Fun new weapon!

Leeanda

16 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Where I live, that would be one of the first things we'd take during an evacuation as tea is practically a necessity. 

Maybe islanders from Great Bear thought the same way? 

I still would expect one or two laying around though! You can make tea in cans and they're less bulky! But I get your point,I really really need my tea in the morning!!😁

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I still would expect one or two laying around though! You can make tea in cans and they're less bulky!

Yes, that is very true. As would I, though to be honest, I never really thought about it. I suppose it's a mystery that will never be solved...

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Yes, that is very true. As would I, though to be honest, I never really thought about it. I suppose it's a mystery that will never be solved...

Great Bears full of mysteries anyway,missing kettles is the least of Will/Astrid's problems! You never know though, we might see one in episode 5!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Great Bears full of mysteries anyway,missing kettles is the least of Will/Astrid's problems! You never know though, we might see one in episode 5!

Haha yeah, I can imagine that they're probably too busy to focus on the lack of kettles. Hopefully they'll be added someday, so people like us can enjoy a cup of tea during the aurora! 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha yeah, I can imagine that they're probably too busy to focus on the lack of kettles. Hopefully they'll be added someday, so people like us can enjoy a cup of tea during the aurora! 

They deserve it after that episode!

On 10/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, Leeanda said:

Sorry I had to ask! How come you know about tasers so well?🙂

Oh that's just kind of the crowd I run with lol. Most of my friends are veterans, one is a cop, one is a corrections officer at a medium security penitentiary, plus I'm a fan of less than lethal weapons myself just on principle. There's enough guns out there already, we don't need to add more. I mean there are loads of ways to incapacitate that don't involve 9mm parabellum rounds. And with a firearm if you miss, that shot can penetrate a wall, possibly multiple walls. A stray bullet could hit a baby sleeping peacefully in their crib across the street. Even in the best case scenario where you exercise trigger discipline and check your targets, you're going to hesitate.  Someone trying to hurt or kill you isn't going to hesitate, and a weapon you hesitate to use isn't an effective defense.

Plus there's stories where like someone's kid comes home from college unexpectedly in the middle of the night, the parent shoots the "intruder", and whoops! Now their19 year old son is bleeding out in the foyer. Now that's absolutely on the parent for shooting a target they didn't identify, but what if they didn't use a gun? A couple pinholes in the gut and painful shock, at least he's still alive to hear the apology.

4 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Oh that's just kind of the crowd I run with lol. Most of my friends are veterans, one is a cop, one is a corrections officer at a medium security penitentiary, plus I'm a fan of less than lethal weapons myself just on principle. There's enough guns out there already, we don't need to add more. I mean there are loads of ways to incapacitate that don't involve 9mm parabellum rounds. And with a firearm if you miss, that shot can penetrate a wall, possibly multiple walls. A stray bullet could hit a baby sleeping peacefully in their crib across the street. Even in the best case scenario where you exercise trigger discipline and check your targets, you're going to hesitate.  Someone trying to hurt or kill you isn't going to hesitate, and a weapon you hesitate to use isn't an effective defense.

Plus there's stories where like someone's kid comes home from college unexpectedly in the middle of the night, the parent shoots the "intruder", and whoops! Now their19 year old son is bleeding out in the foyer. Now that's absolutely on the parent for shooting a target they didn't identify, but what if they didn't use a gun? A couple pinholes in the gut and painful shock, at least he's still alive to hear the apology.

Yes,it's not the best way to greet your kid when he gets in late!  I  certainly agree with the non lethal methods. I know there are a lot of  gun owners  in the US so it's good to know that not everyone feels the need to have one! It's nice to know someone puts principles above "trend" !  

Got to admit though I did have a few funny thoughts about you running around with a taser!😁

37 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Got to admit though I did have a few funny thoughts about you running around with a taser!😁

Oh I wouldn't use a taser myself, only 2 shots? No thank you! Byrna SD here! Basically an airsoft pistol that fires compressed pellets of pepper spray and tear gas that explode into a cloud on impact. Five to a magazine, reloads quickly, doesn't need to be charged, and you can fire off three full magazines on one CO2 cylinder.

Edited by ajb1978
Five to a magazine, not six. Whoops!

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Oh I wouldn't use a taser myself, only 2 shots? No thank you! Byrna SD here! Basically an airsoft pistol that fires compressed pellets of pepper spray and tear gas that explode into a cloud on impact. Six to a magazine, reloads quickly, doesn't need to be charged, and you can fire off three full magazines on one CO2 cylinder.

That's gotta hurt! Not heard of those before, pretty new are they?  And l think I'd rather get tasered ,less painful by the sound of it!

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's gotta hurt! Not heard of those before, pretty new are they?  And l think I'd rather get tasered ,less painful by the sound of it!

It's basically a paintball, but instead of paint it's a cloud of tear gas. So yeah, not fun to be on the business end of no matter how you spin it!  The company itself has been around for a while, but I just got mine in September. It basically lives on my nightstand when at home, in my glove compartment when on the road. I don't walk around with it yet, although when winter arrives I probably will carry it under my coat. It won't be obvious and shouldn't make people nervous. Just because it's exempt from open carry laws, someone might still freak out, and then I have to deal with all that nonsense even if I'm let go in the end for not breaking any laws.

6 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

That's for sure! I completely forgot about them. But I also met coffee machines . I wouldn't mind a hot latte under the night sky in the long dark.

It is odd what people take with them in major catastrophies!  

