Replaying Story Mode

Sherri

So, I'm replaying story mode because the first time I did it on Pilgrim it quickly became too easy. And you can't change difficulty between episodes. When the final two chapters come out, I don't want the game being too easy to detract from that.

Anyway... the first time I played, I was new to the game. Playing without map knowledge was a real challenge. Now, with several hundred hours into Survival, replaying the story feels fresh again because now I know the maps and having a story and quests to follow is extremely fun.

I haven't seen a single bear other than The Bear... I wonder if Wintermute has no other bears? 🧐

Anyone else tackle Wintermute more than once and notice anything different the second time around?

I just recently replayed story mode after having only played episodes 1 & 2 and then only when they were first released.  So I had never played the Redux versions nor had I played Episode 3.  I was curious how it was gonna play out as memory of my first exposure wasn't necessarily positive considering all the time I had been playing in survival mode.  That being said, this time around I decided to play the game to the fullest extent that I could with the intent to complete every side quest I could and explore the area to the best ability based on what the game would allow me to do.  

I still found the gameplay linear in terms of following along in the story line which just seemed to be pushing me to keep moving forward banging out missions and just getting thru it sooner than later.  That being said, I just decided to maximize my stay in each location looting and salvaging as best as I could and playing within the narrow allowances that story mode enabled.  As you mentioned @Sherri there definitely was a relative absence of bears, maybe on account of the limited types of weapons made available, I don't know but they made up for it with wolves...

I'd say with the game save option in place, dial up the pain level to maximum and jump right in!  

• Like 1

I originally finished it on medium originally and simultaneously did a survival world. Then I played survival too much and came bak to Wintermute and it was disappointingly easy.

I intend to replay Wintermute on the hardest difficulty too. But I feel even that might be too easy. So it will mostly be for the side quest achievements I missed

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

The timber wolves live in Bleak Inlet in Survival Mode.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Perhaps I haven't phrased it clearly, I apologize. I meant in pleasant valley storymode, there are timberwolves,l. But in pleasant valley in survival, there aren't any timberwolves, just regular wolves.

One thing I love about Wintermute is having a purpose to my gameplay. Survival is fun but I often feel a bit aimless. And once I've explored all regions I rarely know what to do with myself.

I confess, Wintermute is my fav part of this game and the story of what on earth happened to the world has me hooked. I'm a lost in the wilderness / shipwrecked / Robinson Crusoe type of fan so this story is right up my alley. :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Episode 3 has hostile wildlife even on Green Survivor. In the very beginning there's just regular wolves, but once you advance the main story a bit the regular wolves disappear, and then it's timberwolves. And bears make an appearance in Episode 3 as well, although they're just regular old bears, not bulletproof demon bears.

I recall seeing bears in Forlorn Muskeg in Story mode episode 2 after I have dealt with the Old bear in survival mode. I have spent some time playing the episode after the Old bear was dealt with to finish up the side quests. But that was a long time ago, before Episode 3 came out. Things might have changed since then. It kind of makes sense - it would be easy to mistake normal bears for the Old bear playing the Episode 2 even though they have slightly different models. Think they only start showing up after that part of the story is finished.

I feel that playing Story Mode on the highest difficulty level is still kinda easier than playing Survival on Stalker. But yet I was able to focus more on the story details, side quests, etc. It feels great to revisit the story after some time.