Shoes for Cinderella

Nordique

Footwear size should matter.

It is understandably very rare for games to consider clothing item sizing. Even thinking about the processing overhead from a table of sizes tracking various items in a sandbox makes one shudder. But especially in TLD where clothing is an integral part of the experience (and freezing even more so), I think a Cinderella problem with footwear would be an interesting mechanic. I'll restrict my proposal to shoes, which I think could be just within reach, coding effort and processing wise.

Perhaps a grade of Small - Fitting - Large on all footwear items would do? I'll let you all propose suitable afflictions for ill-fitting footwear, bring out the blisters and twisted ankles! 🙂

My rationale:

1) The starting gear must be of the right size, so this could force an interesting choice e.g. to either hang on to the otherwise damned leather city slippers of the right size or to go with warmer lumberjack size work boots and face the consequences.
2) The hunt for the perfectly fitting pair of manufactured footwear would give a further worthy goal for mid-late game.
3) Ill-fitting footwear is a serious risk, this could bump the chances of a frostbite which is otherwise of little concern from mid-game.
4) Since crafting produces bespoke gear, this would prod towards making your own. Maybe depending on Mending skill?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I like where your coming from, however I think it’d make the game way too tedious. Despite me usually wanting realism, the way all the clothes just magically fit is just one of the things I chock up to it just being a game. Plus I’d hate it if after searching everywhere for a pair of mukluks only to find a pair too small lol. Also great title. 

7 hours ago, Nordique said:

Footwear size should matter.

Props for this amazing idea and post.

This is such a great game and it only gets better with each change and update.

There are many ways this clothes size idea could add to the current system; and for me the addition of realistic challenges adds to the satisfaction felt when the challenge is overcome, making the game much more fun to replay.

We currently are at the extreme of all clothes items have value and are a perfect fit for our character...we only keep Will's jacket for sentimental reasons, not because it fits well and therefore is a better choice...and the logo is also very cool.

The other extreme might be that all clothes items have value for the materials harvested but none are a perfect fit until mended...and yes Mukluks could be the "one-size-fits-all Cinderella footwear".

The Hinterland Team could do so much here with so many options for adding value to items and adding balance to mid and late game loot.

Well done my friend. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in

Ever wonder why the character spends so much time rummaging through a dresser, only to conclude that it's empty? I've always told myself they're passing up the stuff that doesn't fit. Similar to how there seems to be precisely zero feminine clothing like ball gowns or skirts. They're getting passed over because they're not useful in this environment.

Similar deal in the kitchen. They spend a minute rummaging through a drawer only to conclude that it's just baking dishes. Then in the junk drawer behind a pile of spoons they find a box with a few matches remaining: Jackpot! Or the bathroom medicine cabinet.  Antacids? Nope. Xanax? Nope. Q-tips? Don't need 'em. Ah! A sterile bandage, now THIS I can use!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

On 3/8/2021 at 2:36 AM, ajb1978 said:

Ever wonder why the character spends so much time rummaging through a dresser, only to conclude that it's empty? I've always told myself they're passing up the stuff that doesn't fit. Similar to how there seems to be precisely zero feminine clothing like ball gowns or skirts. They're getting passed over because they're not useful in this environment.

Similar deal in the kitchen. They spend a minute rummaging through a drawer only to conclude that it's just baking dishes. Then in the junk drawer behind a pile of spoons they find a box with a few matches remaining: Jackpot! Or the bathroom medicine cabinet.  Antacids? Nope. Xanax? Nope. Q-tips? Don't need 'em. Ah! A sterile bandage, now THIS I can use!

That's a great way to see it!

In my head canon I subscribe to the other prevalent view, which is grittier. Probably this goes a long way explaining the tweaks I've had in mind!

The rugged islanders have had little use for non-essential items of the high-heel type to begin with. The luckier ones have sashayed out of there with their everything already years ago when the economy tanked -- Every time I see a home flying the Canadian flag I dub it belonging to the island's nobility, akin the Milton Bank Manager 🙂. Then with the Event, the remaining few holdouts had finally enough of the weather and have been retreating through the habitable areas hoovering up the remaining usable kit -- a good proportion of them obviously did not make it.

This leaves our unlucky survivor landing in a doubly forsaken part of the world, at what seems the worst possible time -- except that the winter is only getting started. With a very few exceptions all the places to loot have been gone through multiple times, and as has been pointed out, it is only by grave error there is still any good stuff left.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, Sir Loin1557 said:

Agree with Stinky Socks, play interloper and tell me how many pairs of shoes/boots you find per map, then i cant even wear any because id need one to fit my size. Its a video game, relax with these odd requests forum, please

For me Loper could use a more consistent difficulty curve. I've played Interloper-only for years, and my suggestions are to tweak Interloper into a more relentlessly engaging experience. I would like to prolong what IMO is the absolute best part of TLD: the first 50 or so days.

I think it is suboptimal to deny the player already-created content. Currently most of the difficulty in Interloper comes from content restrictions: best-tier clothes, firearms... On one hand I appreciate the poetic scarcity, but on the other I think it would be interesting to have to make more choices, with harsh tradeoffs. For example:

Of course keep the current amount of footwear. Allow the player to use whichever, but assign (probably algorithmically across maps to encourage travel) sizes Small/Fit/Large to all items. Small ones would introduce a penalty of some sort, Large ones of some other sort. Besides keeping the player on their toes (harhar) for longer, this would introduce more gameplay choice and also make the starting gear more valuable, since all of that would be Fitting to begin with. And ... if you'd want some carrot and not all stick, perhaps with enough Mending skill Large shoes could be retrofitted into slightly warmer than regular shoes?

• Like 2