Infinite Resources

Dick and Doris

Cattails grow back for sure. I harvested a bunch at Timberwolf mountain, but left those brown things and after a while, I got new ones grow back. I knew this because a bunch of brown things were still there where I left them.

Deer and wolves will all respawn as well. All this might be different though because on harder difficulty, or on custom, you can set an option where there's less animal population over time. Not sure if you can totally eliminate everyone though.. nevermind those brackets, I'm recycling screenshot.Screenshot_20210310-193323_Gallery.thumb.jpg.95c5a13a1ad6a6e4085eeba4e8c8262f.jpg

9 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Cattails grow back for sure.

Plants, mushrooms and cattails will not respawn after waiting 100 days... Except when the map was redesigned with an update patch.

20210311185540_1.thumb.jpg.4981bf9bdc730762e1402743035050a0.jpg
What you see may be what was hidden because it was crowded in the same place, but changed to be visible as you got some of them. Hmm.
(Unless you overlooked it last time and forgot to take it)

i do wish cattails/plants respawned over some long period of time.  not because i want the game to be easier, its just fun to collect and hunt resources.  i particularly love getting cattails, they are the ultimate food source

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, odium said:

i do wish cattails/plants respawned over some long period of time.  not because i want the game to be easier, its just fun to collect and hunt resources.  i particularly love getting cattails, they are the ultimate food source

I find clearing Forlorn Muskeg (and now Ash Canyon, not to mention the other areas) of cattails to be very tiring in the end... especially on Interloper where you get million of them. But I still do it

Just about everything in the game is in a sense renewable, as some of the resources can be found rarely through beach-combing. Some other things are repairable with renewable resources. But when it comes to plants, nope, they arent renewable. The normal medicine is as it can be found through beachcombing. With average resources, it is pretty difficult to run out of something in a game, even in long term games. I still prefer not to collect much of plants because then I can rely on them, being there later on. 

I'll echo what I've mentioned before in the past on this and similar subjects:

On 3/14/2020 at 3:55 AM, ManicManiac said:

Most plants are dormant in the cold seasons...  Considering the deep cold, I'd say it's reasonable that we can't farm, or that wild plants don't "respawn."  I like that aspect because it makes it important to be careful how we use the limited resources we find/forage. 

I would guess that anyone who may have found a cattail in a place they believe they already harvested... is either mistaken or are experiencing a bug; in my all my years with this game I've never known of any plants that "respawn"/"regrow" and I'm fairly certain that they were never intended to (specifically I'm referring to lichens, cattails, rosehips, reishi mushrooms, etc).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Personally I'm glad that plants don't respawn.  It encourages us to have to really think carefully about how we use up our resources.
Yes, most items are technically renewable via the beachcombing mechanic... but that's all "random" chance.  We can't count on finding the thing we are hoping for by beachcombing.  It really is a luck of the draw type situation... which is why I think that was an great solution for the otherwise finite resources.

Edited by ManicManiac