Select Best Tool for the Job. - Menu Smartness.

Gustaaf

I would like to see the menu system set the best tool/materials for the Job.

Example: Can opener. If I have it, dont prompt me to use it, prompt for a solution when I dont have it. (much like auto using crowbar to force doors)

Fire menu: Best Materials, Matches to be set first in the selection list.

Harvesting animals: Select best tool knife/axe. Noticed in V 2.00 that an Axe is quicker to Harvest meat from a bunny than a knife? Both at 95% condition.

Repairing:

When item is repaired above 90-95% condition, close menu. Also close menu if there are no longer items available meeting the repair criteria. (ran out of the good stuuf).

Suggestion for cooked beans etc in can. Either re-introduce the wording HOT, or highlight the item with red edge. Also, if possible, please place recently made tea/coffee/beans etc first in the menu or a seperate queue. Cooked items need to stand out more due to urgency.

Opened cans etc. If possible, add date to it, example: Opened 2 days. That way we know to ditch it. (not that I have died of food poisning...yet)

Introduce an "Empty/Remove ALL" option in container handling.

I only use the hatchet if I absolutely have to. I harvest wood by hand, and use knives to harvest meat as the hatchet is the most 'critical' of the tools.

The crowbar isn't important once you've explored all the zones, the knife is really only useful for animal harvesting. The hatchet is good for defense, ice chopping, wood gathering, meat harvesting, skinning, etc. So having the hatchet available when it is critical to get something done quickly.

Harvesting animals: Select best tool knife/axe. Noticed in V 2.00 that an Axe is quicker to Harvest meat from a bunny than a knife? Both at 95% condition.

I think that the knife is better unless the meat is frozen.

I would also like if the game would prioritize the tool with the worst condition if you have several of the same type.

Is it really too hard to look at harvest time and select appropriate tool yourself? Or to select tool with condition you want?

Hatchet is really better then knife when the meat is frozen solid. You can see harvest time difference when you are selecting tool.

Is it really too hard to look at harvest time and select appropriate tool yourself?

this totally depends on the situation. Typically under stress I forget to check the times, for example when I am already in low condition and wolves are nearby. Had me almost killed more than once... :(

So yes, I would definitely favor the HUD selecting the appropriate tool. And while we are on it, please make Firwood the first tab in the "Foraging" window, I probably have foraged more than 100 tinders because I forgot to switch to Firwood, mostly while outwaiting a blizzard in a cave. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to forage tinder with cattails and newspaper available in abundance, hence it shouldn't be the default choice. For the rare occasion that you need to forage tinder, you could still select it - just make Firwood the default.

I think I would prefer it if the game simply remembered the tool I used the last time for that job. As 9 out of 10 times I will use the same tool each time, and it's not always the "best" tool for the job.

And +1 to making hardwood the first option in the wood foraging menu.

Archived