Herbal tea saved my life

Hotzn

I never thought this would happen, but one of these days, a cup of herbal tea saved my life. I got badly injured by wolves and then got into a blizzard. Somehow made it to Alan's cave, quickly harvested 1 softwood and started a fire. I was still freezing when the fire was on (temperature rising slowly) and almost dead. Immediately cooked a herbal tea and drank it. Freezing was stopped at condition 2%. I would have frozen to death next to the fresh fire had it not been for that tea :D

I always have 5-10 tins of coffee with me for these kinds of emergencies. ;)

They hardly weight anything and whenever you're stuck in a fishing hut or cave overnight (blizzard lasts until night fell) they can prevent exhaustion and save your life. (Unless I have the bear bedroll, I would never sleep outside voluntarily).

Once I was trapped in a fishing hut for about 24 hours (blizzard in the afternoon -> night -> blizzard in the morning) and drank about 7 cups of coffee along the way. I'm glad there is no need to pee, my poor character would have exploded otherwise. :lol:

Hotzn,

Man, great story and great idea!

I had noticed that we get a very slight (100 cal) boost from drinking either tea or coffee, but I had been "hoarding" it as a last ditch survival measure, as I (rather stupidly) hadn't fully considered how important that could be when combined with the warmth bonus--which saved your life!

Immediately after reading your post, I included a few packages of tea in my permanent kit--and, in all likelihood, it'll save me someday, too. I've got some coffee stored up, also, and will use that once I'm out of tea.

Anyway, thanks!!

--Gibbon

I believe tea and coffee are the most underrated items in the game, but they can be very handy as a last resort. Not only because of the weight bonus (0.25l to drink with 0.10kg weight), especially the coffee can decided if you die or not. I'm always cheering when I find some instant coffee :D

Btw, you can pre-cook it and only heat it when you need it. Coffee gives the bonus even cold and if you need it hot to warm up, it only takes 5 mins to warm instead of 10 to cook.

• 4 weeks later...

I always carry coffee on my character if I have some. It can be so useful not only for the calories but the fatigue reduction. I know I've gotten stuck out in a blizzard without enough food or water, but with some meat from a fresh kill and I was able to get into a hut, keep myself awake enough to boil some water and cook the rabbit meat and then eat and drink without just getting ruined. Starving and dehydration alone was wreaking havoc on my condition, and being exhausted could have taken it to the next level for sure.

Archived