Anyone else faced extreme wear on (bearskin) bedroll?

AdamvR

66 percent damage today. In a fishing hut, on the floor unrolled not carrying. Wolf comes inside does about 30 percent damage to me and another 66 percent to a new bedroll, Damn that took a long time to repair the last one that was totaled, a week or so of casual play. No reply from support either, not a peep. Time for a break again. smh.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments!
I've mentioned it to support, and received their response that they had heard of this before but could not replicate it on their end...
I tested out today morning, and was able to identify the exact conditions for replication (I did manage to replicate it 3 times in a row in Forlorn Muskeg - backing up and reloading the same starting point) my bedroll went down from 69% to 10%, 41% and 31%, likely in line with the damage taken during or the duration of the struggle.
To replicate:
1) you need to place the bedroll in a cave
2) spend time in it / sleep in it (this is important even after you reload a backed up save!, thus loading it back to the point after you wake up is not enough; if you are fully fresh, pass time in it after loading. When I did not pass time on my "reloaded" games, there was no damage to the bedroll)
3) aggro a wolf nearby, and when you go back to the cave the bedroll will have lower condition. (I did test it near and further out of the cave, also with / without clothes on)

if anyone could try and confirm that with these settings they could replicate it, that would be most reassuring.

(I've sent screenshots and save files to support, hope to hear from them soon - will update you on it)

Edited by AdamvR
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, AdamvR said:

I tested out today morning, and was able to identify the exact conditions for replication (I did manage to replicate it 3 times in a row in Forlorn Muskeg -

I experienced this bug several times over the past few years most noticeably in HRV.  A year or two ago I did detailed tests.  That took a lot of work as I had to make some spare bear bedrolls which meant killing bears and curing the skins.  I was well past 500 days in a game and all, or almost all, of the standard bedrolls had been lost.

Your results and conclusions seem very similar to mine.  I contacted Support and gave them the details.  Then nothing seemd to be done about it.

Addendum.

I have just looked back at some of my postings, they were around 1st to 14th May 2020.

I'm bit puzzled why the picture showed up, it's not mine.  I can't delete it.

Edited by peteloud
Add more information

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, peteloud said:

I experienced this bug several times over the past few years most noticeably in HRV.  A year or two ago I did detailed tests.  That took a lot of work as I had to make some spare bear bedrolls which meant killing bears and curing the skins.  I was well past 500 days in a game and all, or almost all, of the standard bedrolls had been lost.

Your results and conclusions seem very similar to mine.  I contacted Support and gave them the details.  Then nothing seemd to be done about it.

Sorry to hear that, it sounds frustrating:(
They told me to have heard of this bug multiple times before but could not once replicate it ever before.

I hope they manage to do something about it this time. It is a rare, but quite costly bug...
I had a few save files, screen shots and detailed description to provide to support, and we still needed to exchange a couple mails to narrow down on when the issue comes up and when it does not - as it does not always replicate. (once you placed the bedroll, you need to spend time in it, after which take some damage from a wolf in a close encounter outside: then you see the damage to the bedroll in the cave. only the bear bedroll produced this to me, the textile one did not. also, if you do not spend time in it after loading the save, it does not occur).
I hope they find the issue in the code, and it is not too extensive to fit the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your hard work. I spent about a month trying to replicate but missed the part about spending some time in bag before going out and reiterating everything I could remember time and time again.  A few weeks ago I just gave up with that save file and decided it was time to move on but it kind took the steam out of that game too many times. To many saves started feeling like a cheat and with this bug caught myself doing it all the time which took some excitement out of the game for sure.

• 4 months later...

I think that the normal deterioration of bearskin bedrolls is too fast, (as well as the problem due to bear/wolf damage).

In my current game I made a bearskin bedroll at the ML Office then stored it, unused, in the filing cabinet. When I wanted to use it, its condition was down to 79%.  I don't know exactly how many days it was in the cabinet but I feel sure it was not more to 50 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I had not kept track of when I made a bearskin bedroll (since being in Pilgrim I never expected to use it) but the 26% loss of condition in the bedroll did feel in the ballpark (talking 260 days or so) since I had gone to Timberwolf and Ash Canyon in the interim (I think).  

I moved the bedroll to the cave in Keeper's Pass south (that leads to Keeper's Pass North) to see how regular daily use of the bedroll would affect its condition and it seemed to be slightly more durable (losing condition at what seemed like a slightly lower rate than the regular bedroll).  

I am now spending some time to get the bedroll to under 50%, it was about there now, to see what a maximum mend with a bearskin would be.  I am using the time to take even more supplies and gear to Keeper's Pass North at the Hermitage which already has a rather ridiculous amount of sticks, coal, charcoal, and stones along with cooked fish and water.  I am just kind of compulsive about that.  😅

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...