Wintermute - the very easy mode

Siago

The very easy mode in which you don't have to fight with Old Bear and Timberwolfs and any other animals (just the animations would be great). It's for people who are playing mostly for a good story and don't like to learn how to kill some virtual creatures.  I'm such a player and this is more frustrating than fun. I thought the Long Dark would be too difficult for me as I'm not an experienced player but the Episode 1 and the beginning of Episode 2 were great. Then it starts to get more frustrating than fun. I saw on Steam that only 10% of players got the badge for killing the Bear and I saw lots of comments on YouTube from people who got stucked on The Old Bear challenge so I think it's a good idea to make a very easy mode so that more players would buy and enjoy the game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Siago said:

The very easy mode in which you don't have to fight with Old Bear and Timberwolfs and any other animals (just the animations would be great). It's for people who are playing mostly for a good story and don't like to learn how to kill some virtual creatures.  I'm such a player and this is more frustrating than fun. I thought the Long Dark would be too difficult for me as I'm not an experienced player but the Episode 1 and the beginning of Episode 2 were great. Then it starts to get more frustrating than fun. I saw on Steam that only 10% of players got the badge for killing the Bear and I saw lots of comments on YouTube from people who got stucked on The Old Bear challenge so I think it's a good idea to make a very easy mode so that more players would buy and enjoy the game. 

This seems like a waste of hinterland resources to add this in my opinion. If they added a mode that takes away all of what you mentioned then the game basically plays itself. Question the comments on YouTube that was saying they was stuck on the old bear how long ago was it? I remember struggling with the bear as well then later a patch dropped that made the bear charge less or something (been a while don't know exactly what it did other than it did nerf the bear) when I attempted after the patch I killed the bear fairly easily. I don't see hinterland adding this.

• Upvote 1

I would say if anything, better explaining some of the mechanics over making a new tier. Like I sat there for an hour maybe trying to kill the great bear with the spear. Attack after attack just to give up, finish the quest, and be tackled and dragged off to his cave.

The story mode (to me) is there to teach the fundamentals for the game. That’s why I played it first. Then move onto the survival game. To make a pure story only mode takes almost everything out of the game. Every mechanic is designed to compliment another mechanic. You hunt for food and cloths, you make fires for warmth, water and cooking, etc. You already don’t really have to worry about animals in pilgrim mode, and you have saving options. I think the cave battle is a bit more difficult than it needs to be, but if it’s just the story you want, then I’d say just watch a YouTube video play through and save some money. The game is the survival mode, and it’s one of the best I have ever experienced.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I agree insofar as the spear fight against the old bear is kinda horses#it. Its not super hard, but its just kinda boring i wish they could figure out something else instead of praying that you have the stamina and can tap the button fast enough. 

if they do bring the spear back, they need to improve the fight mechanics for sure.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:03 AM, Stinky socks said:

Perhaps you're interested in "let's play"...

I already watch gamplays on YT. That's why I somehow finally killed that Old Bear. My point is I really liked the game on the easy mode just before the Old Bear challenge. I like the animations with the bear. I don't understand why they made the game more difficult later on on the easy mode. I chose this easy mode for some reason. On episode 1 and half the second episode the wolfs and other animals where running away from me. It's even more realistic that way, as the wolfs don't usually attack people irl. And then there was difficult (for me and lots of people - I read comments from December 2020 so not so long ago) struggle with the Old Bear and now in the 3rd episode I have wolfs, bears and also Timberwolfs attacking me. At least they could just make this attacks not so often in the easy mode. I really want to end this episode by myself cause I made this far already. U can laugh but I really enjoy the game in episode 1 and the beginning of the 2nd episode - it wasn't boring and "playing for itself" for me cause u have a lot of quests in the meantime , you need to worry about being fed, hydrated and not cold and u need to collect a lot of stuff and leave the heavy ones so the game is a bit strategic. Plus you have the interesting story and a beautiful views which I find less beautiful when I have to worry all the time if I won't be attacked again soon. Because if u suggest me watching gameplay, u suggest me not buying these game and I think it's better when more people buy it. For example I think that's why The Walking Dead need to sold the game cause a lot of people were too scared to play it and just watched it on YT cause the game is great. Anyway it's just a suggestion. I read somewhere that the attacks are more rare in the more difficult levels but u have less ammunition. But I believe I can't change the mode now when I'm already in the 3rd episode....

Edited by Siago
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, Syraith said:

I would say if anything, better explaining some of the mechanics over making a new tier. Like I sat there for an hour maybe trying to kill the great bear with the spear. Attack after attack just to give up, finish the quest, and be tackled and dragged off to his cave.

The story mode (to me) is there to teach the fundamentals for the game. That’s why I played it first. Then move onto the survival game. To make a pure story only mode takes almost everything out of the game. Every mechanic is designed to compliment another mechanic. You hunt for food and cloths, you make fires for warmth, water and cooking, etc. You already don’t really have to worry about animals in pilgrim mode, and you have saving options. I think the cave battle is a bit more difficult than it needs to be, but if it’s just the story you want, then I’d say just watch a YouTube video play through and save some money. The game is the survival mode, and it’s one of the best I have ever experienced.

I answer some your questions in the previous comment. I don't understand your suggestions cause u r suggesting me to save the money but I  believe developers want to sell the game to lots of people. I just liked the game in 1st episode and the beginning of 2nd one and I would like other episodes to have the same mechanic. If someone wants to have a more difficult game it could be a choice. That's all. 

