Masking your smell with smoke (fires)

Istvan82

Hi there, I've always wondered if there could be a game mechanic that would allow us to hide our smell and thought of smoke from outdoor fires to do the thing. Of course the effect would only work within a certain radius of the fire (not sure if it's feasible to model the smoke plume considering wind for extra coverage). We wouldn´t be able to hide our smell forever but it could give some help when returning from a hunting trip and finding a pack of wolves wandering nearby.

Thanks!

Would this work, though? Smoke has quite distinct smell, and smelling of smoke would in animals cause the instinct to run away, because it means there is a fire nearby. I think it already sort of works in the game in a sense that if you build a fire while sleeping in a cave, the animals cannot attack you during your sleep. As for hiding a smell of a human by smoking oneself, I am not sure if it would bluff the animals. I think they could probably still distinquish the smell from another. It might still work because they would be inclined to run away from the smell of smoke, from the possible source of forest fire. 

Personally, I dont think its neccesary. There are things to consider here - and that is generally taking the route that has no predators in a way, or carrying less of meats and items that smell, also using stones to distract or just weapons to clear one´s way ahead. If someone sets up their base in the middle of wolf territory such as the gas station in Coastal highway, for example, they should account for wolves being a constant problem there. That said, I have no problem with this idea. 

22 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

As for hiding a smell of a human by smoking oneself, I am not sure if it would bluff the animals. I think they could probably still distinquish the smell from another. It might still work because they would be inclined to run away from the smell of smoke, from the possible source of forest fire. 

I was thinking more about generating an area that cancels your smell, but if you leave that area you will still attract wildlife. Camping for a couple of hours by a fire could allow you to take advantages of changes in the wind direction to avoid wolf packs.