Anyone else faced extreme wear on (bearskin) bedroll?

AdamvR

Hi,

I wanted to ask around if anyone else experienced it/already know the explanation before I report it as a "bug":
It happened to me first a longer while ago: I had a bearskin bedroll, around 50-70% condition, and slept/idled in it inside a cave (in the warm place, for sure) during a blizzard outside. It was in the lower valley of HRV, so pretty cold outside for sure. After the blizzard walked out for some sticks, left the bedroll open in the cave. Came back after a really short time and found it completely ruined. Found it quite astonishing. (Luckily there was a simple backup bedroll there as well, otherwise it would have been the end of it..., given how necessary sleeping is to leave that valley) I thought there might be some rule of the bedroll breaking down very quickly if open in a cave - but could not replicate it after making a new one, either in a cave or outside. (the normal wear seems much less to me)

Forgot about it actually, when it happened again today: this time I was again sleeping, then idling in the "Forest Cave" (near the fishing pond in (Un)pleasant Valley), - waiting through a blizzard. Again, it is pretty cold here (I haven't checked it on that night, but another day I found -48C AND -32C windchill during a blizzard...)
It did not get ruined immediately, but went down to 4%... (I was for sure inside the deepest part of the cave - the warm area) It was about 60% condition before.
Has anyone else ever experienced such? Is this normal? What could be going on?
(I was googling around for wear-rates of various items, but it did seem much too extreme to me...)
Thanks for your comments, in advance!

Haven't seen that happen before in my run, but decay will vary, depending on difficulty set. Still, that's some fast decay!!

I actually love bear roll because if you get stuck stranded, you can even sleep outside if no wind corner is found. Had stinky situations couple times in ash canyon where without bear roll I wouldn't have made it. It was cold.

• Like 1

thanks for your note! I also find the bearskin bedrolls really great in these colder environments, especially when new-ish... (despite their weight...)
I forgot to add that it is on Stalker, around day 350 (the previous occurrence was around day 200-250 I think) which would explain the weather, but not sure about the decay rate... When testing it, the decay rates seemed normal. (the bedroll in particular was on 100% about 20 days before - just repaired it before coming to this region)

Decay rates in this game are so high it's nuts. I think you can mitigate the bedroll decay some by picking it up but other than that you just need to accept that the atmosphere contains a high amount of acid. I remember walking in a blizzard once and all of my clothes got shredded....by snow. It was pretty surprising the first time it happened.

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Had stinky situations

❤️ Pure gold.

There used to be a bug with it back when Episode 3 got out. Maybe that still exists (to some extend). Report away in my opinion. Although I had little luck with the Support 😕

Personally I don't really use the bearskin bedroll like at all. It is heavy and expensive to maintain, especially considering there are other and arguably better uses for bear hides. And it's not like killing a bear doesn't involve a substantial amount of risk and resources. But the most important reason for me not to use it is that it actually has very limited utility compared to its cheap counterpart. Caves are usually warm enough once you are well equipped, unless there is a blizzard in which case the bearskin bedroll won't save you either. Sleeping under the open skies is not only much too cold without a fire anyways, but also very, very dangerous unless you really, really know there are no predators around. That's why I've been advocating to "buff" the bearskin bedroll for some time now. It's a premium item that's excessively hard to obtain and maintain. It should not only be slightly better than the standard bedroll.

Edited by jeffpeng

I have experienced very rapid deterioration and destruction of bearskin bedrolls left in caves in HRV.    I checked it out a few times and it seems to be related being attacked by a bear or a wolf.

If I left my bedroll in a cave then went out and was attacked by a bear or wolf the bedroll in the cave would suffer damages as if I was carrying it.

There was some discussion on this subject several months ago.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all for your comments, especially @peteloud: that must be it, good to know you have also been able to track it down and replicate it.
It definitely is a bug then - and could become quite serious if you are on the wrong place when it happens...
I do recall a wolf attack at one of the occasions while leaving the bedroll in the cave (not 100% sure of the other, but possible)
Good to know the source, so we can actively try avoiding it, but was even better if the bug could get fixed, it is definitely unintended behavior... 
Will contact support

@jeffpeng I also agree with you, that many times you can work around it with the smaller bedroll, and can of course play it safe and plan ahead.
Still think it can come really handy in some of the colder environments with large spaces/few covers, where a night-blizzard can easily force you to look for shelter behind rocks/try to recover some HP by sleeping an hour by the fire before the wind changes and kills it... The +12 degrees (C) can add a lot in these situations... Also no wildlife during blizzard. (I found myself more and more using its cover for carrying meat through wolf-infested plains)
Also, it is often sufficient for sleeping in fishing huts  - without burning fuel all night (would recommend sleeping in smaller, few-hour bursts though, not to be fatally surprised if it gets too cold)

Never used a bearskin bedroll before except for that one time for the Wrapped in Furs achievement, and probably would never craft one in the future too.

