Bone and tools and scrap metal knife.

oplli

I think the addition of bones and scrap metal tools would be a nice addition to the game especially for interlopper and stalker players.

Bones could be harvested from dead animals to make 2 or 3 simple tools for example :

- bone needle can be crafted with a rock and rabbits bones (basically smashing the bones with the rock to make a small and sharp needle) no workbench would be required.

the bone needle can then be crafted into an improvised repair kit  with a cured gut.

prons: they are easy to make and do not take a lot of time and they are lightweight

cons: they are not very efficient and dosent have a lot of durability.

- Bone knife can be made out of deer, wolf, bear and moose bones. it can be crafted with the same process than the needle and you dont need a workbench too.

prons : easy to make, lightweight, reduced the ammount of time needed to harvest an animal, can harvest 50% frozen animals and can make a difference between life and death in a bare hands fight against a wolf

Cons : not as efficient as the normal knife and you cannot sharpen it

- there could also be a bone arrowhead but i am not going to mention everything about it as it is pretty much the same thing than the knife and the needle.

Now for the scrap metal knife the idea is that you can make it on a workbench (no need of a forge) with a hacksaw or a heavy hammer. 

the prons are that you cannot sharpen it and it is heavyer than a normal knife. basically a heavyer and more reliable cutting edge than the bone knife

feel free to give  your opinion i would like to hear more about it :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I would like to see another lower tier of tool. I would enjoy having the opportunity to survive exclusively in a place like timberwolf mountains on low loot settings. Currently it's not really possible because to hunt or make anything you need a forge for a knife and arrow heads. It really seems like a missed opportunity for a game like this.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think both primitive bone and stone tools are obvious low tier tools, ie needle, hooks, arrow heads, knife, axe.  Either could be simply made with a work bench so no to make the game to easy.  But, as it’s already been mentioned, they would would not be repairable or sharpened and have efficiency and use limitations. 

These tools would help out new players getting ready for more difficult settings and stalker/interloper players survive in more desolate regions. 

23 hours ago, Cranky said:

I think both primitive bone and stone tools are obvious low tier tools, ie needle, hooks, arrow heads, knife, axe.  Either could be simply made with a work bench so no to make the game to easy.  But, as it’s already been mentioned, they would would not be repairable or sharpened and have efficiency and use limitations. 

These tools would help out new players getting ready for more difficult settings and stalker/interloper players survive in more desolate regions. 

I dont think bone tools should be craftable on a workbench. the objective is to be able to craft tools even if you start in a far region like ash canyon or hushed river valley. i remember when i started playing: Crafting objects was very easy. i think the crafting system is intuitive enough. and besides that, before having a wapon to hunt it is going to be hard to find bones to make tools. yes rabbit bones could make needles but you dont harvest a deer with a needle. you will have to find a dead deer or make a wolf hunt one for you to get his bones wich is going to be hard at the beginning. 

8 minutes ago, oplli said:

I dont think bone tools should be craftable on a workbench. the objective is to be able to craft tools even if you start in a far region like ash canyon or hushed river valley. i remember when i started playing: Crafting objects was very easy. i think the crafting system is intuitive enough. and besides that, before having a wapon to hunt it is going to be hard to find bones to make tools. yes rabbit bones could make needles but you dont harvest a deer with a needle. you will have to find a dead deer or make a wolf hunt one for you to get his bones wich is going to be hard at the beginning. 

Ash Canyon actually has several work benches.
And finding dead deer isn't too hard either

Come on. A good idea. Just let's make needles out of fish bones. I think it makes sense to justify this boring activity - fishing. Let not all of them and not always be able to make a game. however, this is in my opinion good. let the first needles break immediately and then not immediately.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

Come on. A good idea. Just let's make needles out of fish bones. I think it makes sense to justify this boring activity - fishing. Let not all of them and not always be able to make a game. however, this is in my opinion good. let the first needles break immediately and then not immediately.

Its a bit useless beacause in order to fish you need a fishline wich you can repair stuff with exactly like a sewing kit.