, you should post it in the bug forum.

Interesting question pikkue. I would like to know the answer as well.

I see. Not seen their post, but sounds reasonable.

To my question before:

If so, I'd really like it to be like that, so you've gotta be forced to travel much more.

I created a thread about this shortly after the release of PV and it was already discussed over 4 pages:

http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3843

Interestingly my opinion on this shifted completely in the opposite direction, I think it should stay exactly the way it is, maybe even get rid of some deers. Neither CH nor ML manage to build up so much drama like PV, it is the most exciting map exactly because you can't just shoot a deer/wolf right outside the door of your camp. I never felt as much as a survivor than after sitting 20 days in a cave trying to get some bear meat and the pyschological reward if you survive this map is just awesome, it's the only map where I truly feel that I have to fight for my survival. CH and ML are a cakewalk in comparison, all you need is ammo and a steady aim.

If you want a reliable food source in PV you have to go for fish or bear as long as they are there. That's my tactic for PV btw: live off bear (~120KG=60 days) for as long as there are any, try to find the bunker along the way and kill the occasional deer/wolf. Once the bears are gone, so am I. No point to hunt for wolves on a map where there are almost no wolves ;)

Nope I don't speak for Hinterland.

PV farmhouse is the not the benefit, it is simply the best base camp in the game.

ML has limited resources not food but cloth and metal. So you'll need to harvest from other maps eventually.

still totally missing my point. you can take all the resources out of PV and CH then plunker down in ML, or Take all the resources out of PV and ML and plunker down in CH due to animals respawning, but you can't in PV due to the no respawning, which again, doesn't seem to be by design.

and now the dev confirmed it. so that's that I guess.

Again, Animals not respawning at all appears to be and seems like a bug, and Until a dev says otherwise, I think its a bug and discuss it on a forum where the dev set up forums to discuss these sort of things. and Guess what, You NEVER really have to "move on" from trapper's because animals respawn. Same could be Said for the Gas station in CH. However due to animals not respawning at all (Except for rabbits), you do have to in PV. Because of this, this appears to be a bug.

+1

I'm almost sad that it's a bug. :cry:

It's hard to explain, but I somehow really loved the tranquility of PV after most of the wolves were gone. ^^

And it's not like you couldn't survive there at all. I've been in PV for about 80 days now (living on bears/rabbits/fishing) and still have a whole bear left to eat up. (If you're min/maxing and hibernating, I bet you can also survive more than 150 days in PV.)

Anyway, hunting bears with wolf respawns (which means that you can't "clear a path" between the bear cave and your base before you shoot the bear) might become much more challenging than it is currently.

In my ongoing game I have made the bear bagroll. I used it for over 10 sleeps with one single outside. Its down already to 60% condition. I need bear and cloth for repairing. For what I know there is only 4 bears in PV. And they don't re spawn. This 25hours 4 bearskin Epic item is doomed. Its bad anyway with its 4kg and only plus side is 12 degrees. No much use when full Wolf,deer,buny equipped.

Archived