Combining Like Objects

melkson

I was wondering if there was a way to combine 2 slots of the item, such as 2 jerrycans. I understand that items have capacity limits, so after like 5 gallons, you would have to start filling another.

Even things like wooden matches.I must have 7 or slots with matches item with under 10 each

Combining things like jerrycans would be very useful indeed. However matches are combined automatically. But only if the conditions match. You can't stack 10% and 90% matches in the same slot, you wouldn't know what their condition is. Now if Hinterland can figure out some way to stack the matches in the inventory in 1 slot while still allowing me to see the condition of all matches and the number of matches in each condition group that would be awesome! Same goes for food and such. In fact, grouping foods of the same condition would already be a great improvement.

• 5 months later...
1) Combine matches.

Again:

matches are combined automatically. But only if the conditions match. You can't stack 10% and 90% matches in the same slot, you wouldn't know what their condition is.
3) Empty out kerosene from lanterns into jerry cans.

If you have a jerry can with enough space in your inventory, the fuel in a lantern will go in the jerry can when you harvest the lantern.

An "unload" feature like the rifle now has would be nice for lanterns as well, allowing us to remove the fuel without scrapping the lantern.

i think, you could do it like this:

7 matches with 87%

and 4 matches with 63%

gives you 11 matches with 7/11 * 87% + 4/11 * 63% = 78(,3) %

There should be a warning about the resulting integrity ^^ Or do I forget something? Because the result should give you no malus or bonus... Of course you could save nearly broken matches, however others will suffer. Nevertheless i support the idea of combining things and of unloading lanterns. +1

i think, you could do it like this:

7 matches with 87%

and 4 matches with 63%

gives you 11 matches with 7/11 * 87% + 4/11 * 63% = 78(,3) %

There should be a warning about the resulting integrity ^^ Or do I forget something? Because the result should give you no malus or bonus... Of course you could save nearly broken matches, however others will suffer. Nevertheless i support the idea of combining things and of unloading lanterns. +1

Yes, that's one way to do it. And I hope they never do it that way! Here's why:

5 match at 1% and 9 matches at 95% gives (5*1 + 9*95) / 14 = 61%

And now I have no clue that five of my matches are about to disintegrate. I want to know the condition of each and every match. Matches are too important to have them degrade to nothingness because the interface hides the fact that their condition is low.

Of course my suggestion implied, that those matches do now really have an integrity of 61%. so a bit unrealistic but with easier gameplay.It is like you are really merging them. But of course this would make it a permanent decision. splitting them again would result in e.g. 5 matches and 9 matches with 61% integrity. So object orientated spoken, not matches but stacks of matches would have an integrity. of course there would be stacks of 1 ^^ But i dont know if this idea is wrong immersion and gameplay-wise.

That would mean that if you have low condition matches in your inventory and you would find 12 new matches with a high condition, the condition of those new matches would immediately be lowered. I would not like that one bit!

While it may increase the condition of my old matches, it also lowers the time my new matches will take to degrade. That means I will run out of matches sooner.

Archived