and the clocks all stood still

one of these things is not like the others...

screen_1ff5ad28-e5b2-481b-b16a-840f4e67b6c3_hi.thumb.png.b72c6a1a50dfeb5393dc5d5e94409717.png

screen_4f41b9f1-42fa-49ad-90f2-a230dc7c9817_hi.thumb.png.053f3c8ff68ee9f5dc0b147bd41704c6.png

screen_99b05558-4ca2-4a69-bb59-7815fb1eba67_hi.thumb.png.beedaca3c8d81416e0554375908b9744.png

screen_364a110b-36bc-4b50-ad94-d30b24b0280c_hi.thumb.png.0138e83fe8b5e03e8bed5a217d3f7f3a.png

screen_58ff9b3d-eb4b-4602-a4b6-461892edd907_hi.thumb.png.66baf3dca0efa3d929b230369b86c2cd.png

screen_554c2e8b-76ed-4e4f-997a-5e25f87141f2_hi.thumb.png.50b7940346f35fbc1af7ada3b1d64257.pngscreen_e7aa1d30-c2a2-45ad-8b20-a6dd59e7d7c1_hi.thumb.png.b8d4bb25bd584d9cde55df26009430cf.png

screen_f4a3ca57-0d96-43ae-a866-3c6d3dbb0bfd_hi.thumb.png.7537e569246316f4187e4f11d3890d91.png

screen_f6caa05e-545e-4585-bf23-e99cad67b15c_hi.thumb.png.ce87aaa4ce4ae6b502c940a39a00dbed.png

things that make me go hmmmm?

why are the grandfather clocks different?
are there no wind up clocks on the island?
would the event have affected wind up clocks as well?
was it am or pm when the event occurred? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

I think it goes without saying, but the reason that the clocks are the same model being reused. Where as the grandfather clock has different model.

Yes. that's most likely the answer... still, it's fun to ponder an "in lore" reason for it.

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If it was the aurora that stopped the clocks (grandfather clocks excepted), why don't they start up again during an aurora?

4 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

I think it goes without saying, but the reason that the clocks are the same model being reused. Where as the grandfather clock has different model.

you both make bold observations that lead to yet more questions indeed.

I hypothesized that the difference was between battery powered clocks and mechanical clocks.  Makes you wonder why every building with a clock in it on  the entire island all has the same brand, but then again it plausible so it works.  Since it would appear that these are battery powered clocks, why wouldn't they start keeping time when the aurora conditions were perfect?  Heck we get to use computers and play the radio while illuminating an area using a functioning flashlight, why wouldn't those clocks just start right back ticking.  I think the time difference is because the old grandfather clock being mechanical with the swinging pendulums kept on working after the aurora and continued to do so either until it got so cold that the inner mechanism froze or it just finally just stopped because it need to be wound back up.  

Perhaps the size of the battery matters.  The wall clocks would likely use AA.  Cars would have a 12-volt, while other electrical devices use an outlet.

The event fried the poor little batteries.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

What about laptops? They use 'batteries'.

The laptop in the Chasm Cave (TWM) runs during the aurora.

@hozz1235Hmmm.... does seem plausible.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Exactly and a laptop uses something that would be considered a small battery. Agh, this aurora frying aa batteries and sensitive equipment works fine is driving me nuts!! I know games aren't supposed to make sense, but this is beyond comprehension. 

This should nt be happening. And wolves and bears should not know when you aim that you mean them harm and begin charge!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Exactly and a laptop uses something that would be considered a small battery. Agh, this aurora frying aa batteries and sensitive equipment works fine is driving me nuts!! I know games aren't supposed to make sense, but this is beyond comprehension. 

This should nt be happening. And wolves and bears should not know when you aim that you mean them harm and begin charge!!

"laptops and fluffies and bears, oh my"....

• Like 1
On 5/11/2021 at 8:49 AM, piddy3825 said:

I hypothesized that the difference was between battery powered clocks and mechanical clocks

Obviously a mechanical clock wouldn't be affected by an EMP. It would just stop after not being rewound for a while

Makes you wonder why every building with a clock in it on  the entire island all has the same brand

Great Bear is very poor. So poor that they had to order everything in bulk to get cheaper prices. You can see that with tons of stuff on the island. Even many of the pictures are the same

6 hours ago, Serenity said:

Obviously a mechanical clock wouldn't be affected by an EMP. It would just stop after not being rewound for a while

Great Bear is very poor. So poor that they had to order everything in bulk to get cheaper prices. You can see that with tons of stuff on the island. Even many of the pictures are the same

well, I certainly can understand how a mechanical clock would be unaffected by EMP, but actually stopping at the same time as the other mechanical clock on the island seems completely impossible in that case.  hmmm... more questions...

screen_a6cf11da-4eb4-4ff4-80cc-e0033b1bfc11_hi.thumb.png.b41a512d6053dd35ac9e9a6c348b598b.png

as to all the same battery powered clocks, I would have to agree, those were probably all brought in via bulk as you would suggest.  probably goes hand in hand with the old company store or trading post.  They got a good deal on clocks and bought out that model at discount prices.  As for all of the pictures being the same, too.   That's probably because everybody on this island is related in some fashion.  maybe a little too much inbreeding?  

