Wishlist item: candles

Hotzn

+1 for candles

I've beenthinking for a while now that this game could do with a lot of additional items. Some useful, some not. Saturate the environment with items and byproducts that add weight if carried but may or may not have any practical use. Like grease left over after cooking meat combined with a bit of fungus/cloth/string or whatever and an empty can from a previous meal being used to create a can-dle. A noob may carry around 5 lbs of grease just beacuse the default stance in most survival games is to pick up and take EVERYTHING you find. The first time I tried DayZ I was carrying around a dozen empty cans before I finally figured out they have little to no use. TLD isn't portraying survival in the aftermath of a disaster long past, but survival in a disaster that JUST happened. I would expect more common items to be readily available in houses and whatnot. Paperclips, pots and pans, paper towels, light bulbs, etc. could all be picked up and carried even though they may be perfectly useless...

Kind of off topic. I like the idea of candles.

Candles are one of my top wishes for this game. I just can't stand the darkness inside the houses much longer.

My suggestions would be:

• Make crafting(repair impossible in darkness: It makes no sense how you could do that

• Make candles blow out fast when you carry them (no one would attempt to cross the abandoned mine with a candle in his hands)

• Make candles for lighting interiors and workbenches pretty abundant and easy to obtain (just think how many hours of light a 99c pack of 100 tea lights would give you!)

• crafting is not necessary* because candles and tea lights can be found in stores and almost any house. Just think for a moment now many candles you currently have in your home and how much light they would provide. I came to at least 50 candles and probably a lot more stashed in old boxes. No need for Eskimo lights made from blubber/fat

*It's also surprising how many ways there are on youtube to make your own candles, from oil, wax etc

+1 for candles! :)

There doesn't seem to be an English term for it, but having some kind of "Windlicht" lantern would be nice. (That's basically nothing but a candle in a glass that protects the candle from being blown out immediately).

Like this one:

beton_windlicht.jpg

Such a candle will neither give a lot of light (maybe not even enough to traverse the abandonned mine) nor heat, but at least you could use it to have some light while crafting at night.

It could also be used to carry around fire with you on a calm day. Would be a nice additional possibility to light a campfire. (For balancing reasons you might have to hold the candle in your hand if you want to carry around fire. As soon as you switch to rifle/storm lantern/flare, the candle burns out.)

crafting is not necessary* because candles and tea lights can be found in stores and almost any house. Just think for a moment now many candles you currently have in your home and how much light they would provide

Let see:

150 6 hour tea lights (and yes, these actually burn for 6 hours)

50-100 assorted tea lights (anywhere from 3-6 hours burn time)

10-15 large decorative candles

+/- 10 taper candles

Enough to keep us out of the dark for a long time...

*It's also surprising how many ways there are on youtube to make your own candles, from oil, wax etc

I know :D Crayons and cans with oil (like a tin of sardines) are my favorites.

Wow. And I thought I had too many, because I often buy some and end up not using them. Let me just say that I can remember times when our family had to spend nights by candle light. When I was a kid in East Germany during the 80s we occasionally had complete power outages. It did not happen much, perhaps 1-2 times a year but we'd have to sit the rest of the evening with candles.

Yeah, I've experienced a 3 (or was it 4?) day power outage some years ago. Candles helped a good deal. That's also why we now have those 150 6 hour tea lights stashed, those are bought specifically with power outages in mind.

But keep in mind, you typically don't use just 1 tea light when the power is out. Several spread out through the living room would probably be the minimum. Unless of course you'd have reason to expect the power to stay out for a very long time ;)

How about a Kudlik? The bowl could be crafted from scrap metal or fir wood, the wick from cloth or old man beard lichen, and the fuel could be from bear fat? You could carry or place it like a lantern but it could blow out in high winds. Would be a good endgame light if bear fat is required.

I don't know whether this has been suggested here before, it sure has on the steam forums: candles. They shouldn't make much difference temperature-wise, and they would probably blow out at the slightest gust of wind outside. But they would make it really cozy in any shelter. Just for the atmosphere of being safe for one night's sleep...

I see your point, i can get behind that, it also wouldn't take much programming to make it into an actual asset against the elements if they implement tent/tarp construction setup soon. I mean, it's a survival game and the bedrool is on the ground without anything between you and the ground? It's halfbaked in my opinion.

How about a Kudlik? The bowl could be crafted from scrap metal or fir wood, the wick from cloth or old man beard lichen, and the fuel could be from bear fat? You could carry or place it like a lantern but it could blow out in high winds. Would be a good endgame light if bear fat is required.

Oi, never heard or seen such a device. It's invented to keep the heat alive in iglos's isn't it? Looks very interesting to try out!

Kudlik looks very simple to make. In one video someone took a seashell, put a short piece of rope inside, poured olive oil over it and lit the rope. It will burn for a long time. Very easy. He put aluminium foil behind it to reflect the light which is also interesting.

Ideas like this would give the game a more educational side.

Archived