Struggling to get back into Wintermute, looking for encouragement

Gwynren

I don't insult easily young(ISH) man😃  thanks for the rare comp!iment though! Don't get many at my age! 

Thought it was payback for something I've said to offend you? Sincerely hope not! But I could still kick your ass at COD!😂

Used to be in army cadets as teenager! Used rifle similar to the game one!  Good fun most of the time but not at 5am on a very cold October morning in the middle of the woods! Without breakfast! Tried to join TA's when 18 but too unfit!😃

That's awesome!! I remember back in 5th or 6th grade, we would go down to the armory(school basement) and shoot rifles. It was part of school class we had; teaches you how to use milling, drilling machines, and similar. We would turn wood in the chucks and made cups, candle holders and other bunch of neat stuff. It was lot of fun!

You had an armoury at your school!? Where was this? Other stuff sounds like fun and useful too! What age is 5th grade.? We have a different system for class years!

By the way some peopl think spanking is fun!

Edited by Leeanda

Ukraine. It was pellet rifles, I forgot to add that. Looked a lot like metro2033 setting in the basement. Very much fun! Teacher was awesome too! I was 11 or 10 back then I think. Don't remember

Spanking is fun as in....spank me, baby? Or not, sorry I'm thinking dirty thoughts? O deer.

Edited by Stinky socks

Yes that kind of...fun!  Have a cold shower!💦

My brother used to have gun  that fired pellets until he started making little holes in the bedroom furniture! I've still got one of the chest of drawers!😂

Wish I knew what half of these emojis are!  What is Metro 2033? PC game is it? The best games are  PC only! Except TLD of course!

Okay, hmm. Well I don't like cold showers.  I'll go read up the constitution instead.

I have air rifle, shoots .22 pellets. Goes clean through a squirrel. Definitely don't want pointing her at funny angles. Probably might hurt. I really want a real gun, but ammo is expensive right now and then I'd have to go to a range to shoot. I do hear shotguns here or there occasionally, so perhaps its fine for backyard? I live out of city limits.

Metro2033 is post apocalyptic survival shooter with story in Moscow metro tunnels system after nuclear war. Ultra fun!! Its based on a book by dmitriy glukhovskiy. 

Poor squirrels! 😥 what other furry cute little things would you shoot (apart from rabbits)?if you had a gun !

Hopefully not your neighbours. We have very strict laws on guns over here and quite right too!. Mainly farmers and snooty lords of the manor for pheasants etc.. The only dangerous animal here though is an adder (snake!). Should imagine there's a few there!I'll check out metro on ytube . 

Constitution long is it?☺

I forgot they do that! Deep fried on wires! I killed Astrid that way once😃! On purpose! Will was an accident! Got stuck cos of a glitch and I couldn't save him!. Funny how scruffy never stands on them!

I actually like squirrels we have a few round here but they are well behaved ones! Occasionally they dig a bit in the garden but never  bite on wires!

Do you have much  open space- wildlife where you live then? I took you for a city boy?😁

That's surprising ! Thought they did't eat anything except grass ? Saves having to mow the lawn though!😄 especially with that much land!

Getting used to the peace and quiet of the countryside takes awhile but it's better than all that noise! Apart from the massive spiders which seem to turn up in creepy places like in your bed!!

My batteries are nearly dead!!!😭got to go count some 🐑 anyway! 

Edited by Leeanda

Haha you guys, I returned to Wintermute last week and started from the beginning (because it has now been so long since I started the story, I'd forgotten many of the finer details), and am now up to the last radio tower. I'll update you on my progress!

This time, I am determined to get through the cave and finish episode 2, and I will shamelessly use that YouTube tutorial to do that: thank you @Glflegolasfor posting it! Already, I am finding it much easier to do the struggles now that I've had more experience with them, and also because I've set my mouse to 'click and hold'; in fact, I only died twice at the previous tower! Timing the spear is still annoying, but becoming more doable.

All that said, I still think this part of story mode is incredibly weak and doesn't gel with the rest of the TLD story mode experience to date. What's especially bad is the tediously long cutscene with all the screaming and mauling that cannot be skipped. In my opinion, it's a lapse of judgement and poor story design - to not expect at least a fraction of the players to die in the attack repeatedly, to the point where they will get sick of watching that scene over and over. I know I'm not alone in this, I have Google 😁

To touch on some points raised earlier before this thread became a hunting discussion (not dignifying the bit about age, I'm afraid to even ask what Stinky meant by 'elderly' given I'm a couple of decades younger than @Leeanda...), yes, this bear part is not difficult for some, and extremely difficult for others. All of that comes down to not just the possession or lack of gamer reflexes, but also what kinds of games the player has experience with. For example, I didn't even know what type of encounter the cave part is until I read somewhere that it's a stealth thing. I've never played a stealth game. I've never played a FPS. Someone who has played a lot of both may likely find this 'boss fight' a cakewalk, but we know that TLD has a pretty diverse player base, and not all of us have been trained by games in the above genres to successfully beat this challenge. The difficulty of the encounter is entirely subjective, but from a game design perspective, it seems to only work and appeal to a certain type of gamer, which only represents a subsection of the people who gravitate towards TLD. I don't know how much harder it might be in other difficulties, but in Green Survivor mode it just comes across as shockingly tough and out of line with the rest of it. However, they've already done a Redux on the first two eps, so we can hardly expect that to ever change. I just hope the next two episodes are worth this nonsense, for me 😁

Edited by Gwynren
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Clairec321 said:

Personally i do prefer to play TLD with passive wildlife too. i love the game for the survival aspect of it and like the solitude and escapism it brings... my RL can be stressful lol

Same!! I play this game to relax and escape; I have anxiety and am very jumpy so I don't seek out the experience of being jumped by aggressive wildlife, despite that being a core part of TLD for many! If I play with aggressive wildlife, I get palpitations immediately, it's not healthy.

• Upvote 2

Good job!😄. I have the same nerve issues so I know how stressful that flippin' cave is! As for the screaming bit it's even worse!

Now you can relax a bit!the main problem in the 3rd episode for me was the weather! won't say anything else cos of spoilers!

Good luck with the rest of it!😃

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. I finished the very first chapter of Episode 3 tonight and it already feels so much better than the first two - so far, the story and interactions are much more streamlined and logical, and the emotional impact from even the smallest things so much greater. It's like the story mode has matured into actually being good, which makes me very excited. Really grateful that I got past the, ahem, hurdles to arrive here 😊Thanks so much for the encouragement, y'all!

Maybe this method of dealing with the Old Bear, which would only involve one mauling, followed by a stealthy escape to the mainline, would be more up your alley? The post where I wrote this is from this thread here.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:14 AM, Glflegolas said:

If there was one derailed train that would make sense, but having groups of railcars (some derailed, some not) scattered along the mainline is something I can't fully explain.

However, as for how the trains derailed, I think we see a clue from Story Mode. 

-minor spoiler alert-

Will tries to escape the Old Bear by getting into a railway speeder. The Old Bear charges at it, knocking it off the tracks and rolling it down an embankment.

-spoiler end-

So maybe it wasn't the earthquake at all that caused the derailments -- it was the Old Bear all along! But, I'm starting to get some ideas for how The Hunted, Part 3 could work out... how about getting that locomotive engine in Broken Railroad started during the aurora, attaching the bear spear to it, luring the bear onto the tracks with a flare, and running him down with the train?

On 7/2/2021 at 1:02 AM, Glflegolas said:

how about getting that locomotive engine in Broken Railroad started during the aurora, attaching the bear spear to it, luring the bear onto the tracks with a flare, and running him down with the train?

YES please 😂

• Upvote 1