Rifle upgrades

Dancewithknives

First, I just want to say to improve the range on the thing. Ive wasted so many rounds with what should be solid hits on wandering bears and wolves that were outside of range. I’m not asking for a 1000 yard effectiveness, but if i can count the antlers on a deer in a bright day in Pleasant Valley, I should be able to hit it.

Next, i’ve found that theres no real need to carry a rifle in survival, as theres usually 1-2 in almost every region in decent shape, so I thought of some simple attachments or upgrades the player can seek to become more attached to their rifle. Maybe some parts could be scavenged off found rifles, or things could be found alone in the world and added to the gun.

Iron sights: some rifles could spawn without their irons attached, making aiming rather difficult until they have the irons installed. 

Diopter: i don’t know if Lee Enfields had diopter sights, but it could be an interesting alternative to installing a scope on the rifle. 

Magazine: Lee Enfields have a detachable box magazine, while I don’t know if they would function without the magazine attached, if they could, then the rifle could function as a single shot weapon until the 10 round magazine is installed. 

Clips: simply find the 5 round stripper clip for the enfield and the player can load 5 rounds at once. All you need is to find one to use them.

Bayonet: the enfield bayonet could be installed onto the rifle and it could be used as a 1 time get-out-of-jail card for a bear. Essentially the player, if they have a struggle with a bear like in EP2 with the spear, you could raise the bayonet and the bear will fall on it, breaking the bayonet but causing damage and run away immediately. Also, i want to note that I’m not familiar with the Enfield bayonets. They could possibly be used as knives or not if the bade itself wasn’t designed to be sharp. I would appreciate if anyone could clarify that detail. 

stock pad cushion: this was a bit of a ghetto patch job I saw once, but a friend had a gun with a broken buttplate, so he wrapped duct tape and whatnot on it to compensate. I think that bandages could be used to make an extra pad on the rifle to make recovery quicker after taking a shot.

Stock wrap: I have one of these on my rifle. Its a 1 size fits all zipper compartment that wraps around the body of the stock. It has loops for rounds and whatnot. I think that it could be used to either increase the speed of reloads or to half the weight of ammunition in inventory. 

Rifle sling: simple enough, a rifle sling could be attached to either increase equip speed or to reduce the weight while in inventory like how worn clothing weighs less than un unworn clothing in inventory.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dancewithknives said:

First, I just want to say to improve the range on the thing. Ive wasted so many rounds with what should be solid hits on wandering bears and wolves that were outside of range. I’m not asking for a 1000 yard effectiveness, but if i can count the antlers on a deer in a bright day in Pleasant Valley, I should be able to hit it.

I agree. I also would like to see the rifle be a more effective long range weapon. Right now range increases with skill level, which I also disagree with somewhat, I think more realistically rifle stability should be affected instead. However, I understand this is most likely the case as it seems the bullet travels based on the center of the screen. I'd also like to see some basic bullet physics to compensate for this longer range, nothing as extreme as say Arma 3, but something like trajectory being affected by wind. I doubt bullet drop would become a serious factor due to the size of the current maps, but it could be considered. 

43 minutes ago, Dancewithknives said:

Bayonet: the enfield bayonet could be installed onto the rifle and it could be used as a 1 time get-out-of-jail card for a bear. Essentially the player, if they have a struggle with a bear like in EP2 with the spear, you could raise the bayonet and the bear will fall on it, breaking the bayonet but causing damage and run away immediately. Also, i want to note that I’m not familiar with the Enfield bayonets. They could possibly be used as knives or not if the bade itself wasn’t designed to be sharp. I would appreciate if anyone could clarify that detail. 

A bayonet, although very unlikely to find, could be an interesting item. I don't like the idea of it being capable of defending against bears, but rather something to jab at a oncoming wolf. Problem is bayonets aren't something that'd be carried by Canadian Rangers (at least to my knowledge) and have generally gone out of favor in modern military usage anyway. Also with bayonets, they don't necessarily have to have a sharp blade just a strong sharp point, hence why some bayonet variants for the Lee Enfield (that I'll show below) are simply a sharp spike. 