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

well, I certainly can understand how a mechanical clock would be unaffected by EMP, but actually stopping at the same time as the other mechanical clock on the island seems completely impossible in that case.  hmmm... more questions...

One of the survivors (before our character) set the time on the mechanical clocks they encountered to denote something of importance to them.  Perhaps the time a loved one died?

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

One of the survivors (before our character) set the time on the mechanical clocks they encountered to denote something of importance to them.  Perhaps the time a loved one died?

or perhaps they were all broken when the earthquake hit.

Just as an aside, comparing the AAA battery that runs a wall clock to a laptop battery is not reasonable; laptop batteries will have anywhere from 50 to 150 times the energy capacity.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

or perhaps they were all broken when the earthquake hit.

I don't know, if the earthquakes were strong enough to stop a clock, I can think of many other things that would have been affected (lamps on tables, dishes in cupboards, etc.)

I don't know, if the earthquakes were strong enough to stop a clock, I can think of many other things that would have been affected (lamps on tables, dishes in cupboards, etc.)

I'm thinking that the people did not leave immediately after the earthquakes, but rather left after the more recent aurora incident (explaining why there is still edible food in the houses... even some food left on plates as is possible in the Hunting Lodge).  If that's the case, they could have picked up the broken dishes, etc. left from the quake but were, perhaps, unable to fix the broken grandfather clocks (keeping in mind that I'm talkig only about the grandfather clocks, which show a different time than the others).  Perhaps there was no resident on the island skilled in the repair of the grandfather clocks.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm thinking that the people did not leave immediately after the earthquakes, but rather left after the more recent aurora incident (explaining why there is still edible food in the houses... even some food left on plates as is possible in the Hunting Lodge).  If that's the case, they could have picked up the broken dishes, etc. left from the quake but were, perhaps, unable to fix the broken grandfather clocks (keeping in mind that I'm talkig only about the grandfather clocks, which show a different time than the others).  Perhaps there was no resident on the island skilled in the repair of the grandfather clocks.

Plausible - I'm just thinking you would see more collateral damage.

Plausible - I'm just thinking you would see more collateral damage.

The quake was obviously severe enough to tear up roadways and collapse tunnels though.  The lack of damage is basically inside the homes... where residents were most likely to have cleaned it up a bit... then along comes the aurora knocking out the power... and that's what forces the people to abandon the island... possibly mostly out of fear of what may be yet to come.

@UpUpAway95 @hozz1235,

some potentially plausible explanations for sure but I like the mechanical clocks stopped working due to an earthquake theory best.  Based on the suggestions, I'd hypothesize that the same EMP event that knocked out all the battery powered clocks  was also able to magnetically reset the two mechanical clocks to precisely to 12:00:00 as the hours, minute and second hands had been dipped in Radium, as was the custom for decorating clocks back in those days.  After the EMP effect dissipated, the two clocks began ticking again. Since the two timepieces were nearly identical being the same model and manufacturer they both kept time precisely until the  sudden movement of the quake which resulted in both clocks to stop precisely at the same time.  

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@UpUpAway95 @hozz1235,

some potentially plausible explanations for sure but I like the mechanical clocks stopped working due to an earthquake theory best.  Based on the suggestions, I'd hypothesize that the same EMP event that knocked out all the battery powered clocks  was also able to magnetically reset the two mechanical clocks to precisely to 12:00:00 as the hours, minute and second hands had been dipped in Radium, as was the custom for decorating clocks back in those days.  After the EMP effect dissipated, the two clocks began ticking again. Since the two timepieces were nearly identical being the same model and manufacturer they both kept time precisely until the  sudden movement of the quake which resulted in both clocks to stop precisely at the same time.  

I guess it depends on which order of events you're thinking about.  I have the financial collapse occurring first, then the earthquakes, and then the aurora EMP (which is the event that brought down Will's plane).  I tend to go with this order because there is no earthquakes or, if you prefer, aftershocks occurring as Will regains consciousness at the beginning of Episode 1 nor do we feel any during the story.  Of course, there is a question then as to why the one tunnel collapsed on the prison bus... but I tend to put that one off onto a normal rockfall/avalanche rather than an earthquake.  I do like your radium thought, although I can't figure why they would dip clock hands in a radioactive substance.

12 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I do like your radium thought, although I can't figure why they would dip clock hands in a radioactive substance.

It was a well known practice in the late 1890s that the tips of the hour, minutes and second hands were either dipped or painted with radium based paint.  it gave the tips of a clock a luminosity that helped to illuminate the hands of the clock so people could read the time better in low light conditions.  

here's a link to an interesting bit about the practice and why it was eventually stopped...