I wear a 22/23C warmth kit and use the normal bedroll in my late game Interloper run, which is warm enough to sleep at the back of caves without a fire. Only on very rare occasions you get -28/29C ambient temp during a late night/early morning blizzard in colder regions like BI, which is probably the only time when the bearskin bedroll would be of use. Other than that, the thing is just too heavy and tedious to maintain.

And on lower difficulties (Stalker included), you can hit 30C warmth easily with expedition parkas, cowichan sweaters, wool long johns, etc. so you'd never ever need the bearskin bedroll at all. It's either just a want or something you craft for fun.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, peteloud said:

If I left my bedroll in a cave then went out and was attacked by a bear or wolf the bedroll in the cave would suffer damages as if I was carrying it.

On some level this actually makes sense if you "imagine" the code behind it. I know bedrolls take damage (from painful experience) when you are attacked in your sleep. Now if you are attacked "anywhere" bedrolls being placed in the world receive damage since proximity is probably not measured, and bedrolls being laid out are assumed have been used to sleep. Hm. If this is true it should be true for any kind of bedroll. So... let's investigate!

(... a short voyager game later ...)

Alright, it apparently doesn't work like that. Placed a bedroll outside the hunting lodge, ran into a wolf, had a struggle. Still: normal bedroll still at 100%. Even a second try where I first slept on the bedroll before initiating a struggle didn't inflict any damage on the bedroll. So.... yeah.... theory doesn't hold.

3 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

I wear a 22/23C warmth kit and use the normal bedroll in my late game Interloper run, which is warm enough to sleep at the back of caves without a fire. Only on very rare occasions you get -28/29C ambient temp during a late night/early morning blizzard in colder regions like BI, which is probably the only time when the bearskin bedroll would be of use. Other than that, the thing is just too heavy and tedious to maintain.

I wouldn't say I have the warmest of clothes, as recently also try to optimize a bit towards protection - given that wolves are coming in packs of 4-5-6...
also lost some of my warmer stuff to the previous owner of the bedroll: he seemed sooo dead, but managed to resurrect and eat half my gear as I attempted to light a fire by it to start the little slice-n-dice party...
Anyhow, with 25/9/51 it takes less than a minute to completely deplete my temperature bar from full - so I do find looking for at least a rock to block the wind and cuddle up in that +12 degrees can "come handy" at times... The below pic was not even taken in the coldest moment I've seen recently...
It is only Stalker though...

(I do understand that it could seems a bigger luxury on loper, without rifles and even more wear to gear)

2021-06-18 14.54.44.jpg

Edited by AdamvR

4 hours ago, AdamvR said:

I wouldn't say I have the warmest of clothes, as recently also try to optimize a bit towards protection - given that wolves are coming in packs of 4-5-6...
also lost some of my warmer stuff to the previous owner of the bedroll: he seemed sooo dead, but managed to resurrect and eat half my gear as I attempted to light a fire by it to start the little slice-n-dice party...
Anyhow, with 25/9/51 it takes less than a minute to completely deplete my temperature bar from full - so I do find looking for at least a rock to block the wind and cuddle up in that +12 degrees can "come handy" at times... The below pic was not even taken in the coldest moment I've seen recently...
It is only Stalker though...

(I do understand that it could seems a bigger luxury on loper, without rifles and even more wear to gear)

I believe you were in a blizzard when you took that picture, correct? Well, I wouldn't really sleep out in the snow without a fire because that's just suicidal on Interloper. Even more so if there's a raging blizzard. The least I'd do is get to the nearest two-layer cave so that I can be warm at the back without having to start a fire.

Most of the time, I trust that my kit is warm enough to sleep at the back of a cave without a fire, even during blizzards. I've done many full 10-hour sleeps in HRV this way and never get frozen to death, at least not yet.

