Got my first feat!!

Catlover

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

@UpUpAway95Thanks! 

@s7mar7inAlso, thanks! I completely agree with playing and waiting, instead of 'chasing the feat'. It makes it feel more rewarding, in my opinion. 

I started out thinking that way, but as time went on and I learned more about custom mode; the more I wanted to play using it.  So, instead of just tolerating the standard difficulties I started in in order to get the feats, I opted to grind through the ones I had remaining as quickly as I could so I could get to playing the various custom mode runs I had been planning to try.  I can't say I've regretted it, but I would have been more inclined to just work up to them more naturally if they allowed us to accumulate progress towards them in Custom mode.

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I started out thinking that way, but as time went on and I learned more about custom mode; the more I wanted to play using it.  So, instead of just tolerating the standard difficulties I started in in order to get the feats, I opted to grind through the ones I had remaining as quickly as I could so I could get to playing the various custom mode runs I had been planning to try.  I can't say I've regretted it, but I would have been more inclined to just work up to them more naturally if they allowed us to accumulate progress towards them in Custom mode.

I can understand why you would do that. It would be nice if they let us get some progress in custom, though that would get people tweaking settings in order to make feat progression easy, which would kind of defeat the purpose of earning them. Of course, though, that is my opinion and I wouldn't complain if they did add feat progression in custom mode, as I would like to play it.

Edited by Catlover

On 4/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, Catlover said:

I can understand why you would do that. It would be nice if they let us get some progress in custom, though that would get people tweaking settings in order to make feat progression easy, which would kind of defeat the purpose of earning them. Of course, though, that is my opinion and I wouldn't complain if they did add feat progression in custom mode, as I would like to play it.

Grinding for feats in any difficulty level is easy and can be done in complete "safety" most of the time.  Feats also progress in pilgrim mode, so the idea the people would use custom to make grinding for feats easier than it is already is ludicrous and just a crutch that people use to make custom players feel lesser than they are.  Grinding is being done by a lot of people already (probably the vast majority of them).  It would be better if they were encouraged to just play through the game in difficulty levels they enjoy.  People who happen to not enjoy individual aspects of the standard mixes of the settings used by Hinterlands over their own settings should not be penalized for playing the game in an alternative set of difficulties legitimately offered by the devs (i.e. one does not have to mod the game to access the Custom menu).  It's almost like being penalized for not using a default character, but a customized one (i.e. merely using the character creator) in other games.  The custom menu is neither a bug nor an exploit.

Everything that can be changed in the game through the custom menu IS a change that has been approved by the devs (since they are the ones who set up the menu in the first place).  Instead of 3 dev-approved difficulty levels, there are merely many, many more of them.  If a custom slider changes the game in a way the devs don't intend, they have the ability to change that slider or even remove.  They also control what sliders they might add in the future.  The argument that playing in custom is not playing the game the way the devs intended it to be played is also ludicrous.

Edited by UpUpAway95