Encumbered

FoneBoneJay

Ha heard that. Ive got off to a flying start so far with my 15 day save (16kg of processed food saved, 48 rounds of ammo, 3 hatchets, 2 knives, 2 magnifying glasses, 2 firestrikers, 3 sewing kits) was encumbered after a trip to 3 strikes and harvested some vension on the way back, was night time by then and well encumbered, was looking around with my torch for any yellow eyes in the distance and BAM wolf attack. Managed to fight it off, patch myself up and limp back home. Heart was racing at the thought of losing all that stuff!

thats one of the hazards of moving from one region to another... and when it comes down to it, all you can do it pick the best of the best and leave everything else behind... and hope that you dont get stuck in the middle of a snow storm ha you head for shelter in pleasant valley.... I always leave stuff behind and half of the time it does feel worth it to travel back and forth...

Rifle, ammo, the best hatchet, the best knife or two, and the best of any of the other tools the best clothes, all pain killers and antibiotics along with basic medical stuff... when it comes to food its energy bars and MREs... no more than 3 liters of water... and break down the rest of the clothes and extra tools down into cloth and scrap metal... and then inch your way into the next region

There can be benefits to being encumbered when you need to carry lots of stuff from point A to point B. The disadvantages are slower movement speed (down to a crawl at beyond 40kg), higher fatigue rate and larger wolf alert range. With practice you can manage being encumbered by carrying flares to scare off approaching wolves, make sure that you are well rested before beginning an encumbered trek and keep an eye out. What I have started doing in pleasant valley is to kill a bear, go back to base and drop everything I don't need at my base so that I am just wearing my clothes, carrying a knife, a flare or two, 1l of water and emergency fire making materials which usually comes to about ~13kg. I then take ~20kg-25kg of meat and carry it all the way to my base. If the meat is over 90% I snack on about a kg or two of raw meat on the way which makes me run slightly faster (meat weighs nothing when its in your belly ;) ). Then I drop it off, sleep, re-hydrate and then go out again to get the rest. If I'm lucky I can get all the meat from a bear (~39.2kg) into my base in about two trips, not including the initial hunting trip. If any nasty wolves get in your path, throw a flare at their face :P

BTW try not to get exhausted and encumbered at the same time because you will go so slowly a snail could beat you in a 100m sprint. Still doable though if you only have 100m or so until you reach your base.

Also, make sure you bring a hatchet - it takes twice as long to harvest frozen meat with a knife as it does with a hatchet. The reverse is true when the meat is less frozen.

Man, are you serious? I never noticed that--I always assumed that the knife was better for harvesting parts of a dead animal. Well, that's what I get for making assumptions... :roll:

I wonder if the same holds true for leather and guts? I'll have to test it when I play a bit later today.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tip!

--Gibbon

Also, make sure you bring a hatchet - it takes twice as long to harvest frozen meat with a knife as it does with a hatchet. The reverse is true when the meat is less frozen.

Man, are you serious? I never noticed that--I always assumed that the knife was better for harvesting parts of a dead animal. Well, that's what I get for making assumptions... :roll:

I wonder if the same holds true for leather and guts? I'll have to test it when I play a bit later today.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tip!

--Gibbon

leather and guts takes the same amount of time, regardless of whether it's frozen or not, or what tools you use.

Cory,

Okay, thanks. I had hoped to test it, but I haven't recently run into a carcass that was sufficiently frozen to even see the improvement in meat-harvesting time that we get by using the hatchet. I'm guessing that they have to be pretty much completely frozen to see the difference.

Anyway, good to know that guts and hide take the same time, regardless.

As an aside for those of you who are experienced hunters in real life, would the hide would be harder or easier to remove from a frozen carcass, or would it not matter? Or would you probably never do that and instead try to bring it somewhere warm to let it thaw first? I have no idea, but I'm curious.

Thanks!

--Gibbon

Archived