Fun new weapon!

Leeanda

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Didnt realise I hadn't contributed anything! Odd considering it was my suggestion in the first place! 

No. You didn’t because when you suggest something that even you admit is so ridiculous because it’s “just for fun”,  it doesn’t contribute anything to progression of improving the game.   It does not contribute anything.

Good ideas contribute. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

No. You didn’t because when you suggest something that even you admit is so ridiculous because it’s “just for fun”,  it doesn’t contribute anything to progression of improving the game.   It does not contribute anything.

Good ideas contribute. 

Suggesting something is contributing,whether it improves the game or not Mr Spock!  Sorry I forgot that he's half human!  

9 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

All fun. Zero fun is allowed. 

Sorry I tried to behave! 🙂

18 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Suggesting something is contributing,whether it improves the game or not Mr Spock!  Sorry I forgot that he's half human!  

Sorry I tried to behave! 🙂

That’s Incorrect. Just think. Don’t react emotionally- actually think about this. 
  Suggesting something that is useless is not contributing. It’s actually the opposite.  As an example- you have cancer and you ask a group of doctors  for their suggestion. Some suggest chemo, others anti cancer drugs, others surgery - all are good inputs and help with a decision. But another doctor suggests that you buy a taser gun that doesn’t work:  Because it’s just being silly.  He is not contributing even though he made a suggestion. It’s a stupid suggestion and distracts from functional discussion. 
i know you want to get a trophy for everything but when you become an adult you will quickly find it doesn’t work that way. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

That’s Incorrect. Just think. Don’t react emotionally- actually think about this. 
  Suggesting something that is useless is not contributing. It’s actually the opposite.  As an example- you have cancer and you ask a group of doctors  for their suggestion. Some suggest chemo, others anti cancer drugs, others surgery - all are good inputs and help with a decision. But another doctor suggests that you buy a taser gun that doesn’t work:  Because it’s just being silly.  He is not contributing even though he made a suggestion. It’s a stupid suggestion and distracts from functional discussion. 
i know you want to get a trophy for everything but when you become an adult you will quickly find it doesn’t work that way. 

First off I am not a kid,I'm 52 . No one can seem to make you understand the concept of fun. You think too logically for such things which is probably why you can't let go of this subject!  For the last time I posted this idea as mostly fun but it was also meant to be used as a weapon/deterrent  against wolves! I might not have stated that very well but it's what I meant!  

I can also add that you haven't contributed much except criticism and a slingshot! Which might I add belongs on a separate wish list  thread! So please put your wish where it belongs! And let us fun loving folk get on with our own thing!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

First off I am not a kid,I'm 52 . No one can seem to make you understand the concept of fun. You think too logically for such things which is probably why you can't let go of this subject!  For the last time I posted this idea as mostly fun but it was also meant to be used as a weapon/deterrent  against wolves! I might not have stated that very well but it's what I meant!  

I can also add that you haven't contributed much except criticism and a slingshot! Which might I add belongs on a separate wish list  thread! So please put your wish where it belongs! And let us fun loving folk get on with our own thing!

Well at least you agree with me.  that’s a start.  Starting to think rationally now!!

Go ahead and keep posting silly non-sensible stuff if you want. But hopefully also sometimes you will actually contribute something. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

"It is a wise thing to be polite; consequently, it is a stupid thing to be rude. To make enemies by unnecessary and willful incivility, is just as insane a proceeding as to set your house on fire. For politeness is like a counter--an avowedly false coin, with which it is foolish to be stingy."

-- Arthur Schopenhauer

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Well at least you agree with me.  that’s a start.  Starting to think rationally now!!

Go ahead and keep posting silly non-sensible stuff if you want. But hopefully also sometimes you will actually contribute something. 

Have you actually read all of my posts?   You know what, I don't care just don't talk to me again! You're not worth it!

If one particular user is giving you trouble, I recommend just adding them to your ignore list for comments, messages, and mentions. If they keep that sort of thing up eventually half the forum doesn't even see what they're writing anymore, and the problem sorts itself out.

Incidentally I don't think a ranged taser would work as effectively on wildlife. If one or both of the darts gets gnarled up in fur and doesn't complete the circuit, it simply won't zap them. A hand-held melee taser might be effective though, because you can continue to apply pressure, forcing the contacts deep enough for the arc to reach the skin. (I get that it's a joke post I'm just rolling the science around in my head.) This same problem applies to police using a ranged taser on someone wearing heavy clothing like a winter coat, they're just not as effective.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

If one particular user is giving you trouble, I recommend just adding them to your ignore list for comments, messages, and mentions. If they keep that sort of thing up eventually half the forum doesn't even see what they're writing anymore, and the problem sorts itself out.

Incidentally I don't think a ranged taser would work as effectively on wildlife. If one or both of the darts gets gnarled up in fur and doesn't complete the circuit, it simply won't zap them. A hand-held melee taser might be effective though, because you can continue to apply pressure, forcing the contacts deep enough for the arc to reach the skin. (I get that it's a joke post I'm just rolling the science around in my head.) This same problem applies to police using a ranged taser on someone wearing heavy clothing like a winter coat, they're just not as effective.

