Your favourite nemesis?

Niskavuori

I call mine The Old Ironside;
Named after Oliver Cromwell.

It is the bear near Fishing Village in CH. No matter how many arrows I shoot towards its' head, they end up to his hind legs or something like that, I'll be mauled, wrap myself to bandages and fix my clothing. Then there is like two to three blizzards and after them I start lookign for carcass. All I hear is crows singing to corpses around there. And I can't find that damned bear... I hate him. But love the challenge!

In loving memory of those lost arrows.

PS: While I was mauled, I saw 2 arrows sticking from The Old Ironside. Surely, it should bleed to death... After spending a full in-game day trying to find it I finaly bump to a very much alive bear near its' den. I managed to climb that rock leaning tree near there. A head shot, blood splatters and it still run a way.  Followed the paw marks in snow and saw the death scene near the small hut at the hill top. Only one lost arrow at the end.

Edited by Niskavuori
Post scriptum

I think,  I might have figured it out!

It's been my mistake all the time. Entering into a building after a shot to recuperate, seems to reset the bear. Had an other encounter with a bear on Misanthrope's Island - shot twice, both hit, entered the house, waited 2 hrs and found both arrows in front of the door. Retried from a fishing hut near there, waited an hour and found him ready to be harvested...

Conglusion: Am I my worst enemy in this game?

2 hours ago, Niskavuori said:

I thIt's been my mistake all the time. Entering into a building after a shot to recuperate, seems to reset the bear.

I tried it once and, as far as i noticed, there is no reset. I hit the first shot (rifle, in this case), but the bear was so close, then i reached the house's door. Some seconds later, i tried to get out and watch the situation. The bear was a little farther, but still could detect me, so i hit the second shot, tried to ready the third but he charged, so i had to get inside again. Some seconds later, i went out and the beast was over a blood pool on the ground.

So, i think that repeatedly enter/exit buildings has no effect on spawn reset. Actually i guess it accelerates the bleeding effect, perhaps, if you don't spend some time inside (my guess).

edit: it happened near Quonset garage, Costal Highway, in one of the houses with the canadian flag. IDK if there are different results in other types of buildings.

Edited by Old Hermit
  • Upvote 1

Next time you hunt a bear, use a campfire to keep him at bay.  Stand close behind the fire and shoot him, or maybe run behind the fire after you shoot him.  He’ll charge up and ... STOP.  Then you shoot him again.  With a very good head shot he often just dies on the spot.  Otherwise he will run off bleeding badly.  If you follow immediately you can catch him when he slows down and turns back towards you.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2021 at 8:00 AM, Niskavuori said:

Entering into a building after a shot to recuperate, seems to reset the bear.

I’ve read that this is a glitch. A more experienced player may be able to confirm. In my experience, I have had either scenario play out after shooting a bear. For me, it seems like passing time indoors may reset it, as opposed to entering a building and then exiting, but I haven’t fully tested it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Ravages of Time said:

I’ve read that this is a glitch... For me, it seems like passing time indoors may reset it, as opposed to entering a building and then exiting, but I haven’t fully tested it.

That might be it, I did pass time - played cards - inside after fixing my gear