Windchimes

TheKnightIsDark

A few windchimes in the game might be a really nice touch. It's not intrusive or game breaking, or overpowered and players can choose to ignore it or make use of it.

A few spawn randomly in every world. You find them hanging on random houses. So finding them is a nice surprise/bonus. And you can grab them to hang elsewhere. And when it's windy, they make a nice (but soft) sound. This can really add to the ambience and experience. They can be long lasting or have a very small chance to break during a blizzard

And Hinterland can choose how far the sound travels too. This would determine if windchimes can also be used as a way to navigate. For example, I take off windchimes from a house, and hang it on a fishing hut. During low visibility, a very faint sound allows me to make my way back to the hut. If it's a blizzard I wouldnt be able to hear it, which makes it balanced

Edited by TheKnightIsDark
  • Upvote 5
  • Like 2

I would like this. It would be cool if we could hear it inside the house too.

edit------

It would almost certainly have to be something you could take off/destroy easily. I am sure the chimes would drive some people insane.

Edited by odizzido
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, odizzido said:

I would like this. It would be cool if we could hear it inside the house too.

edit------

It would almost certainly have to be something you could take off/destroy easily. I am sure the chimes would drive some people insane.

Agreed!

And good point about preference. Being able to take them off naturally deactivates them for anyone who doesnt like the sound, which I figure would be a random time interval between 5-40 seconds anyway. That's how often I hear them at home

I actually quite like wind chimes and am happy when people put them out. I would probably leave them on.

One thing I would find funny would be the option to stomp on them until they break. I bet it would make people who hate those chimes happy.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea as a guide for sure! Scrap, a stick or two, and cured guts to craft your own, maybe require the milling machine to craft the scrap just to give it a little rarity so you’re not decking out all of Milton with them or something.

Definitely love it!

• Like 1

I really hope that if they do add customisation that it actually does something. I and I know at least some others don't care about cosmetic stuff in games enough to bother with it. If it both looked nice AND it did something practical, then I would be all for it. They could have it as a dual purpose item/change.

I would love to be able to set up a windchime (maybe some recycled cans and gut strings?) close to refuges/bases for those times during blizzards when you get totally lost and start running in circles just a few meters away from safety.

• Upvote 2