...for the weary traveler

Stinky socks

Do you leave food in spots where you often pass?

Whenever I girl in between regions and there is a cave or a house on the way which is a good spot to rest overnight, I like to collect and leave some firewood, food and water. That way, whenever I travel through and need to stop and rest, I don't have to hunt right away or start fires to cook water or food.

I can't say how many times I've been glad I did that!🍔🍟🔥

Do you have any similar strategy? Please share, thank you!

screen_cdb6fcb2-fc62-4610-b4c9-c2f654e6271a_hi.thumb.jpg.367886ff963eefbba2570e043524e4e9.jpg

• Like 1

I usually leave nothing where I'm never coming back. Instead, I'll leave supplies in my position and my tops in the areas near him. So I can walk around my safe land any way I want. 

And if I'm going to get out of the safe zone for bullets or something, and I'm going to go where I'm going in one place, I'm going to leave supplies on my tops along that road. 

Example:

If I'm in PV and I have to go to BL to make bullets, I'll leave without taking all the stuff I left on the ML possible tops on the road and renew my gear in the tower at BI. That way I can live longer. 

Or let's be in PV again. If I have to go to CH and do an arrowhead, I'll leave supplies on my tops in the CH and try to replenish them before I leave the area. 

I move about a lot, so on my long runs (voyager/stalker) I will usually establish at least one main base in each region with:

spare matches and firewood, at least one of all medical supplies

at least a day's worth of long lasting food (jerky, cattails, crackers etc.), water, a spare can or two (and a pot if there's a big stove), raw meat if I've had luck hunting

spare clothes, at minimum a hat and gloves to avoid frostbite if i rock up after a bear mauling, a sewing kit/ tackle

any spare tools, a flare or two, lamp oil, a clip or two of ammo, arrow heads and feathers, maybe a half used whetstone

partly this has been because of weight considerations, with the new backpack I may find I'm consolidating a bit more in future as it's less of a chore to lug things about.

In addition, I like to have little safehouse depots at most of the smaller locations on my main routes with a minimum of:

2-3 matches, sticks and a larger fuel source

a bandage

some sort of tea, a cattail, water

possibly some low end clothing such as an obsolete jumper or driving gloves/ cotton scarf

tackle, tin can, a piece of cloth

a torch, or flare if plentiful

This ensures that if anything goes bad, i should be able to get warm, sleep for a couple of hours, stem bleeding until I can get more treatment, and get through any caves or mines if needed.  It doesn't work out too wasteful as if the clothing degrades I just harvest the cloth, and chances are by the time I need the food I'm at level 5 cooking so food poisoning is not an issue even if it's ruined.

I'll also have a couple of 'hunting stores' such as whichever fishing hut on ML has a door, with ammo, medical supplies, lots of firewood, fishhooks, spare bedroll etc.

• 2 weeks later...

When I leave a base I take 2L of water, 2kg of meat, all my ammo, one of each tool, and 24 matches. Everything else stays behind.

Everything craft wise (animal parts, scrap, wood), I leave there, repair tools, etc.

Usually there’s about 20L or so of water but I don’t leave food. Usually that’s when I leave. After staying a couple weeks and the moose I killed is gone, I’ll move on.

Every campsite though I leave water. If a fire is going I’ll cook til it’s out. Take 2L and leave the rest.

I like the idea of knowing I can just move into an area, kill a dear, find my base, and relax as I repair and sharpen/clean everything up 😋

• Upvote 1

I too, generally just have my "bare essentials" kit with me, the rest will get left behind at one of my encampments I tend to set up in each region.  This way I have room in my pack to pick up more things as I travel from place to place.  Also, if I find I need something in particular or want a specific tool for a specific task; I can just go back and get it.  :)

On 11/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, ManicManiac said:

What I've pared down as my bare essentials kit is generally:

Whatever clothing I'm wearing (I tend to prioritize warmth/wight ratio - so while my clothing isn't the warmest possible in some slots, it's still relatively light... for example Wolfskin coats aren't as warm as Bear or Moose, but it is quite a bit lighter while still being fairly warm)
1 standard bedroll
2L of water (which for me is a comfortable night's sleep and plenty of water for the next day)
1 night's "stopover" food (bare minimum to get a good night's sleep - used only as last resort)
1 bandage
3 unprocessed lichen (as they are "lightest" when not crafted into wound dressing)
1 pack of cardboard matches
1 torch (to make best use of said cardboard matches)

***Optional, but ideal***
1 knife
1 piece of emergency coal
1 fire striker (as emergency backup in case I absent mindedly use my last match, and to enable ignition source selection for lighting aforementioned torch)
1 magnifying glass (to take advantage of clear skies for "free" fire)
1 lantern (fully fueled when possible)
1 set of fishing tackle (for emergency repairs or fishing)
1 pry bar
1 recycled can
2-4 stones for distraction/wolf deterrent.

The kit does vary of course based on what I've managed to find (so end weight does fluctuate a bit), but this is generally my ideal setup for roaming.  Anything else I may need is always sourced from whatever region I happen to find myself in, and stored at whatever "stopover" points I setup (documented in my journal).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I did reorder this a little bit... in my current Interloper run, I'm finding that I can live pretty well without any weapons or improved knives/axes.

• Upvote 1