Lichen upgrade

In boreal forests in winter, lichen is a superstar. Not so much perhaps in an acute survival scenario, but especially for winter stores many peoples in the US, CA, and Scandinavia have collected bagfuls of the edible varieties. As posted previously, one can find many uses for the various lichens in the Northern hemisphere. I think a couple relatively minor changes to the lichens in TLD would be an easy way to add depth to the game.

I don't suggest plain-out adding this to the game without balancing. Do you have any ideas?

Canada's Horsehair lichen as a darker variant of the current Old Man's Beard. It is edible, actually fairly nutritious, either after a long cooking time, or in a Scandinavian style, after an alkaline bath. A popular traditional source for alkaline is ... charred birch bark.

Could put the humble charcoal to further use, no? Or the birch bark? I like the idea of having to for example weigh using birch bark for condition recovery or in making lichen edible!

notes:

I) Horsehair lichen (Bryoria)
Edible and with respectable calories, once cooked for a long time.

II) Reishi
Ground Reishi tinder for bow drill, and/or for fire-carrying a coal inside a hollowed out one.

III) Old Man's Beard
A good firestarter straight off the tree, no need to dry.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Nordique said:

In boreal forests in winter, lichen is a superstar. Not so much perhaps in an acute survival scenario, but especially for winter stores many peoples in the US, CA, and Scandinavia have collected bagfuls of the edible varieties. As posted previously, one can find many uses for the various lichens in the Northern hemisphere. I think a couple relatively minor changes to the lichens in TLD would be an easy way to add depth to the game.

I don't suggest plain-out adding this to the game without balancing. Do you have any ideas?

Canada's Horsehair lichen as a darker variant of the current Old Man's Beard. It is edible, actually fairly nutritious, either after a long cooking time, or in a Scandinavian style, after an alkaline bath. A popular traditional source for alkaline is ... charred birch bark.

Could put the humble charcoal to further use, no? Or the birch bark? I like the idea of having to for example weigh using birch bark for condition recovery or in making lichen edible!

notes:

I) Horsehair lichen (Bryoria)
Edible and with respectable calories, once cooked for a long time.

II) Reishi
Ground Reishi tinder for bow drill, and/or for fire-carrying a coal inside a hollowed out one.

III) Old Man's Beard
A good firestarter straight off the tree, no need to dry.

I like the idea of more flora in the game, however for balancing purposes it has be be thought about very carefully. When you add something useful into the game, you have to make something else harder, or make the item hard to get (like with the crampons and technical pack, they are put in a hard to get to region as a way to balance their useful ability's) If new wild flora are added, they should be unique to a region. I would say either broken railroad or hushed river valley, as there isn't much motivation to go to those regions in a long term game, adding a unique aspect such as useful flora into those regions would incite people to go there. If something new (that is helpful) is added, something else needs to be harder (or the item has to be hard to get).