@Siago, it will be slightly uphill in episode three if you haven't gotten there already, because you will have to deal with Timberwolves and they work in packs and attack even on easy mode. 

This game is a little bit unique in its difficulty because I've mentioned it somewhere, some things aren't very intuitive and some spots are quite tough even on easy, but be strong, you'll love it!:)

I do apologize, after reading my comment I think I was a little harsh. I’ll try to simplify my point and not sound like a lecture.

A developer has two primary objectives making a game.

- Satisfy investors

- Maintain product quality.

The first point I think was nailed 100%. They crowd funded and released (as far as I know) the game they wanted and promised. 
The second point I do feel is also satisfied. They have addressed bugs and have a very solid game released.

Beyond that, anything else new is up to them. They can cut out and work on something else, close down, or expand existing content.

The game they released is a survival adventure, and as I mentioned, has a story mode that is setup as an expanded tutorial. The main game, as you can see by the content released since the game went public, and based on the content in this forum and online, is the sandbox survival mode.

I played the story mode on Pilgrim. Simply because I wanted to get the basics and move on. But I don’t know any game that doesn’t get more difficult the further you go in. 

I see your point, but can only say learn more about how to play. Timber wolves are a danger yes. Shoot at them until the moral meter is empty and run through. Maybe kill one in the process. You should easily have the ammo. Use a marine flare and watch your step. There are ways around them.

Bears can sneak up on you. Listen, look around and just watch your step. They don’t hunt like wolves, they are easy to avoid, especially once you get used to their patrol paths and spawn locations. 

Most importantly though, use the save option. It’s a luxury that doesn’t exist in survival. 

I get your frustration but at the same time just ask to respect the wish of the developer. If they wanted to have a simple walk in the park story, they would have done so. Enjoy the brilliance that they present and put the effort in. I promise it’s worth it!

12 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

will be slightly uphill in episode three if you haven't gotten there already, because you will have to deal with Timberwolves and they work in packs and attack even on easy mode. 

I disagree, I think the timberwolf fights are much better than the old bear fights. The morale system is explained and isn’t dependent on stamina and hoping you dont sprain your wrist as much as the timberwolf which relies more on landing shots and using the most of your marine flares. 

i haven't read all of the comments, but i think the bear fight could be much better than what we currently have. 

21 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

@Siago, it will be slightly uphill in episode three if you haven't gotten there already, because you will have to deal with Timberwolves and they work in packs and attack even on easy mode. 

This game is a little bit unique in its difficulty because I've mentioned it somewhere, some things aren't very intuitive and some spots are quite tough even on easy, but be strong, you'll love it!:)

Yeah I'm already there and managed to get 2 surivivors and found the 2 others but I just got killed again by the Timberwolfs even that I shot one of them (I know u need to shoot more if there are more) and I'm running out of food etc. so I'm frustrated again. I'm seriously thinking about quitting and watching the gameplays till the end but I want to end this episode since I got so far :/ I'm making saves so I can always get back. But thanks anyway for the good words

15 hours ago, Syraith said:

I do apologize, after reading my comment I think I was a little harsh. I’ll try to simplify my point and not sound like a lecture.

A developer has two primary objectives making a game.

- Satisfy investors

- Maintain product quality.

The first point I think was nailed 100%. They crowd funded and released (as far as I know) the game they wanted and promised. 
The second point I do feel is also satisfied. They have addressed bugs and have a very solid game released.

Beyond that, anything else new is up to them. They can cut out and work on something else, close down, or expand existing content.

The game they released is a survival adventure, and as I mentioned, has a story mode that is setup as an expanded tutorial. The main game, as you can see by the content released since the game went public, and based on the content in this forum and online, is the sandbox survival mode.

I played the story mode on Pilgrim. Simply because I wanted to get the basics and move on. But I don’t know any game that doesn’t get more difficult the further you go in. 

I see your point, but can only say learn more about how to play. Timber wolves are a danger yes. Shoot at them until the moral meter is empty and run through. Maybe kill one in the process. You should easily have the ammo. Use a marine flare and watch your step. There are ways around them.

Bears can sneak up on you. Listen, look around and just watch your step. They don’t hunt like wolves, they are easy to avoid, especially once you get used to their patrol paths and spawn locations. 

Most importantly though, use the save option. It’s a luxury that doesn’t exist in survival. 

I get your frustration but at the same time just ask to respect the wish of the developer. If they wanted to have a simple walk in the park story, they would have done so. Enjoy the brilliance that they present and put the effort in. I promise it’s worth it!

Ok I understand your arguments but still I liked the game more earlier even if I'm learning the mechanics. Maybe also the problem is I'm playing on laptop so it's hard to manage the controls...idk

At least can you tell me if in survival mode on the easy level there are also animals attacking you?

• Upvote 1

@Siago should be the same mechanics as the story. And if you don’t want to build up stats to unlock the feats (stat upgrades from milestones like starting fires, running, etc.) you can make a custom game to turn off things like sprained ankle and such.

Wolfs and bears run away unless engaged, plenty of resources, manageable temperatures, etc. Timberwolves still attack but you can avoid the region entirely if you like since it’s just about the survival.

• Upvote 2

Ok, thanks for the information ✌️ So I'll try the survival mode cause "regular" animals I can get but this Timberwolfs are driving me crazy 😫I thought that the story mode is the "main" game but I can see now that maybe it's only a preparation for the "real" game 🤔Still I would like to play not so stressful game with an interesting story as in the beginning. But thanks anyway!

Edited by Siago