Craft or repair animal clothing?

Syraith

I’m sorry if it’s been covered, didn’t see it but searching can yield more than a few results on some topics...

Anyway, I was curious if many find it better to just craft new clothing items rather than risk the repair failing? Not to mention, the % repair is so low for what a new item would require.

I can understand repairing is faster by far, but is this one of those things you would consider a last resort and just play the long game by making extras in spare time to equip instead?

The rabbit stuff especially. As abundant as they are, crafting extra mittens and head gear seems like a better option.

Thanks!

In some cases, Id say its better to tear up the clothing piece and just make it over again. Most notably the mooseskin cloak - it only takes one hide and harvesting it gives the hide back, so the meta is to just tear it up at some point and make it over again with 100%. Repairing it takes another hide and only achieves part of the result in terms of repairs. 

With rabbit stuff - I dont know,  I dont think so. Or it might depend on how confident you are with repairing clothes. As long as you repair clothes while fully rested, the chance of failure is not that high even with basic skill. And by re-crafting clothes you are not raising your mending skill to begin with. I would say that rabbit stuff is better to be repaired.

• Upvote 1

I always repair because there's always a few deer, rabbit and wolf skins in my hut. Never had animal clothes fail during repair.

I have: rabbit hat, wolf coat and deer pants.(also bear bedroll) The rest of the clothes are conventional, but I did have bear coat, rabbit mittens and deer boots at some point, but sprint/weight penalty was too great, so I left some items for now since I have enough cloth and cured leather to do repairs. I like to sprint occasionally.

One thing I noticed is to craft animal items, using fishing tackle is faster than seeing kit for some reason. Haven't paid attention during repairs if it makes difference.

Ok thanks! I hadn’t noticed repairing being lower when not rested so it’s good to know. I had an encounter with a bear and some wolves on my first setup in coastal highway. Deer pants and rabbit stuff needed repair. 
With so many 85% success fires failing, to see a couple repairs fail didn’t send any concern to me. At least one of each failed though.

This does help though. Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syraith said:

The rabbit stuff especially. As abundant as they are, crafting extra mittens and head gear seems like a better option.

Skins being abundant is precisely the reason why it doesn't matter even if you fail a repair. Same with wolf and deer. Moose and maybe bear are the only things that are rare.

1 hour ago, Syraith said:

Ok thanks! I hadn’t noticed repairing being lower when not rested so it’s good to know. I had an encounter with a bear and some wolves on my first setup in coastal highway. Deer pants and rabbit stuff needed repair. 
With so many 85% success fires failing, to see a couple repairs fail didn’t send any concern to me. At least one of each failed though.

This does help though. Thank you!

This is one of those hidden things within the game that the game (probably intentiously) doesnt really implicate. But yes, the % value you see with the chance to repair clothes is a base value. And how fatiqued the player is actually plays a major role. You can have 70% success rate and not fail once in 5 repairs if you are rested, but with 80% chance to suceed you can fail one repair 3 times in a row if you are fully exhausted. Althought it may seem like a good idea if you have some sunlight left to repair clothes at the end of the day when fatiqued, I would advise against it. Its better to sleep part through the day, and wake up with a few hours of night left, make a fire and repair at full strenght. You will waste a lot less valueable cloth this way.

But the point about having an abundance of hides is true as well. If you have lots of them, I would suggest to stop harvesting hides for some time, and not worry about a  fail repair or two with the hide based clothing. It is a good way to level up mending without wasting cloth later on.

• Upvote 1

It was the opposite at the time for me, was my first run and like 50 days in. Bear got me and ruined half of my gear pretty much. Had a bunch waiting to cure but only a couple singles read and, as mentioned, failed repair. The rabbit mittens were destroyed and I just made some improvised ones until I could craft again but for sure, knowing fatigue has such a big part to play is great to know!

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

This is one of those hidden things within the game that the game (probably intentiously) doesnt really implicate. But yes, the % value you see with the chance to repair clothes is a base value. And how fatiqued the player is actually plays a major role. You can have 70% success rate and not fail once in 5 repairs if you are rested, but with 80% chance to suceed you can fail one repair 3 times in a row if you are fully exhausted. Althought it may seem like a good idea if you have some sunlight left to repair clothes at the end of the day when fatiqued, I would advise against it. Its better to sleep part through the day, and wake up with a few hours of night left, make a fire and repair at full strenght. You will waste a lot less valueable cloth this way.

But the point about having an abundance of hides is true as well. If you have lots of them, I would suggest to stop harvesting hides for some time, and not worry about a  fail repair or two with the hide based clothing. It is a good way to level up mending without wasting cloth later on.

This would be such as a huge opportunity to use voice lines or animaitons to express mechanics without spelling it out.  They do it in other places to the point of annoyance..... I'm looking at you, carrying capacity.  The sound of the line snapping, poking your finger (especially if animated), doing that tired wrist shake.

...wait.... does that affect other things as well?