Hello from Germany

Hotzn

Hi. I am 44 years old, work as a commercial lawyer and am hooked on games ever since I was a kid. I am ashamed and proud at the same time to say that I bought Into the Long Dark on Steam and have logged 70 hours into the game (basically all my spare time during the last weeks). This is 70 hours of my life playing the life of some fictional person wandering through the wilderness. Weirdly enough, I feel this time of my life has been invested well. This game appeals to me very much.

I have programmed a little bit on the ZX 81 & Spectrum, on the Commodore 64 and other early machines during the 80s, and I may say that I have experienced the development of computer gaming from its beginnings (as a player). It seems that over the course of over 30 years (OMG...), I have played many games which are nowadays regarded as classics, through all genres - adventures, strategy, FPS and so on.

Well, that's basically all about myself that could be interesting to these forums. I will drop some comments about the game in the appropriate sub-forums. Excellent game, folks, and I can't wait to see more... :D

Hi & welcome to the forum ;)

It's not a shame to get hooked by this game, the devs did a fine job in ensuring this. It's amazing how so little can draw you so much, there's only one single player game where I've spent more time in it than in TLD, so you're not alone and you came to the right place :D

Iam 30 and so glad the "previous" generation is sensitive to this kind of fun too!

Glad to have you here!

Thanks. It's a bit strange really, I feel I belong to the first generation of video gamers, so to speak, but slowly I am getting old. When I was a kid we could not afford games, so we hacked and cracked everything and exchanged copies on acoustic tapes (!) and later on floppy disks (once the latest in technology) in school. Of the first popular games, we could put the tapes into a tape recorder and listen to the screeching sound the data produced. And we would recognize the game from its sound! That all seems so unreal now...

Later when I started earning money I became a good customer of the gaming industry until this day, haha!

Hi. I am 44 years old, work as a commercial lawyer and am hooked on games ever since I was a kid. I am ashamed and proud at the same time to say that I bought Into the Long Dark on Steam and have logged 70 hours into the game (basically all my spare time during the last weeks). This is 70 hours of my life playing the life of some fictional person wandering through the wilderness. Weirdly enough, I feel this time of my life has been invested well. This game appeals to me very much.

I have programmed a little bit on the ZX 81 & Spectrum, on the Commodore 64 and other early machines during the 80s, and I may say that I have experienced the development of computer gaming from its beginnings (as a player). It seems that over the course of over 30 years (OMG...), I have played many games which are nowadays regarded as classics, through all genres - adventures, strategy, FPS and so on.

Well, that's basically all about myself that could be interesting to these forums. I will drop some comments about the game in the appropriate sub-forums. Excellent game, folks, and I can't wait to see more... :D

Hi! Thanks for your kind words!

I am Ryan, Hinterland's community ambassador. Please let me know if you have any questions at any time (you can PM me if you like). Thanks for joining us!

Howdy, Hotzn!

Welcome to the forums. You're definitely not alone, as I'm about a year older than you and have been playing video games for several decades.

I share the same feelings that you have when I spend a lot of time on a game but, in the end, I'm quite certain that it's time well-spent when the game is of high quality and is so immersive, like TLD. Similar to what someone else posted here not too long ago, I have often caught myself thinking, "Hmm, maybe I shouldn't throw that away--it could make good tinder..."

Anyway, I'm pretty new here, too, but I'm glad to welcome you to the community and I look forward to seeing you around!

Regards,

--Gibbon

Archived