38a6536e506b7a13ddd242503723dc29.thumb.jpg.3f5891a1029f83342c7caad4b7cf8c79.jpg

Edited by one_shurbbery
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, one_shurbbery said:

Problem is bayonets aren't something that'd be carried by Canadian Rangers (at least to my knowledge) and have generally gone out of favor in modern military usage anyway

Civilians can own bayonets as relics and antiques( well, Americans can at least) . Be it family heirlooms or collector pieces, full matching parts war rifles are worth a lot of money. I personally own a Swiss K-31 and a bayonet, which the Swiss Bayonets are known for being unusually sharp. I wasn’t sure about the Enfields, though. 

also, I think the bayonet on the rifle could be useful to help protect the player against bear attacks. I feel like there needs to be something besides the flare gun that can easily fend of bears, and i think it would be an easy attachment for the rifle.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My thoughts about it:

Range - I think the range being based on the survivor's skill is a game design decision based on balance, progression etc. That is the only thing that explains it to me. Weapon skill should be the ability to control aim, sustain recoil, and related tasks (reloading fast, cleaning, etc), and not enhance the projectile's thrust.
Unless that it's a VERY abstract way to show one's ability to hunt progressively, and so i think that approach is totally plausible.

Rifle attached - If there was only ONE SINGLE rifle spawn in game (and possibly a single revolver too), the things would become intersting :D
There would be a lot more challenge until they were found, since both weapons adds much power to hunting and wolf enconters. 

Personally, i'd love this was implemented in some game mode, standard or custom.

Sights, Bayonets and other accessories - Well, i'm not big fan of the idea, because i don't see the game turned to military aspect so much (although we have some military clothings and boots). From my understanding, these are tools for war use, not for hunting.
Please, forgive me. I'm not expert in hunting with weapons.

15 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

From my understanding, these are tools for war use, not for hunting.

Erhm..... well..... the Lee Enfiled SMLE that the game’s rifle was based on was the main small arm of all English Commonwealth forces in both World Wars... so...

Anyway, joking aside, about half the things I mentioned are already in the game(Iron sights, magazine, stripper clips) they could just be taken away or used differently to give the rifle more character. Less firearms in that game would be interesting, but I think there could be a whole added meta in making one rifle marginally better while hunting down parts in the world.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dancewithknives said:

Wait, are you kidding me? Really? God thats so dumb.

It's not range, but rather an ability to hit target. Steady hand, grip, ect..If it were as easy in real life as aiming and pulling a trigger to drop an animal 200 yards away, anyone would do it.:) remember, McKenzie is a pilot and Astrid is a doctor. Their not hunters🐩

You can actually hit things farther away than you might think with the rifle and revolver, it is just not a certainty. 

Stand on the bluffs near the Hunting Lodge and you can hit the bear that is ambling around on the snow below (note I did say "can" not "will").  Similarly for the rifle.  I believe that one youtuber has tried a "trick shot" from the top of the bluffs near the control hut on Signal Hill and it would be possible to score a hit on the bear down below. 

There is no ballistics curve for the rifle or revolver bullet though there is one for the arrow.  

Get five rounds of rifle ammo and the ammo magically sprouts a stripper clip when one reloads the rifle. 

A bayonet would serve no purpose at the present time largely because the devs have not figured out how to accommodate the bear spear, in survival mode, which a bayonet would sort of transform the SMLE into a facsimile of.  Also effective use of a bayonet on a rifle may require practice/training but the devs can gloss over that. 

Most everything else suggested would certainly seem reasonable but, like a lot of things in a game, the devs would have to decide it was worth their time and effort to implement.  Until Story mode concludes, they would have to think in those terms.