Poll

Ryan CM

What do you think is the most important aspect of the long dark?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for the atmosphere, but it's a very close call with all of the choices on the list.

The question looks very familiar actually. Reminds me of a certain survey I did recently, one where I had a chance to win a TLD key ;) Only in the survey it had checkboxes instead of radiobuttons and I checked them all...

I voted for the atmosphere, but it's a very close call with all of the choices on the list.

The question looks very familiar actually. Reminds me of a certain survey I did recently, one where I had a chance to win a TLD key ;) Only in the survey it had checkboxes instead of radiobuttons and I checked them all...

Yep that is right! That one is till running across the internet. This poll is just for our forum users :)

I voted for the enemy is nature because I believe this area needs more development. Right now you can endure for several hours exposed in sub zero temps and really your condition doesn't appear to drop faster the colder it is, it only drops at a set rate once you hit freezing condition, which is an ok tradeoff because the colder it is the faster you become freezing. In any event, wetness and the effect of water removing heat 25X faster than air is missing. The ability to take control of our environment by making emergency shelter and making fire would greatly benefit the experience.

Right now your emergency shelter is walking to the nearest structure and going inside and sleeping the storm out. The penalty for not having food is nil when it comes to warming up it won't kill you not eating for a few hours even if you haven't in days. Fatigue also won't kill you, just slow you down which is a pretty substantial impact and increases your risks due to environment and wolf exposure. Dehydration is the only real fear, but it not real enough because you can create an unlimited amount of water. From a single match you can literally sustain a fire indefinitely and onto that create water indefinitely. Your maximum range would be limited to how far you can travel in a radius of 4-6 hours, with a return trip taking 4-6 hours but I wager to bet over the course of 50 days with a map and routes explored you could set a central location, light your last match and live our your years with a giant virtual swimming pool.

Coming back to my central point. I know wolves are a big deal yada yada yada, however in playing the longer term game I think making it impossible to create unlimited water and also making it impossible to travel effectively in extreme weather without risking death is exactly what the game needs.

Would some players look at it as a chore being caught in a storm. Maybe. However players also play the game for that on the edge feeling and fix and creating more opportunities for realistic on the edge play is important to building the game. If we could create our own emergency shelters instead of either finding a shady spot and hoping the wind doesn't change direction or just huffing it to the next house that would be real emergency survival.

Also what of the desire to craft our own fire making materials. They need not be as efficient or effective as starting a fire via match, but we need something for when the matches run out. It doesn't make sense to keep finding packs of matches everywhere. Of course the lightweight and instant on bonuses are of great appeal but knowing that if you are stuck somewhere without any way of lighting up that you can get one going that would be a huge score.

I think "nature is the enemy" and "tone of the game" should go hand in hand. There needs to be more of a despair feeling in the game. Nature is the enemy is strong but could be more. I already look around warily when I step out the door of a cabin and try to calculate if i can make a long trek in the current weather conditions and state of my gear. We need more of this.

I voted for nature is the enemy as it adds a persistent and dynamic factor in what you do and how you plan you day.

But i also think visuals and audio are important, the visuals are simple yet captivating, and the audio is extremley well done, the attention to small details is excellent and really helps flesh out the whole experience of TLD. I cant WAIT to see what you guys do for the story aspect.

And finally i think the ability to explore should always be seriously considered. My only issue with the current game area (which is amazing) is the X amount of gametime i needed to learn actually HOW to play, means i now know most of the maps, and they are just a little bit same same. I hope new areas are def on the cards.

Omfg, tone of the game is such a non-anwser.All the other choices combined are what make the game have that tone.

If there is one aspect that you absolutely cannot take away its that nature is the enemy and by that I dont mean wolves.

While the sound and audio is not the most important aspect nobody can argue the sound and audio is not very atmospheric and excellent. Agreed?

Agreed!

In fact, this is probably the only game where I didn't turn down (or even completely off) the music within 2 days of playing it. I usually find the music in games very distracting, even if the music is great and it almost always gets repetitive fast. Not so with TLD.

For the majority that voted... The atmosphere/tone of the game, What do you mean by that exactly? Or rather what does that mean to you?

To me it's just the way the game makes me feel, the way it plays. I love the desolate feeling, the emptiness. I love the way I get happy when I step outside and the sun is shining after 3 days of poor weather.

Omfg, tone of the game is such a non-anwser.All the other choices combined are what make the game have that tone.

If there is one aspect that you absolutely cannot take away its that nature is the enemy and by that I dont mean wolves.

It doesn't matter what aspect you remove, it will change the game. If zombies were to be added, it would still be a game where nature is an enemy, but I doubt I would play it. If the game was turned into a MMO, I would certainly not play it.

Archived