11 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

It's basically a paintball, but instead of paint it's a cloud of tear gas. So yeah, not fun to be on the business end of no matter how you spin it!  The company itself has been around for a while, but I just got mine in September. It basically lives on my nightstand when at home, in my glove compartment when on the road. I don't walk around with it yet, although when winter arrives I probably will carry it under my coat. It won't be obvious and shouldn't make people nervous. Just because it's exempt from open carry laws, someone might still freak out, and then I have to deal with all that nonsense even if I'm let go in the end for not breaking any laws.

Im more worried about the fact you actually need one! Im well aware of the need for protection especially in the US,  and I'm glad you chose the non lethal version! I'm sure it packs a punch though! 

Perhaps it should be added to the wish list! As a fun idea anyway!

Edited by Leeanda

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Im more worried about the fact you actually need one! Im well aware of the need for protection especially in the US,  and I'm glad you chose the non lethal version! I'm sure it packs a punch though! 

Well I don't live in an active warzone or anything lol. I got it mainly because there are situations where you may need to defend yourself, but where deadly force would not be appropriate. Like the neighbor's dog gets into your yard and starts attacking your dog. The situation sucks but that's still a family pet, not to mention it would be illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits (edit: for that purpose anyway) even just to scare it off.

On the other hand, a couple kinetic rounds to the hindquarters ought to teach him a lesson.

Edited by ajb1978

Well I don't live in an active warzone or anything lol. I got it mainly because there are situations where you may need to defend yourself, but where deadly force would not be appropriate. Like the neighbor's dog gets into your yard and starts attacking your dog. The situation sucks but that's still a family pet, not to mention it would be illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits even just to scare it off.

On the other hand, a couple kinetic rounds to the hindquarters ought to teach him a lesson.

Well I didn't mean it quite like that,but I'm glad you don't!🙂 

I forgot it was illegal in  city limits ,ironic really,  I would've thought that cities had the most weapons!  

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I would've thought that cities had the most weapons!  

Well they do by virtue of population density alone of course. But also due to population density, there are the most laws prohibiting firearm use. In rural areas it's a lot more relaxed, like you can set up some cans in front of a backstop and target shoot any time you want. Or if nuisance animals are creeping around your property, coyotes etc. you can cull them no questions asked.

Just now, ajb1978 said:

Well they do by virtue of population density alone of course. But also due to population density, there are the most laws prohibiting firearm use. In rural areas it's a lot more relaxed, like you can set up some cans in front of a backstop and target shoot any time you want. Or if nuisance animals are creeping around your property, coyotes etc. you can cull them no questions asked.

Well it makes sense it's that way , but if I'm honest I don't get why nearly everyone needs one ! We manage perfectly well without them!

Just now, Leeanda said:

but if I'm honest I don't get why nearly everyone needs one ! We manage perfectly well without them!

Most people don't. Only rural homesteads, hobby farms, etc. truly have a need for them, and that's for the aforementioned coyotes or maybe even a raccoon. It sounds brutal but setting up a live trap for a raccoon, solely to immobilize it for a killing shot by a rifle is not uncommon. But if it's them or your chickens, bye bye little trash panda.

For everyone else it's a want, usually prompted by fear. Fear of being attacked, which is a justifiable reason to own one. But then, why go straight to a firearm? Why not go with a nonlethal weapon you won't hesitate to use? Another common fear is of emasculation. Having big guns in compensation for a small ego. That's just pathetic.

13 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Most people don't. Only rural homesteads, hobby farms, etc. truly have a need for them, and that's for the aforementioned coyotes or maybe even a raccoon. It sounds brutal but setting up a live trap for a raccoon, solely to immobilize it for a killing shot by a rifle is not uncommon. But if it's them or your chickens, bye bye little trash panda.

For everyone else it's a want, usually prompted by fear. Fear of being attacked, which is a justifiable reason to own one. But then, why go straight to a firearm? Why not go with a nonlethal weapon you won't hesitate to use? Another common fear is of emasculation. Having big guns in compensation for a small ego. That's just pathetic.

You also forget the hunting group.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

You also forget the hunting group.

True I don't hunt myself so didn't think of them specifically. But yeah, lots of people in the city own rifles, shotguns, bows, crossbows, etc. for hunting that only get broken out once a year during that season. Everyone I know that hunts already lives in the country so I just kind of mentally lumped them all together in the same group.

Trap shooting now that I think about it, another good reason to own one. Now I wanna play Duck Hunt....

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Never heard them called trash panda before! I like it🙂 

Its understandable where there are predators roaming around but cities? I think  it's a shame that people feel fear to that extent! Or that they need to compensate for anything! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

I think  it's a shame that people feel fear to that extent! Or that they need to compensate for anything! 

Yeah, I don't truly fear home invasion but you never know what's going to happen out and about in the world. Road rage, etc. it would be nice to have a deterrent that doesn't involve me having to ask "Do I potentially kill this guy for possibly having an off day and taking it out on me?"

Pepper ball to the chest. Problem solved.

Yeah, I don't truly fear home invasion but you never know what's going to happen out and about in the world. Road rage, etc. it would be nice to have a deterrent that doesn't involve me having to ask "Do I potentially kill this guy for possibly having an off day and taking it out on me?"

Pepper ball to the chest. Problem solved.

Maybe a gun amnesty is needed! It worked well over here! And the knife one and the other ones...

A gun amnesty solves nothing... the people that have them legally are not a problem to society.. they are law abiding people who..at least here in Canada are vetted daily by the RCMP.. it's the illegally obtained weapons that are at issue... and those won't be turned in

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1