FPS Drops and Slowdowns in Wind and Snow Drift

StandardFare

Hi!

Allthough the game otherwise runs smoothly on my system, I usually get FPS drops or slowdowns when there is wind with snowdrift in forests. It happens rather in windy situations in better weather, not so much in full-on blizzards. It is especially noticable when walking through forests.

My graphics card is Nvidia 1050Ti (ca. 2017) and CPU is i7 3770 (ca. 2012), RAM 16 GB.

My graphics settings are custom "overall high" but not ultra.

What advice can you give me to smooth this issue out?

What is the explanation for slowdowns in the situation described above? Is it because Wind Physics needs intensive CPU calculations and my CPU is rather old?

I'm novice with Hardware and Graphic Options terminology, so any help would be appreciated. Also, I can provide more details about my options if needed.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Nicolas

• 2 weeks later...

It does a shadow effect around the edges of objects, so if you look at say a tree limned against the sky, look carefully around the tree and you'll see that there is a sort of penumbra around it. Helps make the landscape pop. It's also pretty expensive computationally speaking, so it really depends on whether your card's up to hammering it. If you're having trouble with frames dropping large, try turning it down instead of just off to see if your card's up to it.

• Upvote 1

OK, I will do some more experimantation with SSAO set to low instead of off.

With Off, i no longer suffer from the FPS drops in "windy snow drift" as described in my initial post.

I don't understand why shadows around edges would cause slow downs in these specific "windy snow drift" situations.

A specific location in the game which had very bad slowdowns for years, was inside the little office building at the milton picknick area near the rope cliff. With SSAO off, I can now move around in that office completely smoothely with 60 fps (maximum of my Monitor).

Also my GTX 1050ti is far better that then official Hardware Requirements of the game recommends, which to me as novice implies, I should be able to smoothly run with every setting at Ultra. My CPU also meets the recommended requirement, though it is an old CPU.

Edited by StandardFare

Great! So it seems that the bottleneck on my system is hit somewhere between SSAO High and SSAO Medium. With Medium I no longer have the frame rate drops and can smoothly sail at constant 60 FPS.

My hopefully final settings are now as follows:

Starting point "Preset Ultra" -> Change SSAO from High to Medium, no other setting modified (becomes "Preset Custom").

Happy. Thank you all for the hints, especially Old Hermit!

Edited by StandardFare
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1