But some blizzards tend to be extremely cold, especially when you're in one of the colder regions like BI. The ambient temp can drop to as low as -28/29C even with the bonus warmth from the inner layer of the cave. A bearskin bedroll would definitely keep me warm in this case but so would a coal fire too. Besides, where else would you finally use a match on Interloper if not now?

Anyway, I actually think the bearskin bedroll is fine, minus the fast decay rate and bugs like the one you mentioned. It definitely has some uses but they are very limited for someone who mostly sleep indoors at night (like me). And also I very frequently move between regions so carrying two cloths for repair is definitely better than a cured bear hide + a cloth.

Edited by gotmilkanot

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this happen to me twice this month. Once in HRV and the other in the transition zone between trappers and mountain town. Both times I was attacked by wolves, Both times I was carrying the bedroll and the rest of my kit suffered very light damage but the bedrolls both times had been recently repaired and up in the 90's. Once I had 6% and the other time in the transition zone went down to 0%. I had just slept, packed up and walked out of the cave when stormed by a hungry doggie. Wearing a wolf jacket pea coat rubber boots gauntlets, Moose satchel pretty well protected and strong good condition etc at 150 days.

You have a vivid imagination. I think you may be suffering from cabin fever and need to get out more.

But why only the bear bedroll? Nothing else in the pack takes damage. Clothing yes, How about a rifle a bear knocks out of your hands, ever get 95 damage to it after a mauling? your hatchet, a bow, a Sachel? Its an bug isolated to the bear bedroll.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:26 PM, Muestereate said:

You have a vivid imagination. I think you may be suffering from cabin fever and need to get out more...

Thank you, this makes traversing through life much easier for me! I have cabin fever disabled. 

If you get mauled by a bear, stuff in the bag will get damaged. Lamp will suffer, also will magnifying lens. Ever notice how stuff is all scattered all around you when the bear is finished making you pregnant?

Lost my Bearskin beadroll again today, meanwhile I haven't lost a sock or hat or glove in 150 wolf attacks but that Bearskin roll is probably going to end this run. Perhaps I will run naked into the bear cave in a blizzard and just end it. gota cross 2/12 regions to a bedroll and I'm not an interloper guy. Perhaps its time to see if tea can keep me alive across the Muskeg, at least I have more clothes than a starter character, maybe I shouldn't abandon all hope until I actually fade into the long dark.

No, Only the bearskin bedroll gets one-shoted/critical hit. In fact I hardly remember any stuff that I am not wearing getting damaged. I do remember some early game stuff when I was nearly naked, usually cotton mittens and that is very rare compared to what I'm experiencing with bedroll this month. I had taken a few months off so when I say last month I'm not saying last update, I'm saying 3 or 4 losses in my last 30 days of gameplay. Oddly this year I skipped my usual winter play and returned now in the summer.

I always make a bearskin roll ASAP, It's usually the first think I make. I like that wolfskin coat and moose satchel but those are all wearing normally. In fact my Moose satchel has topped at 76 percent for weeks. On wolf attacks the majority of my damage goes to boots, gloves and hats. I use the hatchet. I run unmodified stalker. Unlike others I get blizzard of 40f below with -30 wind chills  after about 160-70 days. The last couple weeks I've had blizzard hit 3 days out of 4. Shooting a moose or bear or even a deer often triggers one so if I need food, I have to plan on a blizzard by the time my meat harvest is done. Today I went out to die or get a bearskin for repair. I left at the end of a blizzard with temps -27.& -17f, I found a bear, I got four arrows in him, been mauled twice, he's still walking and another blizzard is blowing in. Looking bleak but :) I'll check for clothing damage when I log in again to fade away. I suspect no hats shoes and gloves after two bear mauling's. I bet what is in my pack is fine but its not clothes.

The bearskin bedroll decays app. 8 times faster when left unrolled. The normal bedroll decays over twenty times faster when left unrolled. Pick 'em up and put 'em back down on the floor when you wake up if you don't want to carry them around with you. https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Decay#Bedrolls N.B. it says "per hour of sleep" for use decay but that rate applies when it's unrolled whether or not you're in it... plus the daily decay rate also gets piled on top. They decline very quickly when you leave them unrolled, so don't do it.

• Upvote 1