Pacifist run

Hotzn

OK, I will start a run in stalker mode now, starting at ML. The objective is to get the damn pacifist achievement, which has hitherto eluded me. I will post short notes on how I spent each day until I either die or have to kill a wolf in self-defense... let me know if you find this interesting.

Day 1: I spawn above the logging camp at 9:20 AM, and it is COLD (-24°C). Usually infested with wolves, today the camp seems deserted. It brings me the storm lantern, among other little things. I then turn left until I reach the sign for the forestry lookout. A dead body here bears the down ski jacket, nice! I storm up towards the lookout, already freezing. Up there, I find the rifle (which I take along, but will not use for the first 25 days), also a can opener. I rest for one hour to warm up a little, then run down the hill again and turn left for... I think it is "Unnamed Pond"? Unfortunately, get spotted by a wolf before even turning the corner and have to use a flare to scare it off. The wolf gets caught in the fence trying to run away and remains stuck in limbo. A prybar and MRE are added to the backpack at the two tiny huts near Unnamed Pond, then I bypass the hunters blind and reach Trapper's Homestead. I have frozen down below 70%. Taking everything (who keeps a flare in the safe?) including simple tools and only leaving matches (keep them for later), I forage for some hardwood outside, make a fire in the stove and produce 5.5l of potable water. Then it is dinner and off to bed at Trapper's Homestead...

I did both Pacifist and Silent Hunter in Stalker (granted, it was v.183 Stalker, which was somewhat easier than current).

I did it because it was a challenge, not just however is easiest. I don't know what the OP's reasons are, but for me, there are a bunch of things I don't do even though they make it easier (like starving/hibernation), because for me that totally breaks the feel of the game.

(EDIT) and Hotzn, please continue, I love reading stuff like this...

Day 2: Getting up at 8.30 AM and taking a look outside, I realize it is cold and windy, some -30°C. Back to bed for another hour. Now we also have fog and snow. Back to bed for another hour. now it's clear, though still cold. Cutting straight across to Camp Office, I spot two deer carcasses being eaten by wolves. However, I still lack both hatchet and knife and would not be able to join the feast. Reaching Camp Office, I continue along Lake Trail (though already freezing), as I badly need knife & hatchet. Searching the cave and then the lake cabins, I finally find a hatchet outside the cabins. I also find a pair of work boots inside, yay! Becoming encumbered, I leave the rifle, some firelogs and water in the lone cabin - a little cache for later maybe. On the way back, I plunder two of the fishing huts, finding a knife (yay!) and another hatchet. I also collect some Cat's Tail Plants and 4 leather and 2 guts from a deer carcass (no meat left here). Make it back to Camp Office around 5 PM and frozen down to 61%. Loot it and drop most of my stuff, then make another short trip to one of the deer carcasses I saw earlier. The wolf has gone, but the carcass is lying in a dangerous spot... wolf might come back and would be difficult to see... I risk it and it pays off. Got 8 leather and 4 guts now and can make the deerskin boots soon... now back to Camp Office (frozen down to 40%), dinner and off to bed. On a sidenote, I have found two magnifying glasses. One was hidden behind the crates upstairs in Camp Office - easily overlooked.

Day 3: Getting up at 9 AM. The plan for today is to look for another deer carcass and harvest 2 more leather to start crafting the deerskin boots. Also harvest meat from dead deer if the opportunity arises. I have looted quite a portion from ML map now and the only way to prolong my stay here without dismissing the Pacifist achievement is to find carcasses and steal some meat from them...

...and I find two carcasses near the rails just by Camp Office, one being chewed on by a wolf. Sneaking aroud, I get spotted by another wolf (the first one probably chased the other deer over here from the derailment), so I have to use another flare to scare off both wolves. One of the deer is lying in a dangerous spot again and has no meat left on it, so I go for the other one first and take 3.4 kg of meat. I return the meat to Camp Office so as not to attract more wolves, then go back and carefully harvest 8 leather and 4 guts from the two carcasses! Woohoo!

Coming home to Camp Office around 4 PM, I am starving and therefore eat something (I do not do the "hibernation/starving game"), then go back out to forage 3 hardwood. Almost die from a heart attack when a wolf barks up during the foraging process. I press cancel and slip back through the door just in time, my heart pounding (in real life that is) and the wolf growling through my speakers as if it was standing right next to me! It seems I have managed to get 1 hardwood nonetheless.

Go upstairs to make a nice fire (got more firewood there from looting during days 1 & 2), cook all the venison and produce 5 l of potable water. Then it is off to bed around 9.30 PM. Looks like I made it through another day...

