Indoor wolf attack

Cranky

I’m not sure if this was some kind of glitch or if it’s a very rare occurrence.   

I don’t generally spend much time in TWM but on my current stalker run I’ve been really getting to know the entire region and thus been there for a significant amount of time.  

I set up camp in the mountaineers cabin on the lake and was killing wolves from the dock (starting to stock pile food, skins, and intestines). After I killed a deer and 2 wolves a third came along while I was heading in the cabin and figured it would run off as soon as I got inside (which has always happened). Just before I made it in, the wolf began to charge then proceeded to follow me in and attack me after I was inside the cabin (near the back by the shelves).  This was a first for me, has this happened to anyone else, is it part of a new update, is it unique to this region?  

I did leave the door open.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

I did leave the door open.

🙄...that might be a problem.😁

Well, since wolves will follow you into the caves, which I witnessed not too long ago, I would imagine mountaineers hut is probably coded same way as a cave because no loading screen and you can cure stuff inside, so yes, fairly normal behavior for a wolf to follow.

There have been cases where other people also had wolves follow into that hut.

• Upvote 1

I had a wolf follow me into the Spence's forge area recently as well.  It didn't follow me up the plank ramp though.

@Cranky - I haven't had one follow me into the fishing huts yet, but I haven't done much wolf sniping from those huts lately.  I wouldn't trust it.

10 hours ago, Cranky said:

Has this happened to anyone in regards to any of the many fishing huts?  I use them all the time in ML and CH while picking off wolves nearby. 

Yeah I've been using this as a tactic too and haven't been attacked in one, but others have claimed they have. Also, I've seen wolves run off once I got to the barn next to trappers cabin...yet I've seen bears and even a moose enter that.

I would not rule out that there's either some randomness or perhaps some switches that get flipped from update to update to keep players guessing.  Just because a wolf hasn't attacked you in a certain place doesn't mean that the game engine doesn't support it.  It could be situational in all kinds of ways.  Or maybe not. Only way to know for sure is to know how its coded.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:02 AM, Cranky said:

Has this happened to anyone in regards to any of the many fishing huts?  I use them all the time in ML and CH while picking off wolves nearby. 

Yes I've been attacked twice in a fishing hut, but both times it was just barely past the treshold, while at the Mountaineers hut the wolf run all the way to the fireplace for attack

On 3/31/2021 at 10:02 PM, Cranky said:

They can't go in, but they sometimes if your standing to close can drag you through the walls.

Wolf AI has gotten better at pathfinding to places that it used to not be able to, such as some porches, caves, and other outdoor buildings. While the wolves don't really come into the hut very often, they are more likely to grab you through the wall. This is even more common when it is a bear, as their hit box to be grabbed it much larger. Standing in the middle of the hut, or not agro-ing a wolf before going in can help avoid that issue