I was thinking of the hand held taser originally. But as I've said before  I'm not sure how they work exactly! I'm not exactly a tech genius!☺️

Thanks, he's already on it! Well after that last comment he is anyway!

On 6/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, Leeanda said:
  • Just realised how much fun it would be to use a tazer!there must be a policeman's house somewhere ?! Or one of the Milton banks security guards!

I think it's a wonderful idea - even if it's just something that works in an aurora (like the flashlight), something to quickly end a struggle with an aurora wolf.  Electrical things that don't work otherwise but quickly get a glowing green wolf off you would be a practical (and dare I say fun) addition.  I'd get out and about in auroras more often having something like that.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think it's a wonderful idea - even if it's just something that works in an aurora (like the flashlight), something to quickly end a struggle with an aurora wolf.  Electrical things that don't work otherwise but quickly get a glowing green wolf off you would be a practical (and dare I say fun) addition.  I'd get out and about in auroras more often having something like that.

Thanks🙂

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I was thinking of the hand held taser originally. But as I've said before  I'm not sure how they work exactly!

Gotcha! Well Taser is actually the brand name, although it get used as a blanket term for any sort of electrical less-than-lethal weapon. Like how Kleenex or Xerox are used to refer to any facial tissue or copy machine, respectively. There's the shooting taser shaped like a pistol and fires metal darts contained to long wires, at medium range. They lose accuracy and penetration at ranges greater than room-scale. These darts can penetrate skin or light clothing, at which point a shock is delivered which causes most people to drop on the spot and convulse. It also sprays a shower of confetti with a serial number on each piece, which ties the use of that taser to the owner (sales of cartridges are tracked) to disincentive its use in crime. Although each taser cartridge only has two shots, so if you miss with both you're in trouble.

Hand-held stunners have two or more metal prongs that cause an electric spark to arc between them when the trigger is pulled. (Ironically these are referred to as stun guns even though they neither look nor perform like a gun.) These deliver a much more powerful shock of hundreds of thousands of volts or more depending on make/model, can penetrate multiple layers of clothing, can be reused repeatedly before needing to be recharged, and can offer with a variety of extra features such as a flashlight or loud distress siren. Of course, they only work in close quarters though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

"It is a wise thing to be polite; consequently, it is a stupid thing to be rude. To make enemies by unnecessary and willful incivility, is just as insane a proceeding as to set your house on fire. For politeness is like a counter--an avowedly false coin, with which it is foolish to be stingy."

-- Arthur Schopenhauer

That’s great advice. I suggest you follow it. Word to the wise my friend. Word to the wise. 

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Gotcha! Well Taser is actually the brand name, although it get used as a blanket term for any sort of electrical less-than-lethal weapon. Like how Kleenex or Xerox are used to refer to any facial tissue or copy machine, respectively. There's the shooting taser shaped like a pistol and fires metal darts contained to long wires, at medium range. They lose accuracy and penetration at ranges greater than room-scale. These darts can penetrate skin or light clothing, at which point a shock is delivered which causes most people to drop on the spot and convulse. It also sprays a shower of confetti with a serial number on each piece, which ties the use of that taser to the owner (sales of cartridges are tracked) to disincentive its use in crime. Although each taser cartridge only has two shots, so if you miss with both you're in trouble.

Hand-held stunners have two or more metal prongs that cause an electric spark to arc between them when the trigger is pulled. (Ironically these are referred to as stun guns even though they neither look nor perform like a gun.) These deliver a much more powerful shock of hundreds of thousands of volts or more depending on make/model, can penetrate multiple layers of clothing, can be reused repeatedly before needing to be recharged, and can offer with a variety of extra features such as a flashlight or loud distress siren. Of course, they only work in close quarters though.

Thank you  for the info!   Sounds like the hand held would definitely benefit in wolf struggles!  

On 9/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

A fun weapon that has practicality would be a slingshot, not a taser. 

...or a boxer. Or crossbow! Or a short shotgun, usable as alternate way to open locked containers 🙂 

So many options to explore...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FreeSTONE said:

...or a boxer. Or crossbow! Or a short shotgun, usable as alternate way to open locked containers 🙂 

So many options to explore...

I'd love a crossbow! Maybe a cattle prod too!! Not sure opening a container with a shotgun would help though😁

• Upvote 1

I actually started thinking about the usefulness of items besides their intended game purpose and kinda wish there was a way for the game to institute a sort of... open world concept for -item- usage. The thing that made me think this was the hammer, actually. Going through the steam tunnels, I came across the locked door and thought how useful it would be to just hit the padlock, break it, and go through the door that way. Would be neat for a game to award out of the box thinking, you know?

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2021 at 2:44 AM, ajb1978 said:

Sorry I had to ask! How come you know about tasers so well?🙂