Day 4: Get up around 6 AM to start crafting the deerskin boots, then take a look outside at 9 AM. It is snowing a bit and temperatures are low (-15°C). Not the time to venture far. I take a quick look around, but there are no deer carcasses, just a single wolf sneaking around the house. I go back in and do some more crafting.

Going back out around noon, I spot a deer carcass on the lake and go check it. It is one I have harvested before. Then I see another deer walking around between the fishing huts and manage to chase it into a wolf. And then... I become an idiot. I take out a flare to chase the wolf away from the deer, because I know I can get around 8 kg of meat. I approach the wolf while it is eating the deer, and it jumps up and at me. I run backwards (first mistake), and instead of igniting the flare, I press the wrong mouse button and throw it at the wolf. Since it is not burning, the wolf remains unimpressed and we end up fighting. The wolf runs off, bleeding, and I give pursuit... hoping it does not die. But it does, unfortunately.

I grieve for the dead animal, harvesting it nevertheless, and return to Camp Office at 17%. I end this run, as I am not a pacifist anymore. Dang!

:|

I did both Pacifist and Silent Hunter in Stalker (granted, it was v.183 Stalker, which was somewhat easier than current).

I did it because it was a challenge, not just however is easiest. I don't know what the OP's reasons are, but for me, there are a bunch of things I don't do even though they make it easier (like starving/hibernation), because for me that totally breaks the feel of the game.

(EDIT) and Hotzn, please continue, I love reading stuff like this...

I want the challenge, I get more satisfaction out of it. For me, it is not an immersion thing.

Sorry my run has ended so soon - what an idiot I am pressing the wrong mouse button. I still get far too excited when a wolf runs towards me. :oops:

We all make those silly mistakes. :) I ended a really good run with a wolf attack, pressing H instead of 3 for my rifle. I think I had 16 bullets, but the holster command forgot which item I had last equipped (I think I went indoors and out again, that may have reset it). I was terrible at hand-to-hand at the time, too. Here I was setting myself up to live like a queen for weeks and I fumbled it, too X)

Day 4: Get up around 6 AM to start crafting the deerskin boots, then take a look outside at 9 AM. It is snowing a bit and temperatures are low (-15°C). Not the time to venture far. I take a quick look around, but there are no deer carcasses, just a single wolf sneaking around the house. I go back in and do some more crafting.

Going back out around noon, I spot a deer carcass on the lake and go check it. It is one I have harvested before. Then I see another deer walking around between the fishing huts and manage to chase it into a wolf. And then... I become an idiot. I take out a flare to chase the wolf away from the deer, because I know I can get around 8 kg of meat. I approach the wolf while it is eating the deer, and it jumps up and at me. I run backwards (first mistake), and instead of igniting the flare, I press the wrong mouse button and throw it at the wolf. Since it is not burning, the wolf remains unimpressed and we end up fighting. The wolf runs off, bleeding, and I give pursuit... hoping it does not die. But it does, unfortunately.

I grieve for the dead animal, harvesting it nevertheless, and return to Camp Office at 17%. I end this run, as I am not a pacifist anymore. Dang!

:|

Wait...does defending against wolf attack also counts as failure at Pacifist achievement? Hmmm...if that so,then getting this achievement is realy big challenge. :) I also miss Pacifist and Silent Killer achievements,but I don`t bother with that. :) I will probably go after those two achievements left,after there won`t be any other challenge for me.Or maybe it may happen whille I will do my runs,lol.Everything`s possible. :)

Hotzn Added to friend list.

You are just a great person:d

(you get to know the people around here by their ideas)

Thanks for the flowers. ;)

Where can I see your friend request? It does not seem to show in my profile...

We all make those silly mistakes. :) I ended a really good run with a wolf attack, pressing H instead of 3 for my rifle. I think I had 16 bullets, but the holster command forgot which item I had last equipped (I think I went indoors and out again, that may have reset it). I was terrible at hand-to-hand at the time, too. Here I was setting myself up to live like a queen for weeks and I fumbled it, too X)

I love these stories where people get confused with the controls in a stressful situation. Like real life, isn't it? Imagine throwing your rifle at a wolf instead of shooting it (I know the game does not allow throwing the rifle). I also had to laugh at myself for throwing the unlit flare. How foolish, haha! :lol:

Well, you'll have a new run and live like a queen then...

I love these stories where people get confused with the controls in a stressful situation. Like real life, isn't it? Imagine throwing your rifle at a wolf instead of shooting it (I know the game does not allow throwing the rifle). I also had to laugh at myself for throwing the unlit flare. How foolish, haha! :lol:

Well, you'll have a new run and live like a queen then...

fallout-toilet-ammo-water-357780.jpeg

Last night I accidentally died by building a fire too close to myself. I didn't know it was possible for someone to light a fire right under their feet. I burned to death before I could step back :lol:

Archived