Compound Bow

FriedEggs

There is currently only one type of bow in the game and it is just the "Survival bow". It is a maple self-backed longbow that is decent for shooting arrows at wildlife for protection and/or food. I suggest adding a metal compound bow to the game to diversify how you can hunt and protect your self.

• The Compound Bow
    • The only way to obtain it is to find it in the locations of where the normal bows spawn (such as in Desolation Point on the edge of a glade in Katie's Secluded Corner) and if it does spawn it will stop the normal bow from spawning there.
    • It will weigh 1.75kg/~3.85lbs.
    • The bow's condition will drop 1% each shot
    • The draw speed will be slightly slower than the bow's
    • There will be slightly more horizontal sway when aiming
    • The arrow will have much less drop being shot from the compound bow than the normal bow.
    • The arrow's flight speed will also be much higher being shot from the compound bow compared to the normal bow.
    • You will not be able to crouch and fired the compound bow even with archery level 5.
    • Each arrow the bow shoots will do more damage, have higher critical chance, and cause more bleeding than a arrow getting shot from a normal bow.
    • The compound bow can only be repaired at a forge with scrap metal.
  • Upvote 7
  • Like 1

Upvoted this, with some adjustments:

• It should be a very rare spawn item, like a flare pistol, or even more rare or unique like crampons.
• The arrow loses 50% more durability on impact (or even more)
• The bow can only be repaired at the milling station, and not the forge.

• Upvote 6

Why should it be super rare? Is it some magic weapon that knocks down all wildlife within 2 mile radius upon firing?

Let's not forget that if it is only marginally better than a regular bow, very hard to find, breaks arrows like crazy and can only be repaired at milling station at bleak inlet....who would want something like that?

Would you want to drag yourself to bleak inlet to fix that novelty gadget when the condition runs low after you used it ten times?

Let's be honest here, people🙄there isn't a lot of practical use for that unicorn if you have to jump through bunch of hoops to maintain it.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

I like the idea, in essence it would be like what the rifle is compared to the pistol (more or less).

I partially agree with Stinky tho. It being a rare find like crampons, backpack or flare gun is a given, but making repairs only limited to Bleak Inlet and having a high rate of arrow or bow decay would negate nearly any advantage.  A greater bleed out effect would also have no purpose considering any bleed out causes the animal to die regardless.  

I suppose wooden arrows would work or an additional arrow shaft recipe could be added as well (requiring something like ski poles, a forge and more metal). The 2 biggest advantage I see are being able to 1 shot a moose/bear (providing its hit in a critical spot) and an increased effective range.  

A big problem I see is If arrow decay is significantly increased and birch doesn’t respawn then going thru a finite supply of arrows is gonna happen rather quickly. But if the arrow recipe required different ingredients and a forge to make the shafts, that along with its rarity could balance out the advantages. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Would you want to drag yourself to bleak inlet to fix that novelty gadget when the condition runs low after you used it ten times?

Please, calm down.

If the drop rate is 1%, we could use it say 80 times before a break risk (assuming it occurs at 20% durability), and i think it's more than enough. The high decay rate would be for the arrows, due the bigger impact, hit or not.

The reason that i think it would be better a very rare, is that the regular bow is too easy to acquire. The arrowheads are the main bottleneck for using bow in early game. If you are lucky enough and find that composite bow and some arrows or arrowheads early, you can play Rambo on day 4 easily, and it's not balanced on my point of view.

And about being "marginally better than a regular bow", well... much more damage AND critical AND bleeding turns it even better than rifle, who has much critical and lesser bleeding effect.

• Like 1

A compound bow is an interesting idea, with a few changes to your original idea, I think it could work However, I have one big problem. Archery Skill. At level 5, because the compound bow is better than the normal bow, it will be unbalanced. I assume the archery skill affects both bow's equally, so the increased damage will apply to both bows, and increased damage on the compound bow might be powerful enough to start 1-shotting most enemy's, which is of course not balanced. To fix this, there would either need to be a separate skill, or the within the current skill, each bow is affected differently, such as Bow: +15% damage, Compound Bow:+5% damage etc. At archery lvl1, I think it would be balanced, but not at 2 and above.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, SpanishMoss said:

A compound bow is an interesting idea, with a few changes to your original idea, I think it could work However, I have one big problem. Archery Skill. At level 5, because the compound bow is better than the normal bow, it will be unbalanced. I assume the archery skill affects both bow's equally, so the increased damage will apply to both bows, and increased damage on the compound bow might be powerful enough to start 1-shotting most enemy's, which is of course not balanced. To fix this, there would either need to be a separate skill, or the within the current skill, each bow is affected differently, such as Bow: +15% damage, Compound Bow:+5% damage etc. At archery lvl1, I think it would be balanced, but not at 2 and above.

Could make it so that a certain archery skill level would have to be reached in order to use the bow. That might help out with the balancing. 

It would all depend on how much more base damage the comp bow would have. 

• 3 months later...