scopes for the hunting rifle and bow (concept idea)

thetenaciousdee

a attachable scope that can be found in the world and has the same rarity as say the flashlight.

effects with  scope  would be what you expect from a attachable scope  in a majority of games with scoped weapons. put it on. find the target. zoom in to find the kill-shot area on the body of target. boom bam pow now ya got dinner.  

disclaimer 

I know that you guys have made it quite clear you DONT want to make the long dark a FPS  where you wander around with a fully automatic military grade weapons in what is supposed to be a (semi) realistic game set in a post apocalyptical Canadian winter where you live off the fat of the land and struggle to stay alive. i am making this suggestion because this seams to be a reasonable weapon add-on and  would not be breaking away from the world/lore of the long dark, thank you all at hinterland for giving me something to keep myself sane during quarantine and keep up the good work.

(sorry if I made a few spelling errors) 

Edited by thetenaciousdee
spelling error

Hello!

Here are some of my thoughts on your suggested idea.

Currently, the weapons are not customazible. But, I think there is a lot of potential in an ability to "customize" weapons, up to a degree. However I think anyone would have hard time trying to fasten a scope to a bow and make it viable. For rifle, I can see some use for scopes. Although at the moment, the distance one can shoot with any weapon is hard-limited. AKA if you keep shooting on a bear that is very far away and keep missing even though you are reasonably sure you hit it, its because you are too far away for the bullet to reach the target. Otherwise, firearms in game are always a straight shot with no bullet drop, skill in weapons affects the shakes. So, slapping a scope on a rifle wouldnt really help with the distance unless firearms were reworked altogether. Would probably make the hitting of specific animal parts better.

And that is exactly the kind of scope I would be fine with in the game.

That said, I strongly disagree with the idea that scopes would be found in the game with the rarity of flashlights. Flashlights are pretty common. The scope should be a superb reward, specific to some far away region. Also, lets keep in mind the current rifles dont have anything to mount the scope to. That might make adding a scope quite difficult. That is why I think a game could have a special, unique scoped rifle as a rarity item, found in a faraway region. It would still bring something new, it would be quite exclusive, and it wouldnt really make unscoped rifles irrelevant. It would be the same exact variant to other rifles in the game, just with an old-fashioned scope, for medium range. 

I think the bows should stay as they are. No point in a scope there anyway since the bow shot is pretty deeply curved in the first place. I know there could be a scope with the range scale to help account for arrow drop but improvised bows arent that precise. 

Frankly, I would be happier for functional binoculars. Could be used for glassing, avoiding wolf pack patrols and much more.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The scope concept has been suggested in wish list a few times by my count. I’m personally in favor of the idea.

I think it should be a somewhat rare find and require a work bench and red tool box to attach/unattach. Could be used as a surveying tool (help with avoiding bears) and long range hunting but while attached the rifle cannot shot close range or have shitty close range accuracy. 

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

but while attached the rifle cannot shot close range or have shitty close range accuracy. 

Why would it have bad accuracy at close range? Or why cannot it shoot at close range?

I don't know, perhaps hinterland will need to rework draw distance. Maybe a loading screen with draw distance increase when you peek through glass😊

3 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Why would it have bad accuracy at close range? Or why cannot it shoot at close range?

I don't know, perhaps hinterland will need to rework draw distance. Maybe a loading screen with draw distance increase when you peek through glass😊

Because a dialed in scoped bolt action rifle is designed to be long range. My 308 for example is set up for shots around 300yrds. Both the scope and the rifle can make an effective hit a much further or closer range but that takes time to adjust the scope and a hell of a lot of practice. Range and accuracy with a scope takes time/practice and changing it on the fly is not as easy as one may presume especially if the scope is not designed to do so. Scopes are made to be accurate with in a given range, shooting at a animal 200 meters away is a lot different than a target at 20 meters and not all scoped will adjust accurately between